Market commentary you deem relevant

Beendare

WKR
The stock trader thread is getting long in the tooth. It is options and penny stock heavy- not relevant to the avg investor.

How about we post up any market advice/ commentary you deem expert.

Heres Jeff Gunlach on Fox business with his take on 2024. He discusses bond and equity markets, the fed, inflation and impending recession. For those that don’t know him, he is one of the sharpest tools in the shed.

FOX Business

I’ve read articles ect about investing for a LOOONG time.

I’ve been more interested in real estate investments, and some other things. It’s all worked out great.

2 years ago I finally set up a traditional retirement account. I Wanted some more diversification.

I finally set up a retirement account. I maxed out my contributions to that account the last two years, and will continue to do so. I just have the $ come out of my check each month.

In all the years I have looked at different stock market investments,long term an index fund or total stock market index fund seems hard to beat for me personally.

I honestly wish I would have started this long ago. The money isn’t taxed going into the account, and I get a 3 percent match from the business. If my thinking is correct I’m up around 33 percent before even factoring in the gains in the stock market versus just leaving the money on my check and doing something else with it.

In 2022 and 2023 I put $29500 in total

If I would have left it on my paycheck I would have brought home around $20,000 out of the $29500 over 2 years. That $29500 I put in the tax deferred account is worth almost $44000.00 today with the employer match, and market gains.

So instead of an extra $833 per month on my paycheck, I maxed out a simple IRA, put the money in total stock market index fund and it’s $44k after 24 months!

I always knew it was a good idea, but never thought it was that good!

What a powerful tool to build wealth.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I think it is interesting reading everyone opine about particular stocks. I think for the vast majority of people who are actually investing for long-term growth, good mutual funds purchased in a diverse manner are far more advantageous for building wealth.

I view most stocks as gambles. There are several exceptions. Particularly, stpcks with long-term performance matched with a decent dividend.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I think it is interesting reading everyone opine about particular stocks. I think for the vast majority of people who are actually investing for long-term growth, good mutual funds purchased in a diverse manner are far more advantageous for building wealth.

I view most stocks as gambles. There are several exceptions. Particularly, stpcks with long-term performance matched with a decent dividend.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I agree

I’m far from knowledgeable on picking stocks.

I swear any particular company I look up with a decent dividend, has pretty flat growth in stock price long term. The total stock market index fund I look at always seems to outperform looking back long term. At least all the individual stocks I always check out

Also most hedge fund managers can’t beat the market long term, so I definitely don’t think I will!

Last edited:
I’ve read articles ect about investing for a LOOONG time.

I’ve been more interested in real estate investments, and some other things. It’s all worked out great.

2 years ago I finally set up a traditional retirement account. I Wanted some more diversification.

I finally set up a retirement account. I maxed out my contributions to that account the last two years, and will continue to do so. I just have the $ come out of my check each month.

In all the years I have looked at different stock market investments,long term an index fund or total stock market index fund seems hard to beat for me personally.

I honestly wish I would have started this long ago. The money isn’t taxed going into the account, and I get a 3 percent match from the business. If my thinking is correct I’m up around 33 percent before even factoring in the gains in the stock market versus just leaving the money on my check and doing something else with it.

In 2022 and 2023 I put $29500 in total

If I would have left it on my paycheck I would have brought home around $20,000 out of the $29500 over 2 years. That $29500 I put in the tax deferred account is worth almost $44000.00 today with the employer match, and market gains.

So instead of an extra $833 per month on my paycheck, I maxed out a simple IRA, put the money in total stock market index fund and it’s $44k after 24 months!

I always knew it was a good idea, but never thought it was that good!

What a powerful tool to build wealth.
I advise my guys to take advantage of 401k with company match. Tax break, plus match, plus market growth =no brainer.

You’d be surprised how quick they are to sign up once I really walk them through it and explain the process. It’s as close to free money as you’ll get nowadays lol

That’s awsome you to take the time to break it down and teach them.

My circle of family/friends weren’t into the 401k type investing.

Small business owners, real estate inverters, and lots of folks just scraping by pay check to paycheck. Pretty much no one that worked at a bigger company with a retirement plan.

Good on you for taking the time to help the new guys out.

I set up the plan at my work. Explained it all, out if 9 people me and one other guy took advantage!

Kilboars

WKR
Must read book for investing

57b5ee6d9c18c58e4ebf6c6f28d20519.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
View attachment 663712

Just bought it on Amazon after your suggestion
$1.99!

