Mathews V3 Arrow selection

Hey everyone! I’m new here but I read pretty regularly. Does anyone have any idea what the ATA rating is for the 31” model? I shoot the easton axis 260 currently in my vertix with a 28.5in draw at 75#. I’m wondering if I can get away with that in the V3. I noticed after the purchase and cutting of my arrows that Mathews goes by IBO on their site and the selection chart for easton is ATA. They shoot just fine and group really well but I’m just unsure before I order more. Thanks in advance!

Hard to answer without arrow build specs. Someone would have to independently verify a v3 and ATA. ATA is very strict, ibo has some......manipulation room. Ibo is going to come in faster Than ata. When using a spine chart that goes by ata and you have an ibo speed, and you are between spines, you can generally get away with what the chart shows as the weaker of the 2 spines. quite a few factors built into that though.....arrow length/insert weight/point weight, etc. It’s never a simple answer.

Vertix I believe was 343, v3 is 342. If the 260 worked on the vertix, you’ll be fine with them on the v3. 260 ‘seems’ stiff for that draw length/weight, but if you have a lot of weight up front that changes everything. Paper will ultimately tell you what you need to know.

Last edited:
OP
B
Thanks for such a quick response. My arrows paper tune perfect if that’s what you are referencing by paper and I shoot 125gr heads so I really like the 260s. It’s a perfect bullet every time. I have thought about the 300s but I like having that extra momentum since I’m shooting mechanical heads. I’m still learning...

Zac

WKR
I'm almost sure you are overspined. You can still tune a very stiff shaft however it will not be forgiving to small errors in your grip and release inconsistencies. 125 with a standard insert is not nearly enough to break down that spine.

I'm almost sure you are overspined. You can still tune a very stiff shaft however it will not be forgiving to small errors in your grip and release inconsistencies. 125 with a standard insert is not nearly enough to break down that spine.
Would take 200+ up front and a 600 grain arrow to make it spined I’m guessing. Without the arrow specs it’s hard to know. But I’m with you, 260 seems too stiff.

Do you have 75gr brass hit or standard 16gr aluminum?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac
I'm using 250 spine cut to somewhere short of 28", 27.5" I believe in a VXR @75# and 28.5. 125 heads, 60 grain inserts. Tuned up nice and easy and I wouldn't call it unforgiving.

OP
B
My finished weight is ~508 grains. I don’t have a grain scale but can do math. That’s a standard insert and components. My overall length is 29 in. I actually purchased some vap tko 300s and dropped to 100gr heads and they were much less forgiving than the 260 axis that I have. I’m open to suggestions but because of a mixup with Lancaster archery I have a whole second dozen of unfletched and already cut 260s

OP
B
Thanks @OR Archer Since I’m primarily a whitetail guy it wouldn’t be the end of the world to shed some weight so it’s something I was considering anyways. I’m just trying to pick the brains of guys that have been at this longer than I have.

The below chart is the one I was using. Unless I’m reading it wrong, and that’s possible, it shows I can use either the 300 or the 260. What are you guys thoughts? I could always sell the brand new dozen for what I have in them if they’re not what I need for maximal performance and forgiveness.

Id say ultimately if you are still learning, dont overcomplicate it too much. What you had worked with the vertix and the specs on the v3 are very close to where youll get similar results. Focus on consistent shot processes, grip the bow the same every time with minimal torque. You get good at that youll start noticing spine issues. If what you have works, just shoot.

The chart gets you in the ballpark. But the components matter just as much. More weight up front, more spine gets broken down. More weight in the back, stiffer the spine becomes. Just like the bow itself, you change 1 thing on an arrow, everything else changes too. Its definitely a rabbit hole, thats part of the obsession though.

OP
B
Id say ultimately if you are still learning, dont overcomplicate it too much. What you had worked with the vertix and the specs on the v3 are very close to where youll get similar results. Focus on consistent shot processes, grip the bow the same every time with minimal torque. You get good at that youll start noticing spine issues. If what you have works, just shoot.

The chart gets you in the ballpark. But the components matter just as much. More weight up front, more spine gets broken down. More weight in the back, stiffer the spine becomes. Just like the bow itself, you change 1 thing on an arrow, everything else changes too. Its definitely a rabbit hole, thats part of the obsession though.
Thank you. That was actually very insightful and I really appreciate that. It gives me some piece of mind on making the right decisions. I don’t see that there’s a “perfect” setup but it does give us something to play around with. Lol

Zac

WKR
I think the setup you need to strive for is the most forgiveness you can get in a stressful hunting situation. Witnessing perfect bullet holes and perfect arrow flight in doors is a world away from when you have an animal in front of you. An over spined shaft with a fixed blade, and an index style release is a disaster waiting to happen. There are reasons that optimal spine exists, and shooting at the range is not one of them.

OR Archer

WKR
I think the setup you need to strive for is the most forgiveness you can get in a stressful hunting situation. Witnessing perfect bullet holes and perfect arrow flight in doors is a world away from when you have an animal in front of you. An over spined shaft with a fixed blade, and an index style release is a disaster waiting to happen. There are reasons that optimal spine exists, and shooting at the range is not one of them.
Disaster waiting to happen? Seriously? That is a far fetched statement. Arrow “forgiveness” will not make up for piss poor shot selection or execution no matter the circumstances.

OP
B
I feel like should preface all of this before too many people get crossed up that I am not completely new to archery or bow hunting. I’m 27 and started bow hunting at 15. Of the 27 deer I’ve killed lifetime, only 5 have been with a rifle. I shoot almost daily year round and I’m very accurate. Am I another John Dudley? Not even remotely close but I’m not a TOTAL noob either. Im a first generation archer in my family. I’m just trying to learn how to have the maximal setup for my needs and wanting to be the most efficient hunter that I can be. I understand what spine etc is. I was looking for a deeper understanding of how it works and how to distribute weight without creating issues in the given spine with a very in between set of specs. Just another guy trying to squeeze every little bit of accuracy and performance out of his setup that he can and be fair to the animal at the same time.

We aren't talking about the kind of overspine you see for indoor shooting. That's a totally different ball game. Moving up a spine on the charts isn't the same as a 100 or 200 spine arrow out of a 50 or 60# bow with 200-250 up front.

Zac

WKR
Disaster waiting to happen? Seriously? That is a far fetched statement. Arrow “forgiveness” will not make up for piss poor shot selection or execution no matter the circumstances.
I don't believe so at all. Maybe you should ask Kyle from DC custom arrows, or Levi Morgan. Both of them will reiterate what I stated above.

Maybe you should ask Kyle from DC custom arrows, or Levi Morgan. Both of them will reiterate what I stated above.
FWIW, I heard Tim Gillingham say (on Kifarucast, I think) that spine doesn't really matter one way or the other (over, under, or spot on). I'm not claiming he's 100% right or wrong, just pointing out that there's a diversity of opinion amongst experts/world class shooters about the importance of "optimal" spine.

OR Archer

WKR
FWIW, I heard Tim Gillingham say (on Kifarucast, I think) that spine doesn't really matter one way or the other (over, under, or spot on). I'm not claiming he's 100% right or wrong, just pointing out that there's a diversity of opinion amongst experts/world class shooters about the importance of "optimal" spine.
Tim probably has more knowledge on arrows than most pros combined.