Meat Grinder Recommendations

Well, the time has finally come to get a new meat grinder since my old $250 STX Turboforce crapped out this week. I'm currently looking at the LEW #32 and MYM #32, both 1.5HP units, and trying to weigh the pros and cons. With the MYM sale going on, there is a substantial price difference between the two options, however the longevity of LEM as a company and options to buy replacement parts at nearly any store in town has me thinking it might be worth the increased cost. Does anyone have any feedback on either of these models that have used them for a while now? How has your experience been? (grinding, customer service, replacement parts needed, etc) Open to other suggestions as well, thanks everyone.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm happy with my Weston Pro #22. Most other grinder brands use a smaller diameter shaft housing, but the splined drive shaft is the same, so you can just fill the gap and us LEM accessories (such as meat mixer).

Or such is my understanding, I have not bought the meat mixer yet.

Legend

WKR
I went with the LEM and have no complaints. I would go with the 32 or nothing. The second grind on burger is where you see the difference on speed.

I tried to buy a MYM but the customer service was just not up to par when I called them.

I went with MYM 1.5 hp and I’m very pleased with it. Can’t say it’s better than some others I’ve never used, but I’d imagine it can’t be worse. Had it for 3 years now and it’s done 6 moose and a handful of other large mammals. It just ate through an entire moose last Saturday and the speed blows my mind every time.

We used to rent a 1.5hp thunderbird every year to process prior to purchase. Supposedly a superior grinder but would take twice as long as the MYM and we would have to stop all the time to let it cool down. Paid under $500 for the 1.5hp MYM, about $400 less than the comparable LEM and Weston and $1k less than the thunderbird. Agreed on a big negative being parts. I’ve contacted them twice now to sell me a spare blade and they refuse. They reference their warranty, but that don’t do sh!t for me when it’s Saturday morning and I got 300lbs of thawed meat and need to wait until Tuesday for a part to (hopefully) arrive! There are parts online that claim to fit, just need to order and try em out. Kinda grumpy about it so keep putting it off.

The MYM doesn’t have the guts as the old 7.5 hp Hobart I used everyday growing up, but it easily does a couple moose a year in quick order!

OP
mountainman406
I went with MYM 1.5 hp and I’m very pleased with it. Can’t say it’s better than some others I’ve never used, but I’d imagine it can’t be worse. Had it for 3 years now and it’s done 6 moose and a handful of other large mammals. It just ate through an entire moose last Saturday and the speed blows my mind every time.

We used to rent a 1.5hp thunderbird every year to process prior to purchase. Supposedly a superior grinder but would take twice as long as the MYM and we would have to stop all the time to let it cool down. Paid under $500 for the 1.5hp MYM, about $400 less than the comparable LEM and Weston and $1k less than the thunderbird. Agreed on a big negative being parts. I’ve contacted them twice now to sell me a spare blade and they refuse. They reference their warranty, but that don’t do sh!t for me when it’s Saturday morning and I got 300lbs of thawed meat and need to wait until Tuesday for a part to (hopefully) arrive! There are parts online that claim to fit, just need to order and try em out. Kinda grumpy about it so keep putting it off.

The MYM doesn’t have the guts as the old 7.5 hp Hobart I used everyday growing up, but it easily does a couple moose a year in quick order!
That's my biggest issue is having to go through customer service for everything. From what others have stated, a lacking CS is also not ideal when trying to get replacement parts and relying on them to come through when meat is on the table waiting.

Jclink

FNG
Classified Approved
I have the MYM #32 and have had nothing but good luck with it. All my processing equipment is either MYM or Lem and I can’t say one is better than the other. Lem seems to have any piece or part I’ve needed and it gets here quick, but I haven’t needed anything for the MYM stuff yet to compare to. I know it doesn’t help you with your decision. But man that grinder can chew through 25# of meat in a real hurry. I’m talking minutes.

Second grind is a little slower, but the grinding is still the shortest time in the process of making sausages than any other part of it.

