Lower odds areas, Nevada

Calbuck

WKR
I've often read that "every unit in Nevada holds big bucks". With that in mind, do you think the lower odds units actually have less deer and fewer big bucks in them, or is this a case of "loose lips sink ships" kind of deal? I'm looking at lower draw odds and more frequent hunting vs. more hype/higher odds as I try to determine my deer application for Nevada. I'd like to hear some opinions from Nevada hunters on this, no need to give up your secret spot!

SDHNTR

WKR
You've got it backwards. Higher hype and reputation = lower odds. Off the radar, less deer or lower general quality hunts will have the higher odds. Lower odds mean harder to draw and vice versa. I understand your logic but you stated it opposite like. And I don't think there really are any off the radar sleeper hunts anymore. Mother Internet has made information too efficient and available to everyone.

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
Thanks for the insight SD, I think you're right, I do have the odds thing backwards..think I should have said "better draw odds" vs. "worse odds". it seems to me when people talk about great units in Nevada, you either hear 231/241 or area 6, etc. there are many more units that don't seem to attract attention and as such, it's very difficult to find any public info on them. Makes a guy wonder if the locals and hardcore hunters of some of these out-of-the-spotlight areas have really clamped down their jaws to protect what they have. If so, hat's off to them.

bosox2850

FNG
Thanks for the insight SD, I think you're right, I do have the odds thing backwards..think I should have said "better draw odds" vs. "worse odds". it seems to me when people talk about great units in Nevada, you either hear 231/241 or area 6, etc. there are many more units that don't seem to attract attention and as such, it's very difficult to find any public info on them. Makes a guy wonder if the locals and hardcore hunters of some of these out-of-the-spotlight areas have really clamped down their jaws to protect what they have. If so, hat's off to them.

There's so many other states with great deer and way easier to draw or OTC tags that Nevada just doesn't seem in the end worth the effort/money/wait.. Great deer yes but it's not the Strip or The Henry Mountains both of which you're likely to draw before getting a non res Nevada tag lol

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

IMO it's not that locals are keeping their mouths shut, it has to do with where the biggest deer get killed and if any high-profile hunters are hunting there. Locals aren't usually the problem with declining draw odds.

What you read is correct that at least most units in NV produce big bucks, it's just the better units produce the biggest and/or just more of them.

"Mother Internet" as SD (that's funny) says makes information so readily available that if one 200" buck gets killed in a unit, hundreds and maybe thousands of hunters know about it in a few days. That affects the masses application strategy and is why low draw odds prevail in many places that really aren't tons better than the higher odds units.

just my thoughts

NVCHUKAR

WKR
In my opinion the low vs high draw odds aren't really linked to a unit because of the size of deer killed. Its closely related to the quality of the hunt and concentration of hunters. Some units in Nevada are almost OTC for residents and produce big bucks every year. But you will be in a bee swarm of people that makes hunting more difficult and less enjoyable in my opinion. Some units produce bigger bucks every year and thats more of a genetics/feed situation. IE the early rifle hunts can have 1200 tags or more per unit and are fairly easy to draw and the same unit late hunt might only have 130 tags. These late hunts tend to produce bigger deer on average but those same deer were walking around for three hunts prior to the late rifle. I would prefer to have 5 or so deer tags in a ten year span than 1-2. The more opportunity I have the better chance I have at getting a big buck.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
The nice part about Nevada is you get five hunt choices, save the top three for your favorite most desired units and your last two for easier to draw hunts that you are willing to sacrafice your points on.

Bar

Banned
IMO it's not that locals are keeping their mouths shut, it has to do with where the biggest deer get killed and if any high-profile hunters are hunting there. Locals aren't usually the problem with declining draw odds.

What you read is correct that at least most units in NV produce big bucks, it's just the better units produce the biggest and/or just more of them.

"Mother Internet" as SD (that's funny) says makes information so readily available that if one 200" buck gets killed in a unit, hundreds and maybe thousands of hunters know about it in a few days. That affects the masses application strategy and is why low draw odds prevail in many places that really aren't tons better than the higher odds units.

just my thoughts

My thoughts too about deer and especially about elk. Forums are really changing hunting. There was a time when the hunter did all the work.