Looking for a quality mid priced hunting optic need advice.

DLASURE2

FNG
Good evening

I am looking for a mid-price scope something in the $350 to $500 range for a couple of hunting rifles. I have a couple of simple requirements that seem to be e
Increasingly difficult to find now days. Scope must have a duplex or G4 reticle and the scope must be second focal plane. My short list so far is.
1. Tract Tekoa. 4-16
2. Meopta optica 5 or 6 3-15

Please add any contenders in this price range. Thank you in advance.

Scopes I have purchased and ruled out are.
GPO Passion
"poor low ligh performance"
Bushnell 4500 4-16 "looks like I am "looking through a thick black tube sight picture surrounded"
Burris 3-15 Signature HD
"Best of the bunch but sight picture is soft cannot focus to a crisp image"

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Save money and expand the price range. You will probably end up spending more money ruling things out sticking to a cheap price point. Consider selling one of the rifles, using the money from the rifle and the money that would have been used on its scope to get a better scope for the other rifle.

I pick my scopes on different criteria, so I'm no help on recommending specific scopes in any price range.

OP
DLASURE2

DLASURE2

FNG
Thankyou for your insight and I totally agree as an owner of several zeiss and swarovski optics I totally get the buy once cry once. I am setting up a couple of guns to give away as presents and can not justify putting my normal glass on them

The meopta has great reviews other than it shares the “looking through a thick black tube” complaint you mentioned about the Bushnell.
What’s the cartridge, intent, and range for this scope?

OP
DLASURE2

DLASURE2

FNG
All three guns are weatherby camilla's 2 of them are chambered in 243 and the third is chambered in 7mm-08. The 243's will be used for varmint, whitetail, hog, and possibly antelope. The 7mm-08 would be intended for whitetails up to limited distance elk.

Interesting enough there is no comparison between the meopta and the Bushnell. my humble estimate is the Bushnell has at least 3 to 4 times the black ring around the sight picture compared to the Meopta

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ll throw out a vote for the Maven crs.1

I have one on a 270 that spends most of the season in the truck, no issues.

Macintosh

WKR
I’d personally put a trijicon credo 3-9 or Huron 3-9 on all of these rifles. Both are in the price range at europtic and possibly elsewhere. Just check clearance of the bolt knob with the throw lever—credo may be an issue. Not sure about Huron, if not Id go that route.

KenLee

WKR
Thankyou for your insight and I totally agree as an owner of several zeiss and swarovski optics I totally get the buy once cry once. I am setting up a couple of guns to give away as presents and can not justify putting my normal glass on them
Burris fullfield iv 42 or 56 w illumination. $200 or $300 in hand from Scopelist

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
I got my Credo HX 4-16 on sale for $680 last year and just bought a Huron 3-9 for $299. Both at eurooptic. that’s a lot of scope for under $1,000! great deals. Used the Credo to dial a 550 yd shot on a coues in November.

OP
DLASURE2

DLASURE2

FNG
All three guns are weatherby camilla's 2 of them are chambered in 243 and the third is chambered in 7mm-08. The 243's will be used for varmint, whitetail, hog, and possibly antelope. The 7mm-08 would be intended for whitetails up to limited distance elk.

Interesting enough there is no comparison between the meopta and the Bushnell. my humble estimate is the Bushnell has at least 3 to 4 times the black ring around the sight picture compared to the Meopta
Trijicon Hurons are on sale

OP
DLASURE2

DLASURE2

FNG
So I called trijicon and asked them about the glass long and short either scope has the exact same components internally the difference is the optional illumination

sdupontjr

WKR
Meopta R 3-15x50. I have schmidt bender polar, optika 6, trijicon credo, trijicon accupont and the only one that is in your budget is the meopta R 3-15x50. Also comes with illuminated dot if your into that.
20240112_102458.jpg20240112_102535.jpg20240112_102529.jpg