Meat Packing

charvey9

WKR
The main purpose of pack stock, right? How do you guys pack out large game like elk?

From what I've researched, traditional way is to leave the bone in then manty up the quarters with a barrel hitch. This would take at least two animals (or multiple trips) to get the whole beast out. My goal is to figure out how to get an elk out with one trip, because I only have one pack animal at the moment. Figuring myself into the equation, and carrying up to 80lbs myself if needed the rest of the weight should be manageable for my mule.

Are there any tips for packing boned out meat to maximize the haul? Manty vs. Panniers? I understand that loading/stabilizing loose boned out meat could be difficult. What about using modified pack board/frames to set the meat on, and then manty those?

rayporter

WKR
ya boned out meat can be a pain. if cold you have big ice cubes of all shapes to pack. even a pannier is hard to pack because of the lumps.

even then you will have maxed out your animal.

mntnguide

WKR
If you are using sack panniers...boned out meat is pretty easy. Just make sure both sides are about equal in weight and throw a diamond hitch on to secure it...Is it a heavy load...yes....can your animal handle it for one trip...easily. Mules and horses can haul a lot more than we could ever lift on them for a trip, though you wouldnt want to do it on a daily basis, you are not going to hurt your animal if you properly load them and have a correct fitting saddle and continue to check your load on the way out to make sure it is not sliding one way or the other. . This method would be a bit trickier with a decker saddle and manties, I personally would still get sack panniers to hook on the decker if you only have the one animal to haul out with.

I've done both. The traditional way we used was to split the backbone and make true quarters. Front quarter was basket hitched and hind quarter was barrel hitched with antlers lashed on top.

Figure a boned out bull elk will give you in the ballpark of 180-240 pounds of boned meat. Mantying boned out meat is very difficult because there is no rigidity or structure for the load. A piece of plywood would help greatly. Lay manty tarp down, put piece of plywood (18x30is) on top, pile your meat on (take that however you wish) and manty it up.

You can use the canvas panniers with the brass hooks to attach to a Decker. This is the route I would go. You could go 85-90 pounds per side, antlers on top and you carry the rest.

View attachment 27225

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
We debone our moose everytime,to heavy to leave bone in. We get about 420# deboned meat from each moose. We use soft and hard panniers, have never tried mantys, they look like a pain to me, JMO

Heres half a moose deboned, headed for camp Hard and soft panniers
IMG

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
We debone our moose everytime,to heavy to leave bone in. We get about 420# deboned meat from each moose. We use soft and hard panniers, have never tried mantys, they look like a pain to me, JMO

Heres half a moose deboned, headed for camp Hard and soft panniers
IMG

Nice. I gravitated toward manties because they seemed so simple and versatile, but a set of Utah style panniers may also be in my future.

Manties are simple and versatile, especially when you are packing stuff like wall tents, stoves, cots, tables, etc. that you would have a hard time fitting into panniers.

For more of a ultralight style of packing where you are using backpacking gear, I think panniers would serve you very well. If you have access to a stitching awl, a leather punch, and a rivet set you could probably build a set for pretty cheap.

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, most of our stuff is lightweight style, but not quite as light as backpacking:). We take what need for some luxury, but cots and lawn chairs stay at home, for us. Wall tent is a top load. I figure if u keep the weight down with the materials, we need to bring out with us, the more we can harvest:cool:

Im liking this new category, its nice to hear the different way people do thinpgs..like they say many ways to skin a cat. 10 more sleeps and loading the stock headed for stones..

cowboy300

WKR
For boned out meat panniers are definitely the way to go. I have found the Utah style to work best. You can get an entire boned out elk out in one trip. If its fairly flat or a short trip you can also pack out a whole bull that has been short quartered but it is a fairly heavy load. You can also turn soft panniers into hard panniers by going to Walmart and finding one of those rubbermaid storage containers that fit inside. Also for guys not packing in cots, go to Sportsmans and check out the Alps lightweight cots. They pack in like a folding camp chair, weight about 10lbs a piece and are the best $50 I have ever spent.