Making Your Own Hunting Gear, By Jake Lamphier

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have you thought about making some of your own gear but are not sure where to start? Jake Lampier just finished up a great article that breaks down some of the tools needed along with some great tips to help you get started. Check it out below.

Making Your Own Hunting Gear

Good article Jake. Kifaru better watch out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a5cefe3424ad550861c3236ac0627f11.jpg

I jumped in with both feet!

Currently developing a product I hope will sustain a small business, but I’m also having fun on smaller fun projects.

fc5daf52203a4e46853ce9661d87bc96.jpg

We are doing a Secret Santa for Christmas and I drew my brother in law, Im going to make him a ‘tactical koozy’ that he can stick patches on.

lamp_ak

FNG
a5cefe3424ad550861c3236ac0627f11.jpg

I jumped in with both feet!

Currently developing a product I hope will sustain a small business, but I’m also having fun on smaller fun projects.

fc5daf52203a4e46853ce9661d87bc96.jpg

We are doing a Secret Santa for Christmas and I drew my brother in law, Im going to make him a ‘tactical koozy’ that he can stick patches on.
Looks great man!

Mt Al

WKR
Great article, thank you, and really appreciate the note about cutting straight lines and getting good scissors. I've been using old scissors as sharp as a wet noodle, stupid and will be ordering new ones. I bought the Singer 4452, very similar to the machine you listed. My first bigger project, a bag/duffel to hold my rolled up 2 person DIY packraft, PFD, 4 piece paddle, Big Agnes floor, air-pillow seat, inflation bag and battery inflator - looks like crap! But it's a start. I've been in the outdoor industry and military gear since forever, have used industrial machines - but never made my own stuff. Thank you for the encouragement!

lamp_ak

FNG
Great article, thank you, and really appreciate the note about cutting straight lines and getting good scissors. I've been using old scissors as sharp as a wet noodle, stupid and will be ordering new ones. I bought the Singer 4452, very similar to the machine you listed. My first bigger project, a bag/duffel to hold my rolled up 2 person DIY packraft, PFD, 4 piece paddle, Big Agnes floor, air-pillow seat, inflation bag and battery inflator - looks like crap! But it's a start. I've been in the outdoor industry and military gear since forever, have used industrial machines - but never made my own stuff. Thank you for the encouragement!
Sounds like a good project! Never thought I be sitting behind a sewing machine, but it’s turned into a fun hobby

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good on you for being able to work with silnylon. After a tent and annex, a bivy sack, and a few stuff sacks, I learned I don't have the patience for that stuff.

Rockywoods is another source for fabric and hardware. Great service and selection.

Tank9

FNG
Great article. The wife and I are going to learn how to sew this winter and this just got me even more pumped than I already was!

Mt Al

WKR
I'm still deep in learning mode, but here's what I did to make sewing larger pieces easier. The sewing machine bed, being higher than whatever the sewing machine is sitting on, is kind of a PIA for me at least.

I bought a 4'x8'x3/4" sheet of "Melamine White Panel" and cut it down to 4'x5', then screwed 2x4s around the edges for stability and put the whole heavy assembly on three saw horses. I then cut out, if you will, the shape of the bottom of the sewing machine, plus 1" to the right. Then measured from the bottom of the machine to the bed height, and made a sunk-in platform the same depth as the height. The sunk-in platform is open to the right so the pedal and power plug remains under the table.

The sewing machine now sits in this cut-out and the machine's bed is flush with the table. The smooth white surface makes it easy to move materials around, easy to clean, etc.

FYI and YMMV

lamp_ak

FNG
I'm still deep in learning mode, but here's what I did to make sewing larger pieces easier. The sewing machine bed, being higher than whatever the sewing machine is sitting on, is kind of a PIA for me at least.

I bought a 4'x8'x3/4" sheet of "Melamine White Panel" and cut it down to 4'x5', then screwed 2x4s around the edges for stability and put the whole heavy assembly on three saw horses. I then cut out, if you will, the shape of the bottom of the sewing machine, plus 1" to the right. Then measured from the bottom of the machine to the bed height, and made a sunk-in platform the same depth as the height. The sunk-in platform is open to the right so the pedal and power plug remains under the table.

The sewing machine now sits in this cut-out and the machine's bed is flush with the table. The smooth white surface makes it easy to move materials around, easy to clean, etc.

FYI and YMMV
That’s sounds like an upgrade I need to make. Thanks for sharing it!