I love the part where he uses different financial analysts ideas for a few years in what they’ve recommended and where you would be 5-10 years down the line if you had taken their advice,

They never come back and tell you what they recommend last year and what it’s doing now.

It’s all a ruse and many of them are just on TV to manipulate the masses because they’re gonna do the opposite with their millions of shares.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’ve learned the hard way decades ago chasing story stocks.

A strategy change has worked well studying trends…..an example is buying Haliburton when Bush was elected and United Health with Obama.
I don’t look at the past on those trend stock purchases…but instead look forward.

ETFs or funds are totally different and make it much easier. There a guy can look at long term performance and Morningstar ratings to get into some good long term holdings and continue to DC avg into them long term. The reason is you are buying smart management that dumps losers and rides winners. You can evaluate their track record.

Heres a couple screen shots of Tech ETFs- tech being a sector than has outperformed as long as I have been investing. I happen to own both and am going to add to them when i see their charts back off a bit As I think they are extended.

5 yr return of 177% for both of these, not setting the world on fire but darn good tax managed wealth building. Note, there will always be periods where the market underperforms….but long term stats don’t lie. Look at the 10 and 15 yr stats- even better than this. .
good sector going forward-check, good return- check
958E4A99-1336-4DCB-A974-D4F65E01824B.png
0BBCDC98-F459-42CA-9FFE-7711C7B876EE.png

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I should have added, its hard to beat having some of the top financial analysts in the world (edit- which is the case with the folks running some of those funds and ETFs. Unlike some financial planner which is essentially a salesman- sorry FP’s but true) and only paying them a quarter of a percent for that service.

Last edited:

Kilboars

WKR
I should have added, its hard to beat having some of the top financial analysts in the world and only paying them a quarter of a percent for that service.

Yes, i’ve always invested on my own, but you should never pay a financial planner more than a point.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Nassim Taleb is a guy worth following- smartest guy in the room.
ZERO HEDGE link is a good article on gov funding. Its bit high level with Talebs comments linked from Bloomberg.

If you ever wondered how the gov can be awash in debt but the stock market keeps going up- this explains it. The Fed Reserve is in a pickle due to The massive gov deficit and continued overspending. It looks like they will have no choice but to stimulate the economy to give the Dems a chance in Nov.

Risk on!

I have several. I’ve read most of Tony Robbins stuff and it’s great for investing and life in general. His new book “Holy Grail of Investing” comes out in a couple of weeks and I look forwarded to digging in. Listening to a few interviews that he’s done on the book, it sounds like he has broke down the strategies of some VERY high performers with long track records in the book.

I do the retirement thing to each of our matches and also do some auto buys in stocks and ETFs outside of retirement, but I’m still a crypto guy. Been doing weekly buys into SOL over the last two years. Same with ETH for the last probably 5 years. SOL alone is up 5x of average purchase price. Bitcoin halving is in about 3 months, do your research. The market has gone pretty parabolic after each of the past halvings.

Just put your money in the S&P 500 type fund/etf and forget about it. Just like Warren Buffet says to do for 99% of the investors and he does with his wifes money and a large portion of his own 80 billion. There is nobody in the investment world smarter than him...period, end of story. I guess you could also buy B-H shares too. Less than 1% of all of the pro money managers can "consistently" beat the SP500, regardless if they are private or work for a fund company like Vanguard/Fidelity etc. Certainly the tech sector funds have been and will continue to do well in this technology boom time, but even still you don't put all the eggs in a single basket. Jeff Gundlach knows bonds, and I like him, but he is often wrong about the stock market....as for stock picking, pick the future winners, such as Nvidia, AMD, Salesforce etc that are leaders in areas that will just keep exploding. Look at Microsoft or Home Depot for instance....both with something to upset the current (at the time) industry and if you invested just $1000 at their IPO you would today 35-40 years later be a billionaire...with a B. One company to look at right now that is small is Super Micro Computer......it's grown a lot but has a lot more to grow and I think will be one of those you wish you would have invested in. There are plenty of others out there. Forget the options markets.....it's a losing game (over time and trades) for all but the top 2% of the players and trust me, you aren't likely to be in that top 2%. Only 1% are good enough to make a living doing it and only .5% do very well. Same for penny stocks.....a losers game.

Kilboars

WKR
Without googling it and all these funds out there and financial companies how many companies do you think there are listed in the NY Stock exchange?

A over 500,000
B 250,000
C 100,000
D 3,500