MBA and your experience

I am 1/3 of the way thru my MBA. Since my GI bill ran out, I've been chipping away at it as funds allow. From what I've read, engineers benefit greatly from earning an MBA. Based on that, I'd say go for it!

As far as online vs. In person: I've done it both ways. Obviously in person is always great since you get to interact with the professor and other students far more than online. If that isnt possible, don't sweat going online. It's super easy!

Also, most people/employers could care less about which accredited school you attend. Almost no one gives a crap about top 10, 20, 30 schools. Just get the MBA from wherever works best for you.

I ran a small business and was a stay at home dad for my 2 kids while I was attending school. It had frustrating moments where I had to burn the midnight oil because the kids took up my day time. I was able to handle it all just fine though.

Good luck to you!

jayhawk

WKR
Did a few semesters of an MBA program. The school really matters and, honestly, an online learning experience is just not worth the money if you ask me. Rather than go all in, maybe you could take a couple courses (one you're familiar with, and the other one you know will be a challenge) just to get your feet wet and see how the classes go and how you handle the schedule.

Mt Al

WKR
If you like the company you work for, they suggest that you do it, they reimburse you: IMHO, go for it. I do think MBAs help (us) engineers more than other disciplines. I opted for an MS in engineering vs. MBA because it was convenient at the time and I don't regret it one bit. In fact, it's one of the best things I ever did in terms of career path. Two good friends have BS engineering/MBA and it has helped them out a ton. They both went to recognized programs vs. MBA mill - and it 'can' matter but doesn't necessarily.

Love Texasproud11's comment as well: certs can be a big deal for certain employers, consulting, etc.. American Society for Quality (ASQ, if that's what they're still called) has some awesome certs in addition to lean six sigma. I had one called Certified Quality Professional or something like that - long ago, kept up the continuing ed requirements for 10+ years, then dropped it. It really helped at the time, though, as does PMP (you can say "I'm a certified PiMP")

MattB

WKR
Parroting what was said above, some company’s want to see an engineer have an MBA in order to ascend into the management ranks. If that is your situation, I would say go for it. Education is transportable to other firms as well.

My MBA is from a Silicon Valley school and most of my class-mates were engineers from local tech companies that were trying to round out their resumes for advancement into management positions.

In that regard, don’t discount the value of an in-person education for networking purposes in the event you may eventually want to change firms.

I got my MBA straight out of undergrad and worked 25 years for a top 3 US bank. Retired at 51. What I can say is my MBA helped juice my salary early in my career which helped a lot over the course of my career. Money well spent, not only in terms of education and connections, but also world view.

Full disclosure, it will probably make participating in political threads on hunting forums pretty unbearable. 😀

Quality problems…

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
I would just consider a couple things. Do you like your current job? How much money do you make? How much more will you earn with the MBA? Will the MBA get you a job you will like? If it will make you happier and get you the same or more money I would think it was worth it. Even if you made a little less and loved your new job it might be worth it. Being miserable and making a lot of money will not make you happy.

bozeman

WKR
Got mine online while working, took 3 years. Early 30’s, married, two kids……easy, no. Worth it, yes! Go get it!

know what you want to get out of it and focus on that. MBAs vary a lot. Full time degree from a top program is the cost of entry to some positions like Wall Street jobs. Part time programs are a great way to supplement your current skill set.

a full time program IMO is only worth it for people that want to get that credential, transition careers or/and build a network of peers. If that is your goal, shoot for the moon and go for the best program you can get into. I am 20 years out from my full time MBA from UCLA. It was just barely top 10 at the time and I lived in LA so I got in state tuition, making it the best value of the four programs I applied to. It was a nice break, I had a lot of fun, I learned some things (I have a finance undergrad degree) but mostly it was a recruiting effort for some finance positions and a network builder. On the recruiting piece, I started networking for my post MBA job before I started classes and tat process continued all my first year, through a summer internship and through finalizing my offer, the fall of my second year - Basically a 2-year job fair while I studied and partied in my spare time. if I was doing it over again, I would have applied to the top 10 and gone to the best school I was accepted at - More value to the cedential, better recruiting options and more value to your peer network.

