lung damage working out at altitude?

kyleds8

FNG
Hey guys,

flatland born and raised, living at 6000’ for the last five years. Whenever I push it on the cardio side- hard row or run- it hurts my lungs in an unusual- not normal exertion way. Feels like they are getting cut up a little, and for the rest of the day I have a slight cough and tickly feeling in my chest. Has anyone experienced this? any solutions?

when I breathe only through my nose it doesn’t happen, but can’t manage that at full exertion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I have never heard of altitude damaging lungs, at least elevations in the mountain west.
You may want to go to a pulmonologist and/or a cardiologist and get checked out.
How old are you? It's better to be safe than sorry.

zacattack

WKR
Happens to me with cold dry air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree. His last statement about it only happening when he breathes through his mouth is key here. When you breathe through your nose, the outside air is warmed and moistened. This does not happen when your breathe through the mouth. Cold dry air can cause bronchi in your lungs to constrict, producing something like an asthma attack.

Our respiratory system is designed for us to breathe through our noses. It’s much more efficient and effective than mouth breathing, but for some reason we are a nation of mouth breathers. You shouldn’t really workout or exert yourself to the point of having to breathe through your mouth.

PMcGee

WKR
Agree. His last statement about it only happening when he breathes through his mouth is key here. When you breathe through your nose, the outside air is warmed and moistened. This does not happen when your breathe through the mouth. Cold dry air can cause bronchi in your lungs to constrict, producing something like an asthma attack.

Our respiratory system is designed for us to breathe through our noses. It’s much more efficient and effective than mouth breathing, but for some reason we are a nation of mouth breathers. You shouldn’t really workout or exert yourself to the point of having to breathe through your mouth.

Yep I try breathing through my nose I just can’t do it. Lol. I’ve just learned to deal with it.

PMcGee

WKR
How old are you? Smoker? I’d recommend seeing a physician for an opinion honestly.

42 I smoked for years finally quit 6years ago. I had trouble breathing though my nose when I was younger running track and cross country.

Vaultman

WKR
@kyleds8
May I suggest you listen to a podcast? Joe Rogan Experience Podcast #1506 with James Nestor.
It is about breathing (mouth vs. nose) and is EXCELENT! It teaches you how to nose breath and how to train your mind to where you can exercise while not breathing through your mouth. I tried it and it was rough at first, but became easier as time went on.

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG

really? that is interesting. I run outside breathing through my nose, and most of the time in the gym as well, but can't manage it at 100% exertion. Are you saying better not to go 100%?

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
@kyleds8
May I suggest you listen to a podcast? Joe Rogan Experience Podcast #1506 with James Nestor.
It is about breathing (mouth vs. nose) and is EXCELENT! It teaches you how to nose breath and how to train your mind to where you can exercise while not breathing through your mouth. I tried it and it was rough at first, but became easier as time went on.
thank you, I will check it out! Can you workout full exertion breathing through your nose?

Vaultman

WKR
thank you, I will check it out! Can you workout full exertion breathing through your nose?
I am not 100% sure. I was carrying a 50lb load up a pretty steep incline, the first time I tried the nose breathing exercise, and it WAS rough! But I got better at it. A LOT better. To the point where I could carry that same weight up that same hill while exclusively nose breathing.

I am not in great shape, by any means, but I can get my heart rate up while nose breathing. It just takes practice. I am confident that I could get myself near 100% exertion, but I would have to work up to it. Maybe that is another goal for me to work towards!

That is a great podcast. I will not give any spoilers, but it is amazing what that guy can do.

Yep I try breathing through my nose I just can’t do it. Lol. I’ve just learned to deal with it.

Instead of dealing with it, learn to breathe through your nose! Seriously, if you can't learn to do that, you might have a problem with constricted sinuses or something like that. There are many, many health benefits to breathing through your nose, and many problems with breathing through your mouth, and they are not limited to when you are working out.

Not a big awareness of this, but mouth breathing is a health problem.

Seeknelk

WKR
In the winter when I go ruck some hills I feel great. But when I play hockey at night and it's pretty cold I get a cough and probably what's called exercise induced asthma.
FYI... majority ( 70+80 percent) of training should be base building FOR MOST PEOPLE) maybe not you, don't know your training level or purpose. Base building in very basic terms is low intensity aerobic exercise. Walking, easy runs, etc...depending on your aerobic ability of course. Such that one can maintain a halting conversion if you wanted or breathe only thru the nose.
For fat ol me for instance, I can hardly do any trail running right now and maintain the low enough exertion level for this training when I get to much at all for uphills, so I walk a lot of the ups.
A couple times a week I either run the hills hard or I play 2 hours of hockey (cuz I love it). Anyway, it would be a good idea to see a doctor about it regardless.
P.S. A few of the guys I skate with also cough a bit and wheeze an hour or so after a hard cold game.

Vandy321

WKR
Nose breathing warms the air before it hits your lungs. You could be damaging the mucosal liner in the lungs with the heavy mouth breathing in extreme cold and that causing very small cuts that can irritate/burn.

The other is the pressure from high exertion can potentially cause the small air pockets around cells to burst creating a similar sensation

Some also report a kind of blood/metallic taste with this stuff.

Poser

WKR
Sounds like what Crossfitters call “Fran Cough” , scientific name is “exercise induced pulmonary endema” but can also be exercise induced asthma which might be more likely your case.

Do you experience a copper taste in your mouth?

PMcGee

WKR
Instead of dealing with it, learn to breathe through your nose! Seriously, if you can't learn to do that, you might have a problem with constricted sinuses or something like that. There are many, many health benefits to breathing through your nose, and many problems with breathing through your mouth, and they are not limited to when you are working out.

Not a big awareness of this, but mouth breathing is a health problem.

I definitely know I should be breathing though my nose maybe it’s just habit. Most of my runs I can hold a conversation fine so I don’t think I’m over doing it. I do breath through my nose normally. It’s something I’m definitely going to think about next time I run.