Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt

ddiwd33

Banned
Planning to get a new hunting bow compound. These were the top of my list, when I tried them out:
Mathews Z7
Bowtech Destroyer 350
Bowtech Assassin
I also want to consider the Mathews Helium, but I haven’t yet been able to try out yet. I found the Z7 to be very smooth and accurate, and the Destroyer actually seemed to have a better response.
Do you guys have experience with any of these? What do you guys recommend?
Also – I wanted to ask, where can I find bows that are well priced?

While I have not shot any of the bows you listed, I am a very satisfied owner of a Mathews Halon, my second Mathews in 15 yrs. Soon after I bought the bow, I accidentally dry-fired it (my fault, a worn out nock allowed the arrow to separate from the string) and Mathews replaced a damaged cam under warranty.

I think Mathews is a good company that stands behind their products, but I'm sure it didn't hurt that I bought the bow from a local archery shop. Find a bow you like and that you shoot well, and buy it from a local shop. Don't get hung up on the speed ratings. You might save a few bucks buying from a large retailer or online, but I doubt if they will have the expertise to tune your bow, help you select the right arrows and accessories, etc.

Have fun and let us know what you end up with.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
In the past I have shot Hoyt (1 yoke), and had good experiences. Two years ago I switched to an Elite (no yokes!) and struggled to tune around the cam lean inherent it that design...basically, you can't. So last year I switched to a Bowtech (top and bottom yokes) for full tunability. When I went to the proshop I asked to shoot every bow they had, but figured I would walk out with a Hoyt or a Prime. I couldn't have been more wrong...the Bowtech Reign 7 and the PSE Evolve shot the best for me, though they were all pretty decent. Walked out with the Bowtech.

jmez

WKR
I would be hesitant to buy a 350 Destroyer. There are limb issues with that bow. You also won't be able to get parts for it from Bowtech if it breaks. When they discontinue their bows, once the parts are gone you are SOL unlees you can find somthing on ebay or Archery Talk. I like Bowtech's but wouldn't buy a Destroyer.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying; whatever feels best for you. All are good companies. I ended up with the Halon after shooting that, a Hoyt, and a bowtech. It just felt the best in hand and I liked the draw. My buddy has a Z7 and he loves it/Mathews in general. He had a buddy dry fire it with no ill effect and he's dropped it out of a tree stand with no damage.

RiverRun

FNG
They are all solid companies.. I know the Hoyt Pro Defiant and the new Rx-1 have been loved according to reviews. The Mathews Triax surprised me when I shot it. I have shot Mathews that i did not like, however the Triax was solid. personally, I shoot the PSE Carbon Stealth with the Evolve cam, and I have not found a bow that I like better. The back wall on those evolve cams are amazing when waiting on an animal to come in range. Good luck!

Loved my z7 extreme. Great bow, shot well, very forgiving. Went to Prime a few years ago (Alloy) and like it too. No experience with the others personally but my brother is a bowtech guy and loves his.

Just shoot em all and let the bow pick you. Probably can't go wrong that way.