on the other hand, part time and even executive programs are great ways to expand your knowledge into other areas of business. Especially good if you come from a non business or technical background. Most will give you a very broad indoctrination into various areas of business and then let you tailor the back half of your program to your goals. I would say the learning and credential value are diluted quite a bit compared to a full time program, but you can still build a network And learn a ton. Don’t expect recruiters to be as focused on part item program grads as full time, if that is your goal. If you are looking at part time programs, I would cast the net a bit wider. Some really good schools run e learning programs that not all that much more than the lower tier offerings.

happy to chat if you are looking for more feedback.

Rich M

WKR
I'm a geologist - had my own company, 2008 recession killed that in May 2010. Couldn't find work, 803 resumes sent between May and December 2010. Tried to go back to college for Master and change direction. The colleges have changed their requirements since I got BS in 92. They wanted to lock me in for 2-4 more years just for "requirements". A 20 year professional with professional license and BS degree couldn't just go to college. LOL!

Decided to run with MBA from University of Phoenix and did in person classes. 1/2 way thru had a job offer to manage an engineering office and be the QC signature for contamination cleanup... Took the job and worked long hours thru the second half of the program. Graduated w honors 2012. I'm very proud of that degree.

I agree that MBA is a little watered down these days and that the school name will make your MBA more valuable. Online degree is a little less but better than nothing. What folks forget is that you are actually learning stuff and it makes you a better employee, more profitable, more better.

I started managing a department in 2014 for a mid-size engineering firm and made it profitable, prior to that it was not profitable but kept to provide service to clients as a business strategy. After about 6-7 years of making money where they had not, they made a partnership offer. The MBA made the difference between profitable and not profitable. In the company, we have 5 partners, 2 of us have MBA.

I say it is a good move.

CoStick

WKR
I earned my MBA while working, was not an online program but even with an on campus program many classes are offered in an online forum. I feel it has value, especially if you need the knowledge and skill that comes along with it. For me certifications that are specific to my field we’re more beneficial.

I think it certainly never hurts to broaden experience and build knowledge, I am glad I have it, but if I had to choose field specific certification have been more beneficial for me.

Last edited:

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
All good advice. If you intend to stay at your current company, find some people there who are willing to have a frank discussion about how the program(s) you're considering are perceived.

You will get transferable skills from about any program out here, if you do your part. But part of an MBA is also credentialing. Good program rankings and low acceptance rates have signal value beyond what you learn in the classroom. Not to mention that more elite programs typically have better teaching and a higher caliber of peer students--both of which will accelerate your learning.

There are some phenomenal online programs out there that are rigorous and robust...and some that are well-regarded. I'd definitely have those conversations with your in-company mentors/people you respect to make sure your programs are seen as a pedigree as well as a skills-enhancer.

As for work + degree, it's hard and takes dedication. But people make it work. Even people in extraordinarily difficult positions, like single parents working full time, will make it work. There will be tradeoffs in other parts of your life. But they are temporary.

Last thing I'd say is consider a talk with someone in HR or a good mentor about your goals. Do you want to lead at a division (or more) level?--in that case an MBA is a better tool than, say, six sigma. Do you want to manage project teams and focus on your engineering? Perhaps there are also other forms of credentialing that would serve you.

I have a mechanical engineering degree. I was working an entry level job when the market went tits up in 2008/2009, and was lucky to keep my job through several rounds of layoffs. Normally folks work that position 2 years before moving on, but job opportunities to move up evaporated. So in 2011, just as my wife (accounting degree) was wrapping up her MBA I started mine. It was in person one night a week and it took about 2 years. Compared to engineering school it was a complete breeze. Pretty much as soon as I started school I got promoted 2 levels up within the company. I like to think the decision to go back to school helped me in the interview room.

As I have moved up certainly there are lots of folks with MBA's, and now I'm starting to see Masters in Engineering degrees in some of my peers. I have a PMP certification (well, now expired).

I see the MBA, and the professional cert, as talking points in an interview. What I'm really trying to covey is that I'm willing to work on myself to achieve my career goals.

