Magnetospeed on Muzzleloader?

Curious if anyone's used their Magnetospeed on a muzzleloader. I have a new CVA 45 Accura that I plan on tinkering with BH209 loads and wouldn't mind checking speeds. Wasn't sure if it's a mess on a smoke pole. Thanks -

I’ve done it. I emailed them first to get the green light but it works. They said you probably should give it a wipe down after.

OP
menhaden_man
Thanks - looks like I'll be heading down another rabbit hole at the range! Will be hunting a state that allows scopes, sabots, and all the fun stuff this fall. I'll be leaving the PNW model in the safe for a change.

Dean253

FNG
I also have used my Magnetospeed V3 with great success on my smokeless muzzleloader with Arrowhead XLD bullets. I did ruin a Bayonet on my old muzzleloader that used sabots, I didn't leave enough clearance Clareance! Lol

I've used it on a smokeless and a CVA LR 45. Worked fine on both. I'll be using it again this week to check a new can of BH209 to make sure velocity is close to the same as the last can.

OP
menhaden_man
I've used it on a smokeless and a CVA LR 45. Worked fine on both. I'll be using it again this week to check a new can of BH209 to make sure velocity is close to the same as the last can.

I just bought one of those (Accura .45; used a Wolf PNW before)... any suggestions on bullets? I've got some BH209 and the plug to go with it... only have standard 209 primers but hear those will be OK.

My cousin was using a Barnes with sabot in his and holding about 1.5" group at 90 yards. I believe the 195. That was open sights.

The one I shot I used the 250 grain Aerolite Powerbelt. With a scope it was touching bullets at 175 yards. It wasn't my gun but after shooting it for a buddy I bought one after seeing how my cousins and his shot. I weighed out the charges of BH209 and was shooting 84 grains by weight with a CCI primer.

I have read bad things about Powerbelts but they worked great for me on a deer @14 yards. It was quartered towards me. I want to say the load was around 2300 fps. The bullet entered through the front shoulder and was pretty far back under the offside hide. I would estimate around 3' of travel.

Unless you want to size bullets I feel like the Powerbelts are an easy button. Unless you want to shoot sabots. And I haven't gotten into them really since the main state I hunt muzzy doesn't allow them.

OP
menhaden_man
My cousin was using a Barnes with sabot in his and holding about 1.5" group at 90 yards. I believe the 195. That was open sights.

The one I shot I used the 250 grain Aerolite Powerbelt. With a scope it was touching bullets at 175 yards. It wasn't my gun but after shooting it for a buddy I bought one after seeing how my cousins and his shot. I weighed out the charges of BH209 and was shooting 84 grains by weight with a CCI primer.

I have read bad things about Powerbelts but they worked great for me on a deer @14 yards. It was quartered towards me. I want to say the load was around 2300 fps. The bullet entered through the front shoulder and was pretty far back under the offside hide. I would estimate around 3' of travel.

Unless you want to size bullets I feel like the Powerbelts are an easy button. Unless you want to shoot sabots. And I haven't gotten into them really since the main state I hunt muzzy doesn't allow them.
Yeah I’m hunting a state that has limited restrictions compared to where I’ve hunted before (WA/ID)... so going to step it up. Thought about sizing bullets but going to try those new LR powerbelts and some sabots to see how they do.

Thanks for the info

mm509

FNG
I've successfully used my V3 on my muzzleloader.....but I failed to check the clearance. It blew that bayonet into hundreds of pieces!! Now I check the clearance and its good to go. I was truly shocked at the velocity of the muzzleloader with 310 grain bullets, but even more shocked with the ES of the charges!! Definitely a long range contender with a magnified optic!!

I was successful in harvesting deer at ranges I never would've considered in the past with a muzzleloader. Only difference between my (specific state) muzzleloader and current centerfire rifles is the follow up shot speed.

DS2500

FNG
What kind of velocity and extreme spreads were you getting on the power belt?

I want to say 2200-2300 fps range in the CVA. It wasn't my rifle so I didn't write it down. I remember the ES wasn't bad at all. And with it shooting so tight I wasn't worried about it.