Mandatory Harvest Reporting--what states don't have it?

LostArra

WKR
Okla mandatory deer
Simple check in on phone app or computer. No game processor will accept a deer without a confirmation number. Some processors have a computer at their shop to check it in.

Btaylor

WKR
Okla mandatory deer
Simple check in on phone app or computer. No game processor will accept a deer without a confirmation number. Some processors have a computer at their shop to check it in.
Same in AR for deer and turkey, phone, app or computer game check and processors require confirmation number.

I’m the OP. Please, hijack away. Let’s hear it.

Realistically, does anyone know what it costs to implement a digital harvest reporting system? It doesn’t have to re-designed. It seems they could just hire the same vendor that idaho uses to make one for the state of montana…… and once it is setup the primary cost is gone. Simply maintenance
/ service fee at that point
@Hunthigh1 - One of the other guys hit on it. Montana has several decades worth of shitty statistics. They would rather keep using their algorithm that they have used forever with shit inputs than start over from scratch. They are not alone in this thinking. Similarly, The National Weather Service has many RAWS stations that are in poor representative locations, however, they have 60yrs of data. So they’d rather keep the historical data instead of starting over. Statistics, or extrapolation, vs data.

Here are some facts on MT (Go Hunt dot com fans better keep scrolling). MT has statistics. They have virtually no data, or incomplete pieces of unrelated data. They do not know +/- 10,000, how many elk are killed annually. Probably double that for deer. That said, they have absolutely no clue on hunter days, harvest success rates, age class harvested, etc. We are currently spending money 3 different ways to get shitty inputs for their algorithm. 1) weekend only check stations. 2) Randomly selected contractor telemarketing surveys. 3) The new e-tag. A lot of folks aren’t excited about the e-tag pinging the lat/long.

There is becoming a larger and larger group of MT license holders that are begging for mandatory reporting.

11boo

WKR
Anybody in Colorado remember the Big game hunter checkpoint we used to have on I 70 near Idaho springs? No more of that here, just a survey emailed.

LostArra

WKR
We've been stopped at mandatory hunter check point in Wyoming but only during rifle season.

Oklahoma used to have check stations at specific convenience stores. What a fiasco that could be! 16 year old store worker filling out a deer log book while six customers are lined up buying Mountain Dew and pork rinds. Scales never worked so everyone just guessed. Once I told the clerk my yearling doe weighed 200 lbs just to see if I would get a call.

Oklahoma's wildlife department phone app is really nice and their customer service is very good. I took my nephew hunting and he shot a deer early but his deer tag that he bought earlier in the week at Cabela's was not showing on the app. I called the customer service number at 7:30am on a Sunday and an American immediately answered and fixed the problem (Cabela's had input the tag info incorrectly). I was shocked.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Wisconsin is mandatory for deer as well as turkeys and used to be in person which I kind of miss getting to see everyone’s deer and talking to people while you wait in line. But it would take forever especially on good opening days. Now it’s online or by phone and takes 2 minutes. It’s a very easy process but I know it got fought for several years as people said it made it easier to poach then. But poachers weren’t bringing their deer in to begin with even with in person check in.

hunterjmj

WKR
I hunted in NW Nebraska back in 07' and had to check it in at a check point. I think they took a tooth if I remember correctly and I marked on a map where I killed it.

KS does not require reporting although they do support electronic tags and to validate your e-tag is essentially reporting.

Seems like it would be hard to do a math problem without numbers ? Minnesota - yes deer/turkey/bear

So can we get a running list going?

AZ - Required
NV - Required
NM - Required
ID - Required
MN - Required
WI - Required
NE - Required
UT - Required in limited applications, not required on some general seasons
WY - Not Required
CO - Not Required
ND - Not Required
SD - Not Required
KS - Not Required
TX - Not Required

Baffles my mind that states don't require it.

MT FWP of late sure makes it seem like they don't want data available to factor into their wildlife management decisions. The new director made his priorities obvious with one of his first statements vowing to enact "the governors vision for the FWP" upon receiving his promotion.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

AZ - Required
NV - Required
UT - Required
NM - Required
ID - Required
MN - Required
WI - Required
NE - Required
WY - Not Required
CO - Not Required
ND - Not Required
SD - Not Required
KS - Not Required
TX - Not Required

MT FWP of late sure makes it seem like they don't want data available to factor into their wildlife management decisions. The new director made his priorities obvious with one of his first statements vowing to enact "the governors vision for the FWP" upon receiving his promotion.
Ut has limited requirements for reporting harvest, general season are a random sampling but not required.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR

AZ - Required
NV - Required
NM - Required
ID - Required
MN - Required
WI - Required
NE - Required
UT - Required in limited applications, not required on some general seasons
WY - Not Required
CO - Not Required
ND - Not Required
SD - Not Required
KS - Not Required
TX - Not Required

Oregon required. $25 fine the following year if not done by the deadline.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk