March FX 4.5-28x FFP Field Eval Q&A

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Q&A for-

WKR

WKR
Thoughts on the FX versus the NX8 4-32X50??

Also is the Bat Hammerhead the new action UM and Bat machine are developing?

So I guess what is your ultimate decision on this scope then? Did it receive a passing grade?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So I guess what is your ultimate decision on this scope then? Did it receive a passing grade?

We’re far away from it passing- It has 2,920’ish rounds to go.

It behaved erratically at first, after the drop eval everything started functioning normal. Held zero on a second drop portion, and held zero through a wreck.

We’re far away from it passing- It has 2,920’ish rounds to go.

It behaved erratically at first, after the drop eval everything started functioning normal. Held zero on a second drop portion, and held zero through a wreck.
Curious to see how it ends! This one has been on my radar for awhile. Hard to leave the old nxs though.

SDHNTR

WKR
Wreck? Hope everyone’s ok!

I have a March Compact 2.5-25x52 and a NX8 4-32. Prefer the NX8 personally, just more user friendly. May sell the March.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully everyone is no worse for wear after the "enhanced drop test protocol." Anything remarkable about the rings other than that they are slightly chonky/heavy?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hopefully everyone is no worse for wear after the "enhanced drop test protocol." Anything remarkable about the rings other than that they are slightly chonky/heavy?

It’s been a while since I have really used ARC rings. They seem to work fine, however my guess is they are the reason for the erratic behavior of the scope in the beginning. It’s a much better design than vertical split rings, but they still pinch in a way.

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s been a while since I have really used ARC rings. They seem to work fine, however my guess is they are the reason for the erratic behavior of the scope in the beginning. It’s a much better design than vertical split rings, but they still pinch in a way.
They do. I’ve had a few pairs where the lower half will snap/pinch onto a tube and hold, defying gravity, with the top clamp wide open. Like a Talley LW. Some do and some don’t. I can’t figure out if the variance is in the ring or the scope tube OD.

What I do like about them is there no easier ring to keep a reticle level.

There was a verbose response from the mad scientist ARC owner on one site I read somewhere that I viewed as rather flippant. Instead of indicating he would address the pinch issue, he pretty much just said in his overly engineered way, tuff chit. I found it quite off-putting.

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
There was a verbose response from the mad scientist ARC owner on one site I read somewhere that I viewed as rather flippant. Instead of indicating he would address the pinch issue, he pretty much just said in his overly engineered way, tuff chit. I found it quite off-putting.

It helps to realize that lots of them are on the spectrum and they tend to miss some social cues.

The rings are good, however like a lot of things they are a way over engineered scope holding device. When simple works, simple will work better.

SDHNTR

WKR
It helps to realize that lots of them are on the spectrum and they tend to miss some social cues.

The rings are good, however like a lot of things they are a way over engineered scope holding device. When simple works, simple will work better.
My thoughts EXACTLY with a lot of their stuff. I’ve come so close to pulling the trigger on a CDG several times, but just can’t commit due to them being over engineered and unnecessarily complicated.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My thoughts EXACTLY with a lot of their stuff. I’ve come so close to pulling the trigger on a CDG several times, but just can’t commit due to them being over engineered and unnecessarily complicated.

From what I’ve seen they make some of the best R700 pattern actions on the market. I haven’t used the CDG enough to say, but if I were in the market for that type, they would certainly be at the top of the list.

WKR

WKR
From what I’ve seen they make some of the best R700 pattern actions on the market. I haven’t used the CDG enough to say, but if I were in the market for that type, they would certainly be at the top of the list.
How do you like that Hammerhead? The 75 degree bolt throw sounds awesome. The 90 degree standard on r700 clones has been my biggest gripe. If UM implements the 75 degree throw across all their actions im going to be very tempted to buy some and re-action a few of my rifles...

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How do you like that Hammerhead? The 75 degree bolt throw sounds awesome. The 90 degree standard on r700 clones has been my biggest gripe. If UM implements the 75 degree throw across all their actions im going to be very tempted to buy some and re-action a few of my rifles...

First you have to understand that anything that uses an R700 trigger is a no go for me for field use. Having said that, if that isn’t a problem for you- the Hammerhead has been excellent. Very, very minimal bolt bind, feeds well, bolt lift is easy, extraction is good- no issues. It functions as it should which is something few “custom” actions do.

BjornF16

WKR

WKR

WKR
Yeah I've seen that
I will wait until they implement it into a lighter weight action like the vesper.

WKR

WKR
First you have to understand that anything that uses an R700 trigger is a no go for me for field use. Having said that, if that isn’t a problem for you- the Hammerhead has been excellent. Very, very minimal bolt bind, feeds well, bolt lift is easy, extraction is good- no issues. It functions as it should which is something few “custom” actions do.
Whats wrong with the 700 pattern trigger? Reliability concerns i assume.

Any detectable cock on close with the HH action?