Meat care on warm hunts

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be hunting the breaks with my brother the last week in September. We will have 10 days to get two tags filled. If we are fortunate enough to harvest two elk we will need to figure out a good strategy for keeping the meat in the best condition possible. Is dry ice better than frozen milk jugs? How many coolers do you guys recommend, we’ve got two 150q coolers and another big yeti cooler (not sure on size). Also I was curious if bringing a boat is worth it or if hiking in off roads will be just as effective. Thanks ahead of time for the responses!

11boo

WKR
If you can get to civilization and ice, and get creative with some tarps, you can keep the meat cold for several days in camp with sixty bucks worth of ice. I don’t see Two elk fitting in three coolers. The ride home will be the trick keeping it cold. Might be able to do something with tarps, sleeping bags and wet or dry ice.

rayporter

WKR
dry ice will keep the jugs frozen a lot longer -

if you are successful the cost of another cooler is a non issue to get meat home.

on occasion I have used 4 ft plastic tool boxes for meat -I just packed ice around the meat after lining the box with old sleeping pads.

also have used a 4x4 wood box.

we hauled a dozen bulls to ohio and never had a cooler. we put down sleeping pads and packed the meat with dry ice on the pads then covered with gear. meat would be frozen by the time we hit the Mississippi.

stop and buy some one inch Styrofoam and duct tape it up for a cooler.

get creative