Maven c.1 vs kowa BD ll

Michael54

WKR
I recently bought a pair of maven c1 and kowa bdii in 10x42 with the total intention of comparing them side by side and sending back the pair i liked the least. I figured id share my thoughts here.
Weight- the kowas are lighter than the c1's. Not sure of the exact difference but it is definitely noticeable.

Build- both seem well built but the c1's take the edge. They seem like they could take a real beating.

Fov- this is basically a tie. Although both advertise significantly different numbers i was actually shocked at how close they really are comparing them side by side. Slight edge to the kowas

Picture quality- kowas hands down. I could clearly see turkeys at 700 yards with the c1's, i could compare beard lengths on the gobblers with the kowas

Low light- kowas have the edge. I put both side by side at dusk looking at a dead log inside the field edge. I got a full 5 minutes more visibility out of the kowas.

Focus- c1's have a LOT bigger sweet spot. Once i got them focused i almost never had to touch the focus knob. The kowas have to be adjusted on almost everything. The focus knob on the kowas is more comfortable. Both seem to be aluminum however the kowas seem to have a subtle traction grid and the c1s have an aggressive grooving.

Price- c1's were $357 after tax and the bdii's were $404.10 on sale at Cameraland

1st unboxing reaction- c1's showed up on saturday and i really liked them. To the point where i told a buddy i kind of wished i only ordered the c1s. I would completely be satisfied with the c1s.
The kowas arrived on wednesday. WOW was my immediate reaction. I could instantly tell that they were lighter and the picture quality was clearer.

For me personally although i would be totally satisfied with either pair as my binoculars for the next 20 years the mavens are on their way back. The two selling factors for me was the clarity of the kowas and the low light performance. I mainly hunt here in pennsylvania with a trip out west every few years. If i was out west with binos on a tri pod all hunting season every hunting season i would have probably kept the mavens and returned the kowas. Mainly because of the sweet spot the c1's have. I have never owned or used alpha glass and this is a perfect case of ignorance is bliss for me. In my opinion after looking at, researching, and shopping for sub $500 binos over the past year or so these two brands definitely outperform most of the others in their class.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your input. Looking at the exact same two pairs of binos. Just received the Maven C1 and the image quality is very good clear. For me it has been a challenge to keep both eyes in focus and agree that the FOV is a little limiting. The glass quality beats my old Vortex Talon HD which I will be selling. Looking forward to getting the Kowa's for comparison.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Thanks for your input. Looking at the exact same two pairs of binos. Just received the Maven C1 and the image quality is very good clear. For me it has been a challenge to keep both eyes in focus and agree that the FOV is a little limiting. The glass quality beats my old Vortex Talon HD which I will be selling. Looking forward to getting the Kowa's for comparison.
You won't be dissapointed

takmaster

FNG
This is a comparison I was keen on seeing as I am looking at both in 10x42 to upgrade from my Mojave Green ring 8x. Sounds like I would like the image quality of the Kowa better on my sheep hunt this fall.

4GIVON

FNG
I compared these recently as well (along with Nikon M5 / Burris Signature HD / Bushnell Engage EDX / Hawke Frontier). The Kowa binocs were my top pick. They felt really stable in the hand and had a great image & build quality. Wish they came with a lifetime warranty tho