Making Camp

Wapiti16

FNG
Just out of pure curiosity and to see how much we are all alike or different, walk us through your process of making camp for the night.

You find a good spot, what do you do first?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I typically get my shelter setup- what ever that happens to be, bivy, tarp, tent- in case the weather changes quickly (which in the mountains is relatively often) and my pad/bag/pillow in it

I'll get supper going (usually just water boiling and adding it to a pouch :)), boots/socks off and let my feet air out- probably add a layer or two of clothing as I usually cool pretty quickly after stopping. Filter water if needed. Get firewood laid in if I'm in a hot tent.

When supper is done, get the food bag hung- rearranging the food so breakfast on top, lunch behind it and everything else under it. Sleep clothing on (including dry socks) and everything else off and slowly make way into la la land.

Pretty damn exciting, yes Sir! :)

Lawnboi

WKR
Hunt till dark, try to find a flat spot. Say screw it and find a semi flat spot. Setup tent, realize it’s not flat. Take 2 Advil pm and go to bed. Throw a meal in there if I’m not too tired.

Not how I want it to go but unfortunately it always seems to happen that way.