Looking for first timer advice

Eastfork

FNG
I'm looking to try out traditional archery. I've been compound bow hunting for 20 years. Looking to try something new!!

What Bow is recommended? I know nothing about traditional bows ..

Rob5589

WKR
Start light 30-35lbs
Start long 62+ inches
Get some lessons and/or buy Tom Clum's course
Jake Kaminsky has a ton of free info on YT
Find a friend/shop/group that can help you out

PatrickW

FNG
You might want to check out Clay Hayes’ YouTube channel too. He’s got a lot of good info.

I’d recommend starting out with a recurve. Get a three piece so that you can upgrade limbs from an original light weight later. I’ve not got any experience with the ILF bows, but they might be a good place to start. You can pick up decent limbs without spending a lot.

As mentioned, start light. Make sure your bow is long enough to handle your draw length without stacking if you have a longer DL. A lot of people say get a Samick Sage, and they are decent starter bows. Ebay has a ton of old used name brand bows at decent prices too. If you could go to a 3D shoot and handle and shoot some different bows that would be even better. Try to find someone to help you pick your arrows so they're at least close enough to being spined correctly that they fly decent until you get your form down, etc. It's fun, but be prepared to put the work in!! Takes a lot of practice. Annnndddd it's addictive and don't let anyone tell you it's cheaper.

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
Checkout the following; Samick Sage, Black Hunter (Amazon) or Galaxy Ember. I recommend getting a new fast flight string to use over what is supplied.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
Rms gear the home of Tom Clum does a sweet deal with the Samick sage bows and will do limb swaps with you as you build you weight up for a nominal fee. As other have said start light ish I would say 35-40 if you are shooting a 70# compound. I second the recommendation for the solid archery mechanics course, and it will get you going in the right direction. I know it’s not possible for everyone but if you can make a trip to Denver and get a one on one with Tom, Alex or one of the other great teachers at RMS gear it’s really worth it. Take your time and don’t jump into a custom bow right off the bat…it can be expensive…believe me I’ve done it…and am on my 6th or so now at this point. When you feel like you wanna jump down some of the companies offer a trial program, which I recommend to try different grips and setups. Ultimately I recommend a low and flat grip similar to a compound grip vs. a higher wrist grip. If I can help with anything let me know I’d be more than happy to answer any question.

-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
There is also podcasts with Tom clum coaching moments on the push. Super helpful! Welcome aboard

Roughneck

FNG
i recently just got into shooting traditional bows and was an avid compound bow shooter. i have only been shooting trad bows for about 3 weeks and it is much different for me than compounds. in my opinion so far there is so much more little things to learn and to concentrate on doing extremely consistently to get your shots to be consistently accurate. it takes a lot more attention to detail for me than compound shooting was to learn but i am definitely enjoying it a ton. i am getting very good groups out to 30 yards in just a short time but i do shoot twice a day and really try to focus on everything.
i agree with what others have said start with a lighter bow where you can learn correct form. i picked up a Damon Howatt off my local craigslist for a reasonable price and luckily a few friends of mine let me borrow some of their trad bows to try out. Tom Clum, Push Archery & Clay Hayes have some great content on YT.

OP
E

Eastfork

FNG
Thanks so much for all the info! Very helpful! Can't wait to try it out.

Start light...no more than half your compound draw weight.

Take some in-person lessons (https://www.usarchery.org/coaches/find-a-coach) or buy Tom Clum's Solid Archery Mechanics online course if you can't find a coach in your area.

A Samick (now Galaxy) Sage is a popular starter bow, but if you think you're going to stick with traditional archery long term, an entry level ILF (international limb fitting) setup might be a better starting point. ILF gives you a huge array of options for draw weight, riser/limb length, and riser/limb material.

Last edited: