Looking for that Mountain Rifle out to 500 yards

Really interested in the kimber Adirondack with that 18” barrel..... but am open to opinions on different rifles..... also wondering everyone’s experience on the rounds .308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem...... want this to be my mountain hunting trip rifle for elk, moose, maybe one day sheep or goat..... any info would be fantastic..... sniper buddy of mine claims 6.5 creedmoor is the most versatile round out there

Because of that last line, i cant tell if youre trolling, but either way they "could" all do fine. If i was adding elk id go with a bigger (case capacity) 6.5, but im sure the hoards will be here shortly to say otherwise.
If it were me and i wanted to stay in a short action, 300wsm would be the ticket. Im one of those "life is rarely perfect" sorta guys though so you probably wanna take that into consideration.

Last edited:
OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Because of that last line, i cant tell if youre trolling, but either way they "could" all do fine. If i was adding elk id go with a bigger (case capacity) 6.5, but im sure the hoards will be here shortly to say otherwise.
If it were me and i wanted to stay in a short action, 300wsm would be the ticket. Im one of those "life is rarely perfect" sorta guys though so you probably wanna take that into consideration.

Thanks man, no I’m absolutely not trolling just my one buddy whose a sniper has already advised me to go with the 6.5 however I’m always trying to get as many opinions on a heavy purchase as this is before I buy..... I think the Adirondack comes in .308 , 6.5, and 7mm-08 tho...., I’m a fan of bigger shock to the body cavity anyway especially if it’s guna be elk or moose which is the main reason I’m trying to get this rifle. Just a short barreled bull thrower..... I already have a savage 25-06 for deer just looking for a harder hitting round in the Adirondack.... it also comes in .300 AAC Blackout which I also know nothing about

elkguide

WKR
6.5 is an extremely accurate caliber.
7mm08 is one of my favorites for whitetails. (love the Kimber Montana in 7-08 that I have)
When it comes to elk/moose or the bigger ungulates, I always try and err on the side of "BIGGER is BETTER!"
I like a .30 caliber +.
My Kimber Montana in .300WSM only weighs 6# 2 oz. Makes a great lightweight mountain rifle.

Brendan

WKR
I love my Adirondack .308. Weighs 6lb scoped and loaded. Because of that - 500 yards is pushing it in my book unless you have a lot of practice shooting light rifles. It's a joy to carry all day.

At 500 and under, there's very little ballistic advantage to the 6.5CM. And especially because you're targeting Elk, I'd take the .308.

But... Not a heavy hitter. For 500 yards with Elk in the picture, I might look at .300 WSM. Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent. Tikka T3, etc.

You seem to have the smaller hooved beasts covered quite adequately with the 25-06. The blackout has no place in this conversation though, so that's an easy one. The 300 wsm is best for your needs imho.

I'd go with at least an -06 if 500 yards and elk/moose are on the table.

With that said, I have a Montana in 308 and a Subalpine in 280 on the way. I think they've fixed most/all of the problems they've had in the past.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar predicament almost 2 years ago when I moved back to BC. I ended up going with a Kimber in Montana in 30-06 largely due to its versatility, light weight, and I could easily get Lapua brass for it. Of the 3 calibres you mention I'd probably go 308, but I'd suggest taking a look at the Montana in a 30-06. It's marginally heavier than the 84m Montana, and its lighter than the 8400 Montana (WSM calibres come in the 8400 action). I tried a montana in 300 wsm and wasn't a fan of the girth of the rifle.

