McMillan A-3, likes, dislikes?

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few McMillan stocks, mainly the Game Hunter, and I'm thinking about an A-3 for my Defiance Tenacity/Proof Carbon 24"/6.5CM. I like the clean lines of the stock but have not handled one. Any experiences would be appreciated.

I had an A-3 for a 300wm build. I really like the lines and ergonomics of it as well. I prefer to add the adjustable comb option personally because I like a high cheek weld but even without it, I really liked it.

I had one with adjustable cheat piece. Loved the stock but it was HEAVY. Sold it and swapped it out for an EH1.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I had one with adjustable cheat piece. Loved the stock but it was HEAVY. Sold it and swapped it out for an EH1.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I do like the EH1 but not sure if I have the patience to wait for nine months and maybe get one that fits properly. I did visit their shop in KS, they were friendly and answered all of my questions but you could tell that they are crazy busy trying to get all of their orders out the door.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I run the A3-5 on a few rifles had one on a custom 308 an armorer put together for me and fell in love with that stock worked really well for me. Very solid stock easy to bed. I dont have a 308 anymore at this time besides my LMT I'm thinking about getting a lefty bergara and that will be the stock it ends up in. If I could find an action at a decent price I'd probably just build a lefty but hard to find lefty actions that dont cost more than a full rifle it seems.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
The McMillan A3 is a great design overall. With CF shell, it comes in a shade less than 2 lbs... plenty light enough. It's got a minuscule .3" inches of drop on a straight comb. It's super easy to throw a cheek pad on that and get behind even high-ish glass. Only two real points of concern:
1. Depending on how you feel about reach to the trigger, you might want a custom inlet with the action moved rearward a bit.
2. The square-ish profile of the forend wants some texture for secure purchase in the hand.

If I were doing a dedicated hunting rig, I'd also consider the Game Warden LR. Negative comb and the action moved back about as far as can be managed right off the bat.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
The McMillan A3 is a great design overall. With CF shell, it comes in a shade less than 2 lbs... plenty light enough. It's got a minuscule .3" inches of drop on a straight comb. It's super easy to throw a cheek pad on that and get behind even high-ish glass. Only two real points of concern:
1. Depending on how you feel about reach to the trigger, you might want a custom inlet with the action moved rearward a bit.
2. The square-ish profile of the forend wants some texture for secure purchase in the hand.

If I were doing a dedicated hunting rig, I'd also consider the Game Warden LR. Negative comb and the action moved back about as far as can be managed right off the bat.
I appreciate that feedback, I wear an XL glove so maybe the grip would be ok? I'm good with #2. I have dedicated hunting rigs, they wear the Game Hunters which I generally like so this would be more of a target/long range practice rifle. The GWLR looks kinda funky but I've never held one so not really sure of the ergos. I'm thinking this rifle would be used mostly from the bench with a 6" bipod.

This is the rig that will get the stock swap, it's a Defiance / Proof @ 24" / McMillan Game Hunter in 6.5 CM. The barrel is a bit long so I'm building another with a 22" tube and I'll swap the supresser for an AREA 419 brake.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
XL gloves? I surmise you'll be just fine with a "normal" A3. I have ML hands and consider myself to be shorter of digit than some... and I still use a regular A3 without perceived difficulty. There are very few stocks that can get me to a 90 degree trigger finger, so I don't worry about it too much.

I had the Gen1 Game Warden at one point as well - which was a very similar stock, just a slightly different forend profile. That was on a long action M70, no issues with stock performance (and my wife thought it looked nice in their molded in camo, so there's that).

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
XL gloves? I surmise you'll be just fine with a "normal" A3. I have ML hands and consider myself to be shorter of digit than some... and I still use a regular A3 without perceived difficulty. There are very few stocks that can get me to a 90 degree trigger finger, so I don't worry about it too much.

I had the Gen1 Game Warden at one point as well - which was a very similar stock, just a slightly different forend profile. That was on a long action M70, no issues with stock performance (and my wife thought it looked nice in their molded in camo, so there's that).
I've got the Game Scout (similar to the GW) on a Win 70 and I like it. Having gone to a vertical grip on most of my rifles, the rifles with what I call traditional/open-grip, feel odd these days. I compare them to shotgun grips, good for instinctive pointing and fast shooting but not so great for determined shooting at distant targets.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I concur. Open grips are great for carrying a rifle or shotgun in front of you at the ready and mounting it quickly. However, just about every rifle shooting discipline removed from that requirement (e.g. 10m air rifle, biathlon, 3-position, 3-gun/2-gun, PRS, F-class, Bench Rest) converges on vertical grips. It's easier for me to build a position with a vertical grip, especially if that position is unsupported. I would gather I'm not alone in that.