Looking for winter goat hunting tips

Any tips for winter goat hunting? I know mountain fog sucks on the BC North Coast. I’ve got warm layers and cover up camo. What weather conditions should I be watching for that they will be low? Gear must haves?

Decker9

WKR
Welcome to the crazy club!! The true definition of “type 2 fun” lol.

Though I’m not successful yet in winter (other then photos of sub par Billy’s), I have spent a lot of time chasing them in winter. In my experience, the only time you’ll find the mature billys down low is during the rut. Any time Iv been out between Christmas and February (after rut), the Billy’s have been as high up as they are in September, and in just as gnarly of terrain as well. Generally, if I see Billy’s down low in winter, their young Billy’s still hung up with their nannies.

Probably 75% of my time, has been sitting waiting on weather, truly the first big obstacle of winter goat hunting. Once a goat is located, add about twice the time to get to him then what you think it will take. Iv never noticed weather push goats lower in the winter, unlike fall. Seems the first snows will push Billy’s low, but not the case in winter, in my experience.

My clothing doesn’t change to much vs fall hunts, except adding wool pants and my Sitka blizzard parka (changing out to Kifaru insulated bottoms and kelvin WS hoody for this winter)

I highly recommend the MSR lightning accents for shoes, pretty amazing in steep slippery ground. Iv never used crampons, but I will be adding them to my bag for this February. Both a couple must have’s imo. Something else I’m considering, is an ice axe/pick, Iv been in situations where one would have been very useful.

And, a good partner!! Iv always hunted solo, but am realizing that hunting winter goats, is better with a partner, and make sure he’s half crazy as well!!

Cant wait for February, this tags been burning in my pocket all season.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

OP
.300WinMag
Thank you for the tips. What kind of rope and how long a length should I carry or keep in the truck? I carry 100’ of paracord in my pack.

Decker9

WKR
Iv never looked to far into rope, I do pack 100’ of light cord, but being mostly solo, I am very cautious on where I would go. If I had a partner, it would certainly open up my comfort level. Ropes and knots are something I’d like to learn better some day.