A place for 15x Binos in Alaska?

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm moving to Anchorage, AK at the end of this month. Up until now, all my hunting as has been in either California or in Utah. I had been saving for 15x SLCs for a while now, as the end-game western-style binos, but with the move now locked in I've been wondering if I should continue putting away for the 15x SLCs or do something else with the pot now.

Those of you that hunt in Alaska, have you found any regular use of 15x binos? If so, how?

For comparison sake, my current line up is:
  • Main: Swarovski EL 8.5x42
  • Backup: Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42
  • Big Bino: Maven B4 15x56
  • Spotter: Nikon Monarch 82ED

I would use them. I always think about getting a set, but I find it hard to replace my Duovids that are 8/12x42. If I found a set of the Duovids in 10/15x50 it would be a no brainer.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I've not had any need for them. What little use you might have those Maven's might be all you need in 15x. I'd save that money for the inevitable purchase of more appropriate/necessary gear. Congratulations on the move!

mcseal2

WKR
I'm no AK expert or resident. I've been on 3 AK trips for moose, caribou, and blacktail on Kodiak. I left my Swaro 15's at home each trip and never missed them. 10x42's off a tripod at times were all I needed to locate game, then I went to my compact Kowa 554 spotter to evaluate it if needed.

I can't say I've ever packed my 15's for anything except deer, then I almost always pack them in the lower 48. I love them for hunting plains whitetail or muleys, I haven't hunted Coues but I'd pack them for that too.

I could see them being handy on Kodiak if the weather was good, but that only happened 1 day on our trip. Visibility just wasn't there to need 15's for the most part.