Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Leupold VX5

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Nightforce SHV

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

rcb2000

WKR
I mostly hunt out east, with a few trips out west every year. Both archery and rifle.
Currently have Maven C1, 8x42 and a SFWA 10x42 scope on my Tikka.
Also have a Athlon Ares 15-45 spotter*

Looking to get either some Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42x or Maven B2 11x45,,, OR Leupold Vx5 or Nightforce SHV

Considering an update to one for this year, a little context. My 8’s left me wanting more while glassing out west at distance, found myself borrowing my Dads Mavens. Also had an issue with my turret screws coming loose on my SWFA scope and caused a bit of a headache, luckily it was at the range while checking zero so didn’t cost me an animal.

If you sell your current binos that will add funds to your budget.

Leica Trinovid 10x42 HD would be in my top picks. Buy a Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite while you are at it. Binos on a tripod is a game changer.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
If you sell your current binos that will add funds to your budget.

Leica Trinovid 10x42 HD would be in my top picks. Buy a Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite while you are at it. Binos on a tripod is a game changer.
I have a Slik 664 and a Sirui head, plus an old Vortex one for my son to use, so good on the tripod front.
Plan on giving my Mavens to my son, so not necessarily part of the equation.

TN2shot07

WKR
I like the Mavens but I’d go with the 9’s unless you are running them primarily on a tripod. I had a hard time hand holding the 11’s. The Zeiss is also a solid choice. I’m not against scope upgrades either but neither of those would be my first pick

TaperPin

WKR
+1 for focusing on binoculars.

A $400 spotter on a good tripod will look as clear as a $3000 swaro on a cheap tripod, so make sure that’s up to speed.

sndmn11

WKR
Recommendation? @Shortschaf also
I have had b2 and b1 mavens. I think the b1.2 in 8x is a great consideration. FOV is s priority for how I use them. If you really want 10x, I think the b6 is a better choice.

$1k Kowa, tract, meopta, Leica, and the zeiss you mentioned are worth a look. If you can find Leupold bx4, they are also a good step up from Maven c series and $500ish

My suggestions are for my eyes, but I believe you'd have to spend a good bit of time developing your own preferences to decide "best" from above. If you can get hands on any, focus on ergonomics and face fit would be a wise way to decide in my opinion. Do the eyecups mush your cheek when adjusted to the right eye relief? Do the stops on the eye relief hit what you need or are you in between? Is the focus in the right spot for your hand? Does anything push on your nose? Etc. It's no fun fiddling with binoculars that aren't easy to use, and there's enough "good glass" options around $1k that you can choose what works best.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Being that it's not my money, I gear towards getting the best used glass that maxes out your $1200. Like others note, you really should to try stuff side by side to see what your eyes like.

Anything Swarovski, Leica, or Meopta Meostar gets my vote. These are under 1000

If you have already tried those Zeiss's you mentioned and you like them, there's a used set on sale for $600. I've never used them so I'm just sharing the deal.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would sell the spotter, and put that money with what you have to get some bigger/better glass like 15x if you are glassing out west. Good 15s are way more useful than a lesser spotter.

JFK

WKR
I’d sell the 10x, add that to your budget, then try to swap it out with an swfa 6x or 3-9. I say “try” because you can’t buy them unless you find one used. They are out there though. The 3-10 shv is nice as well, but quite a bit more money. A fixed 10x just isn’t a great multi purpose hunting scope in my opinion.

You could buy a used 6x or 3-9 swfa and probably have enough left over to get binos as well.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d sell the 10x, add that to your budget, then try to swap it out with an swfa 6x or 3-9. I say “try” because you can’t buy them unless you find one used. They are out there though. The 3-10 shv is nice as well, but quite a bit more money. A fixed 10x just isn’t a great multi purpose hunting scope in my opinion.

You could buy a used 6x or 3-9 swfa and probably have enough left over to get binos as well.
That’s a good suggestion as well. Spread the funds to improve both some more.