Lowa Camino, Ticam or Crisp Thor, Summit

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Several months ago I posted a thread on boot help. I ordered a pair of scarpa charmoz really hoping they would work. Over all the boot was a little stiffer than I expected and the fit was good but not great. Little low on volume and slightly tight near the pinky toe. I probably could have went up a size to a 47 but didn’t bother as I felt they would be too much boot.

As my search has continued I have been looking hard at the Lowa and Crispi boots. I tried on a pair of Caminos the other day and they felt great. Fit was good, ankle support seemed great, but I felt the boot was a little flexiable. I am wondering if anyone has used ticams how do they compare to the Camino? I have been told they are about as stiff as the Tibet with a better feel and more precise fit.

In the Crispis I am looking at the Thor and Summit. I feel like those are the two most comparable boots in the line up. I don’t have a retailer around here so I would be ordering which is not a big deal. I really liked the Lowa but don’t want to miss anything overlooking the Crispi.

I would like to hear from some people who have maybe worn both brands and maybe some or even all of these boots. Give me the good, bad and ugly. Which boots do you feel have performed the best. How’s the durability, which lacing system do you like more. Do the Crispis really have that suction cup feel on like everyone says? If you have used the warranty or needed customer service how was it? Some people say the Crispi boots lack durability and others that Lowa boots leak. So let me hear what you all think.

Alan.

Last edited:

LaHunter

WKR
I have the Ticams and the Caminos. For me, the Ticams are much better. The sole is stiffer / more supportive and the toe area has a little bit more room. I like the Caminos, but the toe area is a bit too snug for a perfect fit. Also, the Ticams have a better lacing system than the Caminos. It’s the same lacing system as the Tibets.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ticams and the Caminos. For me, the Ticams are much better. The sole is stiffer / more supportive and the toe area has a little bit more room. I like the Caminos, but the toe area is a bit too snug for a perfect fit. Also, the Ticams have a better lacing system than the Caminos. It’s the same lacing system as the Tibets.

Do you feel they are worth the up charge over the Camino? They look like the best boot for me. They aren’t crazy heavy but not the lightest option. How’s the ankle support compared to the Camino? How’s the durability been out of your Lowas?

LaHunter

WKR
The Ticam upper feels plenty supportive to me. I guess they are worth the extra cost vs the Caminos, since they fit me better. I don’t have a ton of miles on either of these in mountain terrain, but I do have a good bit of pretty tuff miles on my Tibet’s, and their durability has been very good over the past 5 seasons in WY

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
The Ticam upper feels plenty supportive to me. I guess they are worth the extra cost vs the Caminos, since they fit me better. I don’t have a ton of miles on either of these in mountain terrain, but I do have a good bit of pretty tuff miles on my Tibet’s, and their durability has been very good over the past 5 seasons in WY

Thanks much. If the ticam is wider like everyone says it will be worth the money for me as well. Caminos had a little pressure around my pinky toe. That’s what I wanted to hear. 5 years out of boots in the mountains is a good deal of time.

Thanks again.

Jimss

WKR
I have experience with Lowa Tibets, Caminos, Vantage, and Renegades. I would rank them in that order from stiff to flexible. I used Vantage on my last 2 mtn goat hunts in Alaska and they worked great. The Caminos are a little taller, heavier, and stiffer than Vantage. My favorite boot on the list would be the Vantage due to being lighter and a tad more flexible than the Caminos. I wear the Vantage every day at work where I use and abuse them. I can cover gobs of miles and still have plenty stiffness for the goat/sheep hills.

It sounds like you like lots of ankle support. If Caminos aren't quite stiff enough...Tibets may be perfect? Super stiff, heavy, thick soled boots are tough to stalk game quietly plus heavier when hiking lots of miles. Tibets are about the most comfortable boots I own but they usually sit on the shelf except in deep snow.

The nice thing about all Lowas is they come in different widths. I don't like narrow boots so always buy wide. I also buy 1 size larger so I can add more cushioned insoles plus heavier socks in cold weather. I just tighten the laces when I wear lighter socks. The only Lowa boot I've had leaking issues with were the Renegades.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I have experience with Lowa Tibets, Caminos, Vantage, and Renegades. I would rank them in that order from stiff to flexible. I used Vantage on my last 2 mtn goat hunts in Alaska and they worked great. The Caminos are a little taller, heavier, and stiffer than Vantage. My favorite boot on the list would be the Vantage due to being lighter and a tad more flexible than the Caminos. I wear the Vantage every day at work where I use and abuse them. I can cover gobs of miles and still have plenty stiffness for the goat/sheep hills.

It sounds like you like lots of ankle support. If Caminos aren't quite stiff enough...Tibets may be perfect? Super stiff, heavy, thick soled boots are tough to stalk game quietly plus heavier when hiking lots of miles. Tibets are about the most comfortable boots I own but they usually sit on the shelf except in deep snow.

The nice thing about all Lowas is they come in different widths. I don't like narrow boots so always buy wide. I also buy 1 size larger so I can add more cushioned insoles plus heavier socks in cold weather. I just tighten the laces when I wear lighter socks. The only Lowa boot I've had leaking issues with were the Renegades.

Great information. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. If the Ticam falls between the Camino it should be the perfect boot for me. It took a lot to not bring the Caminos home the other day. Just want something a little more substantial. I’m glad to hear from more than one user that the durability is great. Thanks for your help and wealth of knowledge.

blkntancj

FNG
Just throwing this out there as far as fit, I've found the Lowas to run a bit small. I wear size 9 in just about everything else, but in the Lowas 9 1/2 fits better.

Jimss

WKR
I've found the same thing about sizing small.....but I usually buy around 1 to 1 1/2 size larger so I have more volume for padded insoles and socks. It's always possible to cinch them down but if too small you are a bit screwed.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input on the sizing guys. When I tried the Caminos on I pulled the factory insole from the 12 which is the size I typically wear in Nike and they seemed to have plenty of length. With that being said Nike also runs a bit small. I felt like they had plenty of room but when I order I may try another size up and if I don’t like them return them and get the 12.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoyed my Caminos I have had for about 6 months. I've put some decent miles on them and haven't had any big issues. My feet did get pretty wet one day hunting in the rain, but not sure if that was from leaking or wicking down from the top not wearing rain pants. My dad was on the same hunt wearing Crispis and had no issues with wet feet. I would have probably gone with Crispi if they came in 15s as the feedback on them seems very positive for the most part.