Marsupial Bino harness question

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
For those who use the Marsupial, do any of you run a hand held compass? And if so, will the magnets on the bino harness mess up the compass?

Compass is a very small use item for me.
Marsupial and binos are a huge must have for me so I deal with the inconvenience of removing the harness to check a compass.

JD619er

WKR
I just sold mine because it threw the compass in my phone off by more than 15 degrees and ruined my onx app and tracking features

JD619er

WKR
Not sure but when I pressed the icon to show what direction I'm facing on onx then pull the phone next to my bino harness it moves

prm

WKR
Yes. I measured it once, and I believe once you get with ~12” of the harness the compass becomes off.

Edit. I looked up my old post:
I did play with a compass while wearing the Marsupial. If facing west, the compass is roughly 20deg off if held 12” from the front of the harness. By 6” the needle is facing the magnet. In this case 90deg off.
If facing roughly North, it swings it 20-30deg off by about 9”, and the full 180deg off by 6”.

prm

WKR
A magnet does not impact GPS signals, only the magnetic field the compass uses.

Yes it will mess up a compass, this is not an irreversible issue though. If you get your compass far enough away it will continue to work accurately. Magnets will NOT mess up a GPS device, phone or portable.