Marmot Limelight 3p 3 season tent Vs. MSR Hubba Hubba NX 3P

me72666

FNG
Marmot Limelight 3p 3 season tent Vs. MSR Mutha Hubba NX 3P

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help a poor backcountry/outdoors novice. I'm a big guy (6'2 330pds..yes, former FB player) and I want a roomy tent that'll be for mostly myself, sometimes me and one other. Unless someone can recommend another option providing what I'm looking (very open to others) for I've narrowed it down to the Marmot Limelight 3p 3 season tent & MSR Hubba Hubba NX 3P 3 season tents. I've researched much but am curious as the durability and quickest/easiest set up between the two.

A bit of the back story:

1. Will be mostly used in western states during warmer weather but want option to sustain cold/rainy/windy weather
2. Used for hiking/backpacking distance
3. Price not a major deal breaker

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

tttoadman

WKR
Marmot limelight is really bulky and heavy, but they are tough. MSR seems to be too proud of their tents for how heavy and bulky they are. The copper spur 3 would be a great choice for cutting weight, but will be a little more questionable in higher winds due to the center spine pole instead of cross poles like the limelight.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I really likes the MSR mutha hubba Tent I had, I used it lots for elk/deer/moose Canada.It handled days of rain, snow and sleet. It only weighted 6.5 lbs and was used mostly for 1 man hunting because I like my space. I'm 6'1, 230lb and had no problems with it. I used it lots camping with my 2 boys in the summer and just fits 3 sleeping pads, and used the vestibules for the gear. I sold it and went to the Papa hubba 4 person as my oldest son is going start hunting with me and can fit the whole family snugly for camping. I could set up the tent in 5-10 mins and packs away quickly, no complaints at all with it.

I too bought the marmot Limelight. It is easy to set up and is very durable. Have hunted several seasons in it and it has made it through tough wind and snow.

The down side is you have to use the vestibule for gear and it is relatively heavy. I usually split the tent up between two of us for weight distribution on the pack in but with one person this is not an option.

I opted for this tent for its durability. If you want weight savings you could go to a tarp system. unfortunately the more durable tents or 3 season tents are going to be heavier - you don't get a free ride.

hope this helps.