Looking for Truck/Trailer/Towing opinions on a new Trailer

I want to run this by the group for a sanity check. I want to get a bigger Travel Trailer now that the kids are getting older/bigger etc. My current trailer is 3,600lbs dry and I have pulled it all over the west (mainly Colorado) with zero issues, most of the time I am fully loaded down with water and plenty of toys/gear. The truck handles it with zero stress, 70-75 MPH if I need too, high winds no problem, mountain passes I can accelerate with ease. I am pretty dead set on the new trailer being an Outdoors RV, but its heavy with the way they are built.

I am not adverse to a new truck, but I really don't want to buy one right now in todays auto environment. My plan would be to keep this F150 for another year or 2, then probably time for an F250 with as much as I do tow my current trailer. But, could I get through another summer & hunting season with my current setup?

Please let me know your thoughts on pulling this new setup with the 1/2 ton.

Truck:
2017 F150 w/ 3.5 eco boost and the max tow goodies and 3.55 gears
12,200 Tow rating
1,725 Payload
17,100 GCWR

Current trailer:
18' box, 21' total length
3,660 dry weight (no slides)
382 dry hitch weight
35 gallon fresh water tank (drive with it full a lot...~280lbs)
2 20lb LP tanks (60lbs full) + 2 AGM batteries upfront (~100lbs)
14k Equalizer hitch (105lbs)

New Trailer:
23' box, 27' total length
6350 dry weight (includes all options, I would likely be a touch lighter with out some goodies)
695 lb dry hitch weight
80 gallon fresh water tank (I think around ~40-50 gallons would fit most trips, but up to max 640lbs of water)
2 30lb LP tanks (110lbs) + 2 AGM batteries upfront (~100lbs)
14k Equalizer Hitch (105lbs)

I think the truck will have plenty of power to pull it, even in Colorado, but the payload is what's got me concerned that a new trailer might = new truck.

New trailer setup would put about 1,000 dry on the hitch (including the hitch itself) leaving me with about 725 payload to spare. Me + Wife + Kids probably total 450lbs being generous, so now I have ~275lbs of gear I can add. We like to haul firewood, chairs, and bikes/kayaks in the bed of the truck that I can't imagine being 275 total pounds, but its probably 150-200 or so, which doesn't leave much room. Then throw some recovery gear and a few other things in the cab and I think I would be at max payload if I loaded like I normally do today.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I am NO expert, as I'm just getting into trailering myself...but I have been doing a TON of research on this topic so take this for what it's worth (very little)!

I think you'll be fine. The way I look at it (and I've talked to a LOT of people who all generally agree on this) is that the auto manufacturers use those numbers to cover their own ass...meaning they are conservative numbers. I feel you can comfortably go at least 10% over those numbers and be good. I don't think a couple hundred extra pounds of cargo is going to break your truck.

Bottom line: Know your rig. If you are going to be towing at, or near your vehicle's limits you should drive it like you are an old man.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I would use what you have until u get a new truck. I have a 3/4 ton Ram Cummins and it pulls my 30’ over grades easily, and the exhaust brake is priceless. I would take a chance on breaking things if they are working for ya…. Good luck.

What is the GVWR of the new trailer? I would use ~12% to calculate a worst-case hitch weight to get the right payload numbers. You'll have plenty of power to tow, even in CO, and you are right to worry about the payload. I think you are most likely within limits, and I wouldn't even worry about going over slightly in the short term.

wyosteve

WKR
What does your current truck weigh full of fuel, etc. Need to know that to factor into GCWR. As an example, my Ram 3500 SRW weighs around 9000 empty. I know your F150 isn't that heavy, but even it it's close to 8000, you might be pushing the GCWR with the new trailer and truck bed loaded.

b2one

WKR
With all of the discussion about GCWR and power, how is your braking set-up? At max GCWR on mountain roads, I would worry as much about the downhill as I would uphill power. Once you fill your tanks on your new trailer, it will probably weigh as much as your truck. Is your truck set up with engine braking, exhaust brake, or is it all relying on the truck's calipers to slow you down?

wapitibob

WKR
My 2020 f150 weighs 5600 with me and a full tank, and have pulled a 4600# Nash and now pull a 3200# Nash.
I chose not to do it and bought the smaller trailer.

OP
B
What is the GVWR of the new trailer? I would use ~12% to calculate a worst-case hitch weight to get the right payload numbers. You'll have plenty of power to tow, even in CO, and you are right to worry about the payload. I think you are most likely within limits, and I wouldn't even worry about going over slightly in the short term.
Outdoors RV lists the specs at 9,995lbs, so at 12% thats 1200lbs and would leave me ~525lbs of payload

OP
B
What does your current truck weigh full of fuel, etc. Need to know that to factor into GCWR. As an example, my Ram 3500 SRW weighs around 9000 empty. I know your F150 isn't that heavy, but even it it's close to 8000, you might be pushing the GCWR with the new trailer and truck bed loaded.
I have not weighed it at a truck scale, but Ford lists it as 5,275 with a full tank of fuel and all options, but no passenger weight. So much less than the 8k you mentioned. Its the alum body and the reason I bought that truck with that 3.5 eco boost engine because at the time it was the most powerful lightest truck you could buy...I was thinking about plowing through snow in the late seasons. Which by the way, it is a beast in snow.

