Maven B.2 Binos

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
after years of bouncing between various entry-level binos in 8x and 10x, I’m bumping up in quality to a mid-level (~$1k) binos. I love the fov of my 8’s but mostly hunt out west & would prefer the magnification of 10’s. I was really eyeing a pair of Zeiss conquest 8x42’s, but I came across the Maven B.2’s in 9x. Anyone have any experience with these? Would the lenses compare to similar cost german glass? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I ran some $250 Nikon pro staff 5 10x42 for a while and loved the color and clarity. It was not until I started glassing mule deer and elk at distance in the am and late pm where I started seeing a lot of purple haze, loss of sight towards last light and decided to buy better glass. I don’t own any German glass as it’s out of my price range (new) and just does not make since to me for how little of a difference I was personally able to see and how many times a year I would use them. I know there are people who are using the binos daily and the best glass would make since. Mine only get used 4 months out of a year. At the $1000 mark you are really getting some good glass and I no longer feel like glass is a limiting factor out in the field. I am sure someone has experience with the German or super premium glass and mavens side by side in the field to provide feedback.

When I was shopping around I compared the b1.2’s, c’s and b2 9’s and 11’s side by side at home and there was a slight difference between the b1.2 and b2’s at low light with the b2’s larger prism. I went in sore and looked at vortex HD(pre uhd) and Leupold and felt like I could get better glass for the money. I was on the fence between the b2 in a 9x and the new b1.2’s 10x and went with the lighter and larger apparent field of view on the b1.2’s. I still like the b2’s better as I can hand hold them more steady due to the weight but they are heavy. The field of view on the b1.2 is huge and I feel like I have to move my eyes around to take it all in. Don’t think I would go smaller than 10’s for all around use. The focus knob is alittle loud with bare fingers and a flick but it’s quiet and grippy with gloves. The b1.2 are super bright and I am able to see well before and after shooting light so they cover all of my needs.

I looked through the NL Pure and I loved the look and feel but could not tell a substantial difference for the price (in store and in daylight). I know there are other brands that make some great glass. Best of luck in your search and I think you will be very happy with your step up into the mid-high tier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corbin99

FNG
I own a pair of the Maven b.2 11x45 and they have been pretty solid binos. Before these I had the razor UHD 10x50. I like the color through the mavens. I had a chance to compare my maven to some swaros and the mavens held their own fairly well. I talked myself into selling the maven so I can go to the swaro. So if you decide you want the 11x45 let me know.

rideold

WKR
The b.2 binos are great. I demoed a pair and liked them. I ended up getting the b.6 instead because of the size and weight difference. The b.2's tend to be a bit front heavy and are larger for the same magnification. Personal preference in the end.

I have some b2 9x45’s and love them. Yes they are a bit heavier. No they aren’t the best money can buy but for what they cost they’re an excellent option. Zero complaints. And the weight does help when taking a look at things off the tripod.

Firehawk

WKR
i ran 9x45 B2s for 6 years with great results. Loved them. Buddies all ran with 11x45 B2s and they are good too. To me, the 11x45 were too hard to hand hold and so are any 10x frankly. I just struggle with the image due to my own shaking. The 9x45 seemed to allow me the ability to handhold without noticing the shake. And...they are awesome on a tripod.

I eventually found a deal on some Swaro EL 8.5x42 that that I couldn't pass up and used them side x side for a bit. Those Mavens held their own and were very close, but in the end I preferred the Swaro and moved the Mavens. I could have been happy for ever using them FWIW.

One buddy who ran the 11x45 eventually sold his to try the smaller, lighter trimmer 10x42 B1.2 and used them the past two seasons. To my eyes, they were sensitive in the depth of field, but the glass was awesome. From a tripod they were great too. He also moved to a newer set of Swaro EL 8.5 x 42 and has satisfied his "itch" to play with different glass. Another of our group still has his 11x45 B2 but also owns a Swaro NL Pure and it has become his day in/day out glass.

Good luck. I loved my B2 and would buy another without any hesitation.

FH

I have used the 9x42 b2 the maven 10x 42 b1 and their 18x 56. For the money they are hard to beat.

That being said to my eyes they don’t have the edge to edge clarity or the low light capabilities Swarovski has.

But they are a great price point and I like them just a tad better than the razor uhd line ( to my eyes)

Mavens customer service was very good. I damaged a pair and sent them back. It took a little while to get them back but they fixed them to like the day I received them.

If you’re only going to use them a few times a year I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them.

If you’re going to be using them more than a few times I would save up and buy a used set of SLCs or ELs.

Assuming buying used at sub $1k the B2 9s have a far greater value proposition against the competition in that price tier vs. mavens b1.2 or b6 line. The AK prisms really do make a difference for my eyes when it comes to brightness and it’s almost like the view is electronic if that makes sense. I’m selling off all my binos except my B2s as I don’t have confidence I’ll get someone better for the money snd I would only replace them with something I’ve looked through.

They don’t hand hold well and are heavy on the chest. The justification for a hunter would primarily be the extra minutes you’d get glassing vs using a SP prism like the b1/6 or a Zeiss conquest, etc.