Louisiana Blck Bear

The Louisiana Black Bear population has supposedly doubled in the last ten years to maybe around 1500. People have become absolutely obsessed with posting Black Bear sightings caught on their trail cams overlooking their deer feeders. The La. Dept. Of Conservation has received public pressure to open a season next year and recently agreed to do so. The Soccer Moms feel threatened and the Deer Hunters are having their corn eaten. lol. What’s a Bear to do? How big are Black Bear populations in the States that already have a regular bear season and what percentage are harvested.

Wrench

WKR
It's REALLY hard to count bears. They don't herd up nor have winter range and are masters of being sneaky.

We had 8 different bears on our cameras that occupied 3 locations in a few hundred acres. The unit is about 20 x20 miles....so go figure.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
California claims to have between 25,000 and 35,000 black bear. Since the commies outlawed hunting with hounds in 2013, the yearly quota of 1700 bear has not been met.

fatlander

WKR
Bears have exploded in central Virginia in my life time. They’re cool but not without issue. They get into stuff and they’ll run deer off a food source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. I grew up outside NOLA in St Tammany parish. Black bears had been extirpated in that area for decades by then. As I recall, they were really only present in the atchafalaya basin in the lower part of the state Back then. Somewhere around here I have a book with vintage photos of a bear hunt on the north shore of lake ponchartrain from the 1950s. Apparently there were tons of bears back then. I recall a bear that walked thru that area 15 years ago causing a bit of a spectacle / shit fit. Now I think they see them near the pearl river area somewhat regularly.

I live in the northeast now. We have bears. Other than spotting them from the road 2-3x a year and dumping my garbage every couple of years, I would never know they were there. One lady in a rural area about 20 miles away had a bit of bad luck And got mauled a bit. In fairness it sounds like it was a rural residence and they were processing at least 3 deer in the yard With “parts” all over. She walked around the corner of the house onto a mama and cubs and startled the bears. Momma went defensive and the lady had some minor injuries and a cool story.

Tx_300wsm

FNG
This is cool, just sent it to my father in law. I’m a Texas resident but do most of my hunting in Richland parish. I’ve heard lots of stories about bear around that area.