Machorter or Rbros

DIY

WKR
Both are great. Making a final decision soon. Any reviews to help me decide?

SDHNTR

WKR
I entertained both. Both are good. Bottom line for me was that McWhorter would do specific load development for me using copper bullets, source and install the scope, cut and verify custom turrets. One stop shop. The fit and finish is the best of my 7 custom rifles.

Rbros, at least when I talked to him, would only build to and guarantee accuracy with his proven usual load, which wasn’t copper unfortunately.

OP
D

DIY

WKR
I hear a lot of good reviews on mchorter really leaning that way

Totoro

WKR
Travis @ RBros for me.

I've owned a few McWhorters and they shoot quite well.

Just like what RBros builds for me more.

idig4au

WKR
I’ve got a couple McWhoters. Built to exactly my spec and fit/finish is outstanding. And they shoot unbelievable well.....both in the 0.3 MOA range. Built around bullet of my choice. Highly recommend.

Both my Rbros are awesome.
Travis is so friendly and his customer service attitude is un real awesome. He's Johnny on the spot and answers my dummy questions way quicker then I think anyone should expect.
@mt100gr. I know you love 💘 your Rbros as well.

Scottyboy

WKR
For me..when I decide to pull the trigger, will be rbros. Travis has answered all my calls and responded to all my emails while I’m “kicking the tires”. His customer service will win my business no questions about it. I’ve waisted way more time of his than I should, but he was patient and answered everything I had. I don’t reload so taking his load to a place like unknown munitions or similar is a non factor.

ive never owned a mcwhorter but know people I trust 100000% their opinion and mcwhorter is #1 hands down.

either way, you will get a rifle that will shoot better than you will ever be able 😀👍

I don't ha e a rifle from either but emailed Travis back and forth his customer service and outstanding reputation made.my mind up when I'm ready for a build.he will have my business

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I couldn't comment on a Machorter.. their reputation seems solid, But I have ordered 2 rifles from Travis and won't hesitate to order another when it's time.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I really wanted R Bros to build my 7 SAUM, but when talking to Travis about my parts on hand, he declined to do my build. He said he doesn't work with Ti or Bartlein carbon barrels. My action is a Lone Peak Fuzion Ti and my barrel was a carbon Bartlein. I'd reach out to him and discuss your build if you plan on sourcing the parts yourself.

I really wanted R Bros to build my 7 SAUM, but when talking to Travis about my parts on hand, he declined to do my build. He said he doesn't work with Ti or Bartlein carbon barrels. My action is a Lone Peak Fuzion Ti and my barrel was a carbon Bartlein. I'd reach out to him and discuss your build if you plan on sourcing the parts yourself.

Very interesting. Did he provide reasoning? Seems like he's pretty particular about what he will/wont build and I think that's cool.

Very interesting. Did he provide reasoning? Seems like he's pretty particular about what he will/wont build and I think that's cool.
I think he just has a system down of what he knows works. Introducing any variables could mean that it doesn't turn out..
He won't let it leave unless it shoots 1/2" off a bipod. So if he doesn't source any of the parts how would he warranty them.

And as expensive as his rifles are he uses high end components. I think his profit margin is built on knowing what the stuff should do and he can keep turning them over as opposed to working up a load for a custom bullet.

He won't even do barreled actions any more.
I guess the last one he did the guy that final assembled it used an action screw that was to long and it wouldn't group.
So he talked a bunch of trash on the forums.
Travis fixed the rifle. But won't let things leave now unless they are complete and proven.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
He didn't really go into much detail. He did say that the quality of the Bartlein carbon barrels weren't where he felt they should be, but he said they'll eventually get there. And he didn't say why, but that he doesn't work with Ti. If I was going to do a build with him, I would 100% call him to verify parts if I was going to source them myself. He does build hammers, so that's why I contacted him about my build. I'd not hesitate to do a build with him though, and I appreciate that he was upfront about not working with certain materials.

SDHNTR

WKR
That’s exactly the vibe I got from Travis. Which is totally fine and perfectly understandable. I needed something outside the realm of his usual builds and he turned me down. I appreciated his honesty. I would 100% rather have a smith do that than take the job and then not be able to deliver.