Looking for black bear outfitter

atothek

FNG
Hey,
My buddy and I are looking to do our first black bear hunt, preferably with a bow. He lives in tx and I am in ca. Can anyone recommend a good outfitter? I'm thinking we need to get this planned for next year.
Thanks
Aaron

Vitals

WKR
No info on an outfitter but you don't necessarily have to plan it for next year. You have until December 30th here in CA and we are nowhere near are quota. Good luck Aaron.

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
We haven't narrowed it down. I was just curious if anyone here had a great experience with any specific outfitter.

colonel00

WKR
I don't have an outfitter per se but I could easily point you in the right direction for a DIY hunt in Alaska.

kickemall

WKR
I can't help you with an outfitter but a little more info. like - do you want to spot and stalk, hunt over bait or hunt behind hounds would help those who do know outfitters. If you want to save a little money and are willing to spot and stalk then stay in Ca. Ca. has one of the highest populations of bear in the lower 48 and a lengthy season, especially using a bow. As bear season opens with deer season in each zone you could combine the hunts. Because of the volume of feed that Ca. has it also produces some very large bear. One of few animals that I would truly recommend to hunt in Ca. Most of the deer hunters in the north state are saying they see more bear than deer. Any of the national forests are good but remember, bears follow feed. No feed, no bears. Green Diamond Resources on the northcoast has been crying for bear hunters on their property for several years and they have a large population of bears but also some brushy ground thats a little hard to hunt. The plus side is they log a lot so theres clear cuts and in the summer (archery season) the bears are often in them. They have a person who is in charge of managing the bear hunting so you could contact their office and get ahold of him for
info. Hope this helps.

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
Yeah it seems like staying here is a good idea. It will be interesting for us as we have never done a DIY bear hunt. I hoping we can wing it :)

shaun

WKR
CA is almost a sure thing for the bear hunter. As said lengthily season August 17-December 20th this year or until 1700 bears are killed (they are only in 500s now without hounds. If I were you I wouldn't worry about the guide wait a few more weeks find the acorns and you will find bears. What part of CA you looking at hunting?

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know where in CA u hunt or live, but I was up in Foresthill last week after the snow to give it one last try for deer and saw a ridiculous amount of bear tracks and sign. If you don't mind hiking into some of the canyons there was a ton of bear sign on the fringe of where the pines and oaks meet. I'm guessing they were eating the acorns, there were lots on the ground. I don't hunt bears but if I did, that's where I would go. Don't wanna jack this thread but has anyone ever tried predator calling here in northern CA.? You can pm me if you don't wanna get off topic. Just curious if it works at all here, if so that would b fun.

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
I live in Huntington Beach, moved here from texas a few years ago. I haven't done any bear hunting here, In fact I have never been bear hunting. So I wasn't sure if a DIY up in NorCal was a little outta my league

2rocky

WKR
If an OUTFITTED Black Bear hunt is what you want, Idaho makes it real easy. There is a spring and fall season and some areas allow you to shoot 2 bears.

The best outfitters are members of the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association, in addition to being simply licensed in Idaho.

Decide if you want:
Spot n' stalk, Bait or hounds
Lodge/4wd, horse/wall tent
wilderness, or logging units

No specific recommendations since you will determine what you want and how you mesh with an outfitter. Good luck.

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
@2rocky thanks. By the way I am picking up my gsp pup from Larry Lowell next Friday, I believe you mentioned him when I posted a thread about gsps before. :)