Packing meat in trail running shoes?

maine

FNG
I’m researching which hiking boot to purchase for next season, and see that lightweight shoes such as the hoka speedboat are popular in the early season. Certainly the lighter weight shoe is one advantage, but is this feasible when trying to pack out pounds of meat?

Last edited:
Ive tried a lot of the stiff mountain boots and always had sore feet. Found these and will be buying a few more pairs. They’re more like a running shoe than a boot.

I would steer you away from the speedgoats for packing meat simply due to the high stack-height. They are a phenomenal trail running shoe, however the comparatively high stack height makes them a little more susceptible to ankle rolling, and a more dramatic ankle roll at that. Do that with 100lbs on your back, and that a quick way to get in trouble. Also that much weight on your back on uneven terrain makes you way more susceptible to rolling ankles, regardless of what shoe you’re in. I would suggest looking trail runners with lower stack heights.

180ls1

WKR
I've done it. It's not recommended but if you get it out in one trip and your hunting is done, it'll work. Multiple trips or more hunting and you'll really want boots.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve done it once. They were great for the hunt part, not great for the packing part and it was a super short pack. If I was to do it again I’d have a set of boots in my truck to change into after the first load. That said I do all my training hikes with a loaded pack in trail shoes

Reactions: 307

Htm84

WKR
I did a few months ago. Hiked in to help a friend pack out a deer. I carried all four quarters and some of his camp. Didn’t bother to weigh it but it was pretty heavy. My feet were fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

ColeyG

WKR
I would steer you away from the speedgoats for packing meat simply due to the high stack-height. They are a phenomenal trail running shoe, however the comparatively high stack height makes them a little more susceptible to ankle rolling, and a more dramatic ankle roll at that. Do that with 100lbs on your back, and that a quick way to get in trouble. Also that much weight on your back on uneven terrain makes you way more susceptible to rolling ankles, regardless of what shoe you’re in. I would suggest looking trail runners with lower stack heights.

This.

I’ve packed a fair amount of meat in Speedgoats and Speedcross trail shoes. Personally I don’t hump more than 45-50lbs in trails shoes. More than that and I really want some ankle support.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I wouldn't do it. The meat will prolly come out tasting something like a cross between a musty blanket that's been sitting under a saddle on an old horse in August, and Fritos.

Better to pack the meat in a cooler and wear the trail shoes. Going barefoot so you can maximize space in your pack or airline baggage doesn't make any sense to me.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
C4BFEABF-93B9-497F-97BD-FFFC98E77703.jpeg
You can wear whatever you want/like/already own. If you want to stay away from boots id recommed approach shoes like the TX3 or 4

AdamLewis

FNG
Can't say for sure as I did not weigh it, but I've probably packed out 60ish LB of meat wearing Altra Lone Peak trail runners. But I wear shoes like that most of the time, day in and day out.

What you definitely should not do is hike in them under a heavy load unless you wear similar shoes nearly all the time. They help your feet, ankles, knees, etc get stronger but that takes time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rus
You can do it, if you’re built that way.
I have a friend that can do it, because he’s built that way.
But since you’re asking, and starting with 100 pounds, I’m 98% confident you’re not built that way.

Im not built that way.
I need all the support I can get…mentally and physically!