Making Sightron Blue Sky 8x32's tripod ready

I thought I'd post this up for anyone who owns a pair of the lovely little Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's - one of my all-time favorite pairs of binoculars (and the ones I've owned the longest among every pair I own).

I love these little binoculars. There is a good reason they have a cult-like following among the birding community. Best center sharpness and contrast you can buy in a x32 for under $600 (maybe more). And they routinely sell for less than $180. I would put the center sharpness and contrast on par with my Meopta Meostars, no kidding. And they are also one of the best-handling mid-sized binoculars ever made. 17 oz. and the open bridge design makes them fit in your hands perfectly. The eyecups extend to the correct length and the focus wheel is smooth without slack. BUT...

The one frustration I've had with these for years is that there was really no practical way to mount them on a tripod. They did not have the common 1/4x20 thread. So today I set out to do something about that.

The first thing I did was remove the small plastic cap on the inside of the front hinge (not the one that says Sightron, but the other one). That reveals a metric allen head set screw inside the bushing that holds that hinge together.

Now, I'll stop here a second for those who use Outdoorsman tripod adapters and studs. I am not sure about this, but I suspect the Leica stud or maybe another Outdoorsman stud may fit directly into the bushing at this point, and you will have the stud facing into the opening between the double hinges, like you see the Swarovski EL's with the Outdoorsman stud installed. I don't use the Outdoorsman system, but if I did, I would have called them to see what the thread is on their Leica stud. If it's the same, then you might be done right there and can install the metric Outdoorsman stud on the inside of the hinge.

But I wanted to use the same 1/4x20 tripod adapter that I use with my other binoculars, so here's what I did...

Loosen the allen head set screw a few turns (again, it's metric), and then with a pair of pliers, unscrew the cap on the front of the binoculars that says Sightron on it. It's aluminum so if you use a standard pair of pliers like I did, you will scratch it. Maybe you can figure out how to remove it without scratching it. I couldn't but I wasn't worried about that.

Now, press out that bushing from the front hinge, pressing in the direction of the focus wheel. I just pressed it out with an allen wrench. It's greased, so it will slide out.

Now, take that bushing and cut 1/4x20 threads in it with a standard tap. I kind of mangled the head of that bushing in my vise but you can probably find a better way to hold it while tapping it so yours doesn't come out looking like mine does. Clean that bushing up real good (you don't want metal shavings in that hinge) and re-install it BACKWARDS with the cap head of the bushing facing foward (away from the focus wheel). Then take a washer and 1/4x20 cap screw and install those in the back side of that bushing. The cap screw needs to be about 1/4" long to leave room for the tripod adapter screw on the other end of the bushing. Tighten that cap screw to adjust the hinge tension where you want it.

And you're done. Enjoy using your mighty little Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's on a tripod. If you thought they were good hand-held, just wait until you get them on the tripod. ;) They are like a poor man's Swaro EL 8x32, I promise. In fact they are so good on the tripod that these will now be my backcountry hunting bins, which is what I was hoping for all along.

Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
You're the champion of budget binos - this and your Bushnell Legend M's.

I'll be honest, I haven't the opportunity to look through Swaros, Leicas, or even Meostars. I've only played in the mid-low range.

I get all eyes are different, but your eyes really seem to favor these and those Bushnell's - at almost alpha level to your eyes, according to your comments.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I frequent birding forums because I’m also an avid bird watcher and because they really know their optics. I was turned on to both the sightrons and legend m’s by veteran birders who swore by them, and I’m sure glad I was! If you can get premium quality optics for a fraction of the price of their peers, why wouldn’t you?

I also have some Zeiss conquests, meopta meostars and I’ve owned 3 pairs of swaros. I have no brand or price loyalties. These are just tools to me.

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
How is the quality control on these units?

I'm pretty fond of value buys; not necessarily cheap, but especially when an item is undervalued for what it offers. This is more of a carry over from my finance life.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
They are made in the Philippines , not China, and I have never heard a bad thing about them. You can read about them for hours here if you want. 😉