If your company is paying for it, it's a no brainer. Improve yourself and network.

Wow!! Some fantastic advice and insight has been given here.. All I can add would be that more education, training, experience, etc, etc will always make you a more rounded person/employee.. Times change too.. When I was getting my education (years ago) an MBA or any advanced degree was an exception and carried a lot of weight in the market.. Now days I don't think they mean as much in most fields... I have been in IT management for well over 30 years and have learned that many/most degrees don't tell me anything about your abilities, experience, etc, etc.. all it proves (to me) is that you have the aptitude to learn and the persistence to hang in there... When it comes to hiring or handing out advancements, (I've done a lot of both) I take a simple approach, what is your atitude toward work and the specific work required by this job and aptitude/ability to learn.. Without those two elements the job will never work for the employee or employer... Heed all the advice given and weigh out what your true goals are (ex: make the most money I can, Have the highest level responsibility I can, be the happiest I can be at my job, be the most challenged, etc, etc).. the answer will become clear as you answer these questions for yourself.. Once you set your goals, understand the cost (financial, personal, etc) and determine what cost you're willing/able to pay.. Also, if you decide to proceed, advance at a pace that works for you.. I took five years to get my MBA, but I was working full time, having kids, etc, etc.. Life happens so don't set such agressive goals that you make them unreachable.. Also, if your married, make sure you discuss every part of your decision with your spouse/family. Any decision you make will affect your family life.. I made it a family project and my wife stood by me every step of the way.. My MBA meant every bit as much to her as it did to me.. She has an advanced degree so it goes both ways.. All the best and good luck in making your decision..

Last edited:
OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
Thank you everyone for all the advice! Everyone has given me a lot to think about. Fortunately with archery elk season approaching i will have a lot of time alone in the woods to contemplate everything. I’m not going to lie and say going back doesn’t make me a bit nervous. I do have a wife and kids at home. The wife is completely supportive as was I when she was getting her masters in education.

bozeman

WKR
My employer paid for 50% and they have an expectation of an MBA to get above certain levels within the company. If they are willing to invest in me, I was willing to take the time/put forth the effort to complete it. The online MBA was quite difficult and being in a dorm/in person while getting my B.S. was much easier, to me. I take my educational endeavors seriously so it was quite time consuming. It also gives you real world experience on remote teams/groups and working together to accomplish a goal.

In 2010 I got into a good school (read expensive) for an applied economics program (less math). I could do most of the coursework online without relocating so my plan was to work after undergrad and go that route until I had to relocate. -- I never did finish. I knew I was wasting my time from an education standpoint when I realized I was taking my work from work and turning it in as homework.

Basically, my job was my master's program and I don't think not having the letters after my name has slowed my career trajectory. What I'm getting at is, that this decision is highly personal and dependent on your current position and career path.

elkyinzer

WKR
Depends what you're looking to do. Currently role and size of company? Looking to bump a little higher in middle management or hop into the C-suite?

Reputation of the school absolutely matters. Super generalized advice, I'd say top reputable programs, generally worth it especially if you are willing and able to leverage the networks and move around (jobs and probably geographically). Mid and lower tier programs, some may be worth it or give your pay a quick jolt, but it starts to gets iffy to downright waste of resources and aren't going to open doors in the same way the top tier programs do.

I'm mixed on the MBA. Depends on what you do and how much you have to pay. If the company is paying and the requirements for you to stay aren't too bad, do it. Education never hurts and it can diversify the work you can do.

If you want to rock in finance, I'd say its a requirement to get up.

I'm an engineer (BSEE and MSEE), and I picked mine up with the company paying, and got it from a good school when it was a fairly new and unknown program (hopkins). Compared to my BSEE, it was a cakewalk. I did it in a year and a half because I don't like to stretch things like that out.

It has been useful in working in different aspects of engineering (functional management, program management, biz development, etc) but I don't think I really ever made more money because I had it - maybe early on.

I'm glad I never spent my own money on it, but glad that I have it. It was better than sitting around drinking beer and playing guitar which was all I was doing before I jumped into it.