I also have the MYM chamber vac and it has worked well for me. I vacuum seal everything now, takes seconds and the bags are dirt cheap compared to the other style bags. I just leave the machine on a shelf downstairs (it’s a beast to move) and bring whatever I need sealed up down there and seal it up.

I have probably processed about 600 pounds of meat through it all so far.
Good luck with your decision!

I ordered the Meat! Your Maker 1.5HP #32 grinder as well. It came damaged (the grinder housing part) and I've been waiting since Sep 13th for the replacement to arrive. Had to call twice as the first guy tried to talk me out of wanting a 100% condition new machine and lied about ordering the part (which they don't even stock or sell). Second call two weeks later the guy was more helpful but said he had to order an entire unit to salvage from, then ship that part to me...

If it works it should be great, but man this CS so far is hot trash.

z987k

WKR
I bought a MYM 1.0hp dual grind on sale this year and we did the moose with it. The free shipping to AK is what made me go with it over a Walton. I would have bought the Walton, but the shipping was more than the unit and they refused to ship it to WA to a forwarder that would have made the shipping reasonable and not charge me WA sales tax, which defeated the purpose of doing it.

It ran through the moose in short order. It also connected perfectly to the cabela's meat mixer. I bet they're made on the same line in china next to each other.
As far as parts like the cutting knives and plates, they're standard size so you can order those from anyone and they fit. As for internals, well, I haven't used the CS, so hopefully I don't have to.

Highly recommend going with the dual grind feature. Saves boatloads of time not having to run it again.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
When I was researching a 1.5 hp grinder I really wanted to buy one from MYM due to their pricing. But they took forever to answer some very basic questions. Some questions they never answered.
Due to their poor customer service I passed and waited for a good sale from LEM. I'm very happy with my choice.

I bought a LEM grinder some years ago. I was impressed so every piece of equipment I buy I go with LEM. There are some new options out there now like MEAT that are getting great reviews. I will stick with recommending LEM as that is what I have experience with. I have a 1hp #22 big bite. I only grind once but I make sure my meat is very cold.

SloppyJ

WKR
I've had great luck with my LEM grinder. I bought a slicer and a 10 tray dehydrator as well. Went to dehydrate some jalapenos this year and the damn fan quit working just out of warranty. Called them up and had an "upgraded" fan and bushing sent out for $20. Although that ticked me off a bit, the customer service is there and it's repairable.

Run a foot pedal with whatever grinder you get. You can get one from Harbor Freight for super cheap.

svivian

WKR
Ive put about 2000lbs of meat through he MYM 1.5hp grinder and it has been awesome. Also bought their stuffer and meat mixer. Love the meat mixer especially for 50lb batches. The stuffer is decent but might shop around on that piece.

Ive put about 2000lbs of meat through he MYM 1.5hp grinder and it has been awesome. Also bought their stuffer and meat mixer. Love the meat mixer especially for 50lb batches. The stuffer is decent but might shop around on that piece.

Glad to hear the mixer is nice.. I was going to buy it, but i prematurely had to purchase a vac sealer

If you can wait, Walton's has a Black Friday sale on their grinders every year. They usually have some good deals.

MThuntr

WKR
A lot of grinders are made in the same factory and a label is slapped on it. I have an Excalibur branded grinder which is the exact same as LEM. The LEM seems to be pretty good.

I know a lot of people with Cabelas cards have Carnivore grinders which are often on sale and have discounts which bring the costs down. They seem to all be happy with them.

A lot of grinders are made in the same factory and a label is slapped on it. I have an Excalibur branded grinder which is the exact same as LEM. The LEM seems to be pretty good.

I know a lot of people with Cabelas cards have Carnivore grinders which are often on sale and have discounts which bring the costs down. They seem to all be happy with them.
I'm one of those guys with the Carnivore. Mine is pre-merger model, I'm not sure of the newer models but mine is a 1.5 hp and would grind tree limbs all day if I asked it to.

elkguide

WKR
My MYM #22 has been a great machine for me. I've only processed 6 deer but amazed at how good of a job it did and how fast it was.

Weston #22 user here. Thing takes longer to clean up then to use for the grinding work. Wife said she's not buying store packaged hamburger ever again.