TauPhi111

WKR
If you are going after big animals with it, I'd go 308. 6.5 is the hottest round on the planet right now, but it'll suffer most velocity-wise from the short barrel, while 308 does fairly well in short barrels. With 308, you'll still get 2600ish FPS or so with 165 grain bullets. If you said deer/sheep/goat only, I'd def say 6.5, but for big animals, I want bigger bullets when your case capacity and velocity is limited

Not to take anything away from your sniper buddy, but I used to work in those circles and the focus is rounds on target. You need very little to kill humans and game is very different. All the advice you have so far is good. I will simply say shoot the cartridge you are most comfortable with for your intended range.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Man decisions decisions..... I’m usually a true blue bow only guy but this year has me only being able to hit late late Colorado rifle and I’m kicking myself that I don’t have a better elk gun since all I got is the 25-06...... from what I’m reading .308 in Adirondack or 300WSM in the Montana

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Also what would all of you say to hunting a grizzly with the 18” barreled Adirondack chambered with the .308

elkguide

WKR
Also what would all of you say to hunting a grizzly with the 18” barreled Adirondack chambered with the .308

Every grizz that I have stood face to face with has had a bad attitude. IF push were to come to shove, I want something to change that attitude FAST! .30 caliber minimum and I like a magnum in that case.

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 prc, 28 nosler, are 2 of my favorites. Nobody is talking about glass or reloading.

4.5 years into long range shooting. My first thought is , lots of people forget how far a couple hundred yards is much less 500. Part of me feels if you dont know what to shoot at 500 yards, dont shoot at an animal 500 yards. Go ding some steel.

But I'm probably overstepping. I'm sure you will be well practiced.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Ing
6.5 prc, 28 nosler, are 2 of my favorites. Nobody is talking about glass or reloading.

4.5 years into long range shooting. My first thought is , lots of people forget how far a couple hundred yards is much less 500. Part of me feels if you dont know what to shoot at 500 yards, dont shoot at an animal 500 yards. Go ding some steel.

But I'm probably overstepping. I'm sure you will be well practiced.

I got you man I’m well off with iron sights at 300 as we qualify that quite often.... so naturally with a long gun and some glass 500 is the next step

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I’m just ready for a rifle for bigger game however I really like the 18” smaller rifles.... although I’m slightly concerned with “will the .308 be good enough to drop bigger game to include moose and grizz” if I must upgrade to a Montana or mountain ascent then I will but realistically if I can get away with it I’ll get the .308 Adirondack......, but if enough ppl that have experience in big game country believe that 300WSM is the better route then I’ll look into that harder

Lou2

FNG
Sounds like we're looking for similar rifles. I've narrowed my search down to the Tikka T3x lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. I know there is no such thing as a perfect do-it-all round but I'm comfortable with its abilities for elk out to 400 and will not be using it on moose. 75% of its use will be deer sized game and the wife will also be able to use it on the rare occasions that she tags along.

Silver

FNG
I’m toying with a similar build/idea as a lightweight mountain rifle, but rather than go with a production rifle I’m considering a semi-custom/modification project. I’m thinking that a stock Kimber 84M Hunter, cut down to a 18” barrel that is fluted with a fluted/skeletonize bolt and handle should come in at about the same price as the Adirondack and is available in other calibers. I’m looking at a this as a dedicated sheep/goat/Mule Deer rifle (already have a 300wsm x-bolt), so 7-08 or 6.5 are my go-to ideas for the time being.

Food for thought anyways.

I’m just ready for a rifle for bigger game however I really like the 18” smaller rifles.... although I’m slightly concerned with “will the .308 be good enough to drop bigger game to include moose and grizz” if I must upgrade to a Montana or mountain ascent then I will but realistically if I can get away with it I’ll get the .308 Adirondack......, but if enough ppl that have experience in big game country believe that 300WSM is the better route then I’ll look into that harder

I have both a montana in 300wsm and an adirondack. Both are fantastic little guns. I can't weigh in on brown bear, but have no qualms about elk hunting with a 308 inside of your proposed ranges. The 300 is the only wsm cartridge that really interests me and is a SA version of the classic WM. It does everything it's big brother does with almost identical ballistics only in a scaled down action. It's really up to you. One thing to note about the adirondack is kimber (for whatever reason) didn't twist it aggressively. I've not tried 180's in mine yet and intend to keep it in the 168gr or less. It may shoot 180's but the twist in it would concern me if that was a necessity. If considering a 308 and wanting to shoot the heavier bullets through it Barret's fieldcraft is twisted right and offers the 18" barrel.