OP
B
With all of the discussion about GCWR and power, how is your braking set-up? At max GCWR on mountain roads, I would worry as much about the downhill as I would uphill power. Once you fill your tanks on your new trailer, it will probably weigh as much as your truck. Is your truck set up with engine braking, exhaust brake, or is it all relying on the truck's calipers to slow you down?
Yeah, downhill would be worry #2 next to overloading payload...I have thought a lot about it. The truck is equipped with the max tow package which comes with the trailer brake controller in the cab...so uses trucks brakes and the trailer breaks to control stopping, an anti sway control (some sort of smart system that brakes and speeds up for you if it feels sway), and the engine braking is controlled by the pretty nice 10 speed transmission and in tow mode it does very well controlling my lighter trailer now.

Its no diesel I know...but for a half ton, it seems like it has about all the goodies you can have.

Last edited:
OP
B
My 2020 f150 weighs 5600 with me and a full tank, and have pulled a 4600# Nash and now pull a 3200# Nash.
I chose not to do it and bought the smaller trailer.
Good to know with Ford listing mine at 5275, I probably need to go get a real world weight.

Are you saying you downsized to the 3200# Nash because you didn't like how the F150 did wit the 4600# bigger trailer?

By the way, the Nash is on my list too, the 24B model...but thats 6600# if I recall, so even heavier and doesn't have the outdoor cook station pull out that I really want to have (and would use often). They make nice rigs though, so congrats on having something pretty cool I'm sure.

jimh406

WKR
Your current truck will do pretty well at altitude due to the turbos. You maybe find out that a F250 unless you go with a diesel will be gutless in comparison. The F250 will be a lot heavier.

That being said, going almost double the weight for 5 ft in length doesn’t seem like a great idea. My guess it also has a lot more height which means it will be harder to control in wind.

A few years ago, we had a 24 ft Terry fiberglass trailer that weighed about the same as the big trailer you are looking at. The Expedition that we had would tow it just find until the wind picked up. My wife generally has no issues with driving RVs. She literally pulled over when the wind picked up when we were going down hill. She was totally fine with the uphill. It’s a lot more wind resistance when you add height, length, and weight. It will also be a lot more to stop.

I would do a bit more shopping for the TT and look for one that is shorter, lighter, but still with a slide if that is what you want. Or, keep the TT you have for a bit longer.

The question you need to be asking is not will it pull it the question is will it STOP it. I have no experience towing with one of the newer half tons so I may be taking out of my ass here but in my opinion 20ft long is the limit for a bumper pull trailer and 6000 pounds is about the limit I would trust with a half ton. Especially in Colorado where the roads are steep and packed with idiots.

wapitibob

WKR
Good to know with Ford listing mine at 5275, I probably need to go get a real world weight.

Are you saying you downsized to the 3200# Nash because you didn't like how the F150 did wit the 4600# bigger trailer?

By the way, the Nash is on my list too, the 24B model...but thats 6600# if I recall, so even heavier and doesn't have the outdoor cook station pull out that I really want to have (and would use often). They make nice rigs though, so congrats on having something pretty cool I'm sure.
No, I sold the 4600# (Nash 17k) for insane profit then chose to go light after looking at my options, which was another Nash. The 25c is 5600 empty and another 2000# with water and gear. Just more weight than I wanted to pull. The 4600# trailer moved the truck around a bit, not bad but I knew it was there. The little trailer, a Nash 17c doesn’t move the truck at all. My friends have the 25c and a 24b, both pull with f350 6.7’s.

All three of us get 10 mpg when towing.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
If F250 is an option that's the answer.

Your truck will probably pull that trailer just fine but the added capacity of a properly outfitted 3/4 or 1 ton truck will just make life easier. Our F250 has 3000# capacity and pulls a fifth wheel camper with a boat behind it like a champ. Fourty some gallon gas tank means we can go a long ways without stopping and when we do stop it handles the load very well.

Our next truck will be a F350 for sure.

Depending on finances, if I were you I would find a dealer in your area that will allow you to order a truck at MSRP and get on the wait list for what you really want. That way you can avoid the stupidity of the current market.

Outdoors RV lists the specs at 9,995lbs, so at 12% thats 1200lbs and would leave me ~525lbs of payload
You'll be pushing payload if you fully load it, but as long as you keep an eye on it you'll be fine. I have a similar 1/2 ton truck and have pulled an #8k, 32ft trailer up and over Eisenhower quite a few times. Since you might be at your limits, just watch your driving more carefully.

Elk97

WKR
I tow our 2019 ORV 21RBS with a 2014 F150 (5.0L). It does a good job but it's definitely at the top of its towing capability. Our tongue weight is approx 800-900?. I have a good WD hitch and it's rated at 1000 but I have to set it up at the max to level the truck (4WD Supercrew). The ORVs are heavy, and generally the tongue weight is higher than the printed spec. Not sure which model you are looking at but it's heavier than ours and I wouldn't want to tow more than what we have with the 150 even though it has the power. For comparison we had a Nash 17K and the truck pulled/handled it easily. I've towed everything under the sun for 50 years and I think you would be asking for trouble going with that heavy of an ORV with your 150 but depends on where you are and how much you'll be towing it. PM me if you want more info. I'm leaving WA for Bozeman towing the trailer on Sept 6.

Elk97

WKR
There is a big difference between the 5.0 and the ecoboost with a MaxTow package.
Yep, but the 525 payload he expects to have is going to disappear with the heavier than advertised tongue weight on the much larger and heavier ORV he's looking at. They are famous for being heavier than listed and much heavier on the hitch. For example, ours shows tongue weight of 700 and it's probably pushing 1000 depending on how we have it loaded. 300 over his expected tongue weight and he's down to 225 payload (enough for the driver and no cargo). Just trying to let him know that he shouldn't count on the numbers published from ORV. They're great trailers (love ours) but heavy.