Lowa Camino gtx

Hey everyone, I'm looking at getting new boots next spring. I was eyeing the Lowa Camino and wondering if some of you have tried them?
I'm a 12” and about a D width.

Thanks.

Hey everyone, I'm looking at getting new boots next spring. I was eyeing the Lowa Camino and wondering if some of you have tried them?
I'm a 12” and about a D width.

Thanks.

Best made boots I have ever had. One thing I kept reading they run large. I have a measured 12ee with a high volume arch so rather than sizing up I ordered that size and they were great for a month and as they started to break in I got painful pressure on the top of my foot.

I was fortunate because Lowa wouldn’t help me out because my son with a 12d found they fit perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a pair that I thought were amazing. I tested them out on a VERY steep hill in my elk unit and got heel-slip unfortunately. For everything else they were amazing out of the box. Luckily I bought at REI so I could return them. Ended up with Crispi Guides which I have yet to really try out. Felt I needed a slightly higher boot as well, but hopefully I like these Crispis since I'm stuck with them...

twdjr

WKR
I really like mine. I'll be using the Renegade and Camino on my upcoming archery hunt elk.

For a dry weather boot they’d be great. I went through 4 pairs in 3 years because they couldn’t keep my feet dry. All failed within a couple months of being new. I loved everything else about the boot..but I live in western wa (unfortunately) and I need a waterproof boot.

OP
Nickoftime
For a dry weather boot they’d be great. I went through 4 pairs in 3 years because they couldn’t keep my feet dry. All failed within a couple months of being new. I loved everything else about the boot..but I live in western wa (unfortunately) and I need a waterproof boot.
Thanks for that tip! I live in Western MT, and it can get wet, but mostly dry with wet mornings. How was the traction in the wet conditions?

TheTone

WKR
Love mine! I’ve used a few different Lowe’s and they may be my favorite. They hit a sweet spot for me in the stiffness/flex range

Jimss

WKR
I used and abused caminos for a couple years. I’m really tough on boots and wear them in the field every day at work. Mine finally came apart at the seams….mostly from getting wet.

Since that time I’ve pretty much switched to crispis due to frustrations with other boots falling apart at seams when wet. I currently have 3 pairs of crispis and they tend to cost more but last longer. All leather tends to outlast synthetics so that may be worth considering.

Thanks for that tip! I live in Western MT, and it can get wet, but mostly dry with wet mornings. How was the traction in the wet conditions?
Traction was great in all conditions. I dealt with wet feet for a few years only because it was such a good boot otherwise.

OP
Nickoftime
Traction was great in all conditions. I dealt with wet feet for a few years only because it was such a good boot otherwise.
Huhh the goretex didn't stop the water? Or was it just over time the boot got soaked?

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I like mine a lot, have put hundreds of miles on them and they're starting to show it, but I have found that every boot really benefits from regular maintenance. Clean, seam seal, and waterproof treatment at LEAST once a year depending on how much you use them and you can triple the life of your boots. When you start to get some delamination or seams coming apart get on top of it quick with some shoe goo or toe protector- I'm a big fan of KG

Huhh the goretex didn't stop the water? Or was it just over time the boot got soaked?
Goretex warrantied the boots twice. They wouldn’t have done that if their product didn’t fail. Once the leather got saturated they would start to leak through. None of the pairs I had were close to being worn out either. If I coulda got one out of the four pairs to make it a couple seasons with dry feet I woulda called that good enough. But they didn’t so I moved on.

I ran mine for three years. Great until they get wet. Then they are crazy heavy. Never could keep them dry not matter what I did. Dry conditions they work great. More flex than the Tibet but still are fairly stiff for packouts. Going to run Crispis now.

Baron528

FNG
I have a pair of the LL Caminos with 300-400 miles on them. They only get used on hunts where I need the extra support (I generally use rubber/knee highs here in WI). I've used them from 85 degree days in Colorado to 20 degree days with 12" of snow in Iowa. They fit my feet like gloves and were comfortable right out of the box.

I use gaiters with all leather boots and wouldn't recommend the Caminos for wet conditions. If they do get soaked, it usually takes a full day for them to dry out I've found. Maintenance/waterproofing is a must with them but they are the most comfortable boot I own.

Sako300

WKR
I have ran the Camino gtx for 5 years! Best boot for all around hunting and comfort! I have 2 pairs just in case one pair gets wore out!

I have had a pair for 2 years now. I like them a lot. I’ve never experienced wet feet at all, so the Goretex has worked for me. Never any blisters or support issues either. I recommend them.

GotDraw?

WKR
Best made boots I have ever had. One thing I kept reading they run large. I have a measured 12ee with a high volume arch so rather than sizing up I ordered that size and they were great for a month and as they started to break in I got painful pressure on the top of my foot.

I was fortunate because Lowa wouldn’t help me out because my son with a 12d found they fit perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Farmingdale's Finest :

pain on the top of the foot-- you are most likely tightening the lower laces far too tight. NOTE- the stock insoles in the boots suck, but the boots are fantastic.

I use these boots and love them, but the ball-bearing lacing system that makes it sooo fast ah=nd easy to tighten the lower portion of the laces also makes it easy to over-tighten the lower laces, then add the truly excellent heel lock eyelets on these boots holds the laces in place so efficiently that the pressure on top of the foot compresses the foot too much over time = pain on top of the foot.

I have had the same issue, but have a solution.

Suggestion: Get custom over-the counter heat molded insoles, trim them to fit/copy the stock insoles, toss the original insoles. Heat-mold the new insoles and install them. Now- don't tighten the top laces as much, the custom matched arch support of the new insole will LOCK your foot in boot so it won't slide around.

Give this a try.

JL

The arch support of the

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
Caminos are extremely good boots., I have used them for 5 yrs. I also have the Crispi Colorado, also a fantastic boot.

The ONLY area where Caminos lack is the very forward part of the sole edge at the toe. It is slightly rounded. Crispi Colorados have a sole edge at the toe that is square.

The benefit to the front toe edge being square on the Crispi boots is seen in *EXTREMELY* steep terrain where you are forced to kick-in toe holds in order to climb (or risk falling). The Lowas are very competent in steep terrain, but when you have to kick toe holds a square toe edge is better.

Other than that, I do like the lacing system on the Lowas better and I think the uppers are better designed and provide a little more support than the Colorados.

JL

PHo

WKR
I went through two pairs in the regular width and they always started leaking water on me after a weeks of use. Then I realized that I have wide feet and got a pair in the wide size and have been able to use that pair for the last three hunting seasons. I only use them for hunting, so 1-2 months out of the year. My current pair is still waterproof, but the tread has been worn down all the way.