Luxe Gear Hexpeak XL Real Weight

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for feedback from other Luxe Gear owners.
I purchased a Hexpeak XL with snowskirt and Stove jack two weeks ago and set it up once to see how it looked. It seems to be a nice set up and I’m happy with the purchase for the price. The one thing I’m not please with is the weight. On their website it says the winter outer tent (which would mean snow skirts but not positive about stove jack) is 2.12 lbs or 34 oz. when I weighed my tent on my kitchen scale (without center pole, stakes, etc, just the tent & pack sleeve) it came in at 53 oz... now I purchased this as a light weight affordable tipi but the additional 1.5 lbs is pretty disappointing to me. Was wondering what other owners are seeing for weights or if they sewed rocks into my snow skirts.
I emailed Luxe Gear and their response is that they do not currently have any Hexpeak XL’s in house to weigh.
Looking for some feedback on if I send this back and get myself a Cimmaron or something truly light weight.
Thanks!

rj2

WKR
Wow I had been eyeing those for awhile, probably not any more. The guy running luxe hasn't been the most helpful when I've emailed a few times with questions.

Last time I asked him the exact weight of hexpeak + stovejack. He literally replied with "It'll be the weight of the hexpeak plus a few ounces". I asked how much is that, and got no reply.

Last edited:

renagde

WKR
The 34oz is just the tent, no seam sealer, no guy lines and no stuff sack. But I doubt that all adds up to 20oz. I know my Hexpeak is suppose to weigh 23oz but with seam sealer and guy lines it's about 25.5.

OP
wannabemtnman

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
The 34oz is just the tent, no seam sealer, no guy lines and no stuff sack. But I doubt that all adds up to 20oz. I know my Hexpeak is suppose to weigh 23oz but with seam sealer and guy lines it's about 25.5.
Good to know - I haven't seam sealed this one yet either so it'll go up even higher. If i remember correctly I think with 10 Ti stakes and their aluminum center pole it came in around 73 oz.

mlgc20

WKR
I purchased a Hexpeak XL with snowskirt and Stove jack two weeks ago and set it up once to see how it looked. It seems to be a nice set up and I’m happy with the purchase for the price. The one thing I’m not please with is the weight. On their website it says the winter outer tent (which would mean snow skirts but not positive about stove jack) is 2.12 lbs or 34 oz. when I weighed my tent on my kitchen scale (without center pole, stakes, etc, just the tent & pack sleeve) it came in at 53 oz... now I purchased this as a light weight affordable tipi but the additional 1.5 lbs is pretty disappointing to me. Was wondering what other owners are seeing for weights or if they sewed rocks into my snow skirts.
I emailed Luxe Gear and their response is that they do not currently have any Hexpeak XL’s in house to weigh.
Looking for some feedback on if I send this back and get myself a Cimmaron or something truly light weight.
Thanks!

Sorry to hear that. 1.5 pounds difference is not acceptable. I get that there is variation in any manufacturing process. But, this sounds more like false advertising.

renagde

WKR
Good to know - I haven't seam sealed this one yet either so it'll go up even higher. If i remember correctly I think with 10 Ti stakes and their aluminum center pole it came in around 73 oz.
I know they use a different (heavier) material for the Minipeak XL. In fact I would try to make sure that you didn't receive a Minipeak instead of a Hexpeak.

OP
wannabemtnman

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
I know they use a different (heavier) material for the Minipeak XL. In fact I would try to make sure that you didn't receive a Minipeak instead of a Hexpeak.
I've wondered that as well... I'll have to set it up and take some measurements to see what they match this weekend. I don't think there's any other way to confirm.

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with the return. Here's Luxe's return policy:

"To be eligible for a return, your item must be unopened (never set up/used indoors or outdoors) and in the same condition that you received it (no dust, hair, grass or dirt). It must also be in the original packaging. We will refuse a refund that breaks these terms and the items will be shipped back at your expense."

OP
wannabemtnman

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with the return. Here's Luxe's return policy:

"To be eligible for a return, your item must be unopened (never set up/used indoors or outdoors) and in the same condition that you received it (no dust, hair, grass or dirt). It must also be in the original packaging. We will refuse a refund that breaks these terms and the items will be shipped back at your expense."
Sounds like it may just get a new home to a fellow Rokslider

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!
I weighed my winter Hexpeak XL and it came out to 3lbs 0.8 oz on the scale. I'm disappointed at the inaccurate advertising on the website as well. I assume when they advertise the weight of the canopy, they mean the whole thing. But based on the measured weights, my guess is they mean the canopy fabric totals 2.12 lbs; and are not including the webbing, guy lines, loops, or metal tensioning clips. I'm considering cutting off the snow skirt on mine to lighten the weight of the package, but I would figure it'll only save me 0.3-0.4 lbs. The whole point of going floorless was to cut weight, now my total setup weight with stakes, trekking poles, sack, straps, and ground sheet will more than exceed 4 lbs. Pretty BS if you ask me. Should have gone with a more honest company .....