Meat Processor near Jackson, Wy

Keith5579

FNG
Can someone recommend a processor for elk? I'm willing to travel an hour or two from Jackson, Wy area.

Thanks in advance.

We used The Block in Thayne last year (hour south of JH). For years we used the Jackson Hole processor that got bought out by Matt’s Customs Meats which has the shop in JH and also over the border in Idaho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Google Matt's Meats. He operates in St. Anthony, Idaho, but I think he has a shop in Jackson, too. Does good work.

Jd259

WKR
Another vote for the block in thayne they do great work but do get busy come huntin season.

Another option. My buddies got one elk butchered and packed but the other elk (because of short timing) simple got it flash frozen for transport home (and then local butcher in their hometown butchered).

Just something to think about based upon timeline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think the Block does vacuum sealing. Matts Meats does. But man he’s getting expensive. I have to say though they do a great job. I’ve had 12 elk done there.

I brought my bison to Matt's and the work quality was absolutely horrible. Hair and gristle in many of my burger packs. By far the worst experience I have had with a butcher. The shop is very dirty and smells of spoiled blood that has not been cleaned in a long time if ever.

I dropped a bull off at The Block in 2021. They did good work, we’re nice to me & easy to deal with. I didn’t have any issues.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Matt's in Jackson has always treated me well. I am in the shop a ton and am always impressed with the cleanliness. They are happy to show you around . I especially like how they reject most animals that are not cared for properly. I watched them reject 2 nice bull elk brought in from outfitters (don't get me started) that were obviously no longer fit for human consumption. That and a past friend would bring him deer that were not salvagable. Matt's wouldn't take them. I believe it speaks volumes. I use Matt's for bison, anything else we do at home. They did a great job with all 6 bison we have brought in over the years. As with most things...be nice, bring them a quality product, and def ask them to cut your tenderloins or they pack them whole. Some Spanish speaking skills go a long way too.

I brought my bison to Matt's and the work quality was absolutely horrible. Hair and gristle in many of my burger packs. By far the worst experience I have had with a butcher. The shop is very dirty and smells of spoiled blood that has not been cleaned in a long time if ever.
Interesting. Did you field dress it yourself? Or did you use an outfitter? Myself and my partners have taken boatloads of elk there for the past 12 years. It doesn’t smell any different than any other processor. As far as hair….. part of that responsibility weighs on the hunter. If you debone meat and bring it chunked there are literally thousands of little places for a hair to hide.

I’m picky about my meat. One or two hairs and I won’t use that processor again. BUT… I do my part. I don’t debone my meat. I don’t even remove the hide before packing it out of the hills. Instead, I bust my ass to take whole unskinned quarters back to base camp. Once I’m there I hang them from a tree and skin them where no grass, dirt, or anything can touch the meat. Inevitably a little bit of hair will find its way to the meat. So after that, I set it on a contractor bag on the tailgate of my truck for as long as it takes, and I pick every single solitary hair off of every quarter and every backstrap. Then I bag it. When my meat gets to the processor , it is 100% hair and dirt free still on the bone to be hung the way a processor prefers it. Not a bunch of loose meat that can’t be hung and properly cared for. If I get a hair, it came from someone else. That would piss me off. But it’s never happened. I would highly recommend Matt’s Meats to anyone. My friends who live around Jackson and Alpine use them as well.

I’ve seen some elk and deer come there in the back of outfitter trucks that I would have been embarrassed to bring to a processor.

Last edited:
It’s always nice to hear good things about a fellow processor. There is always one or two guys that have to say negative things among the many positive experiences. This tells
Me there is always more to the story that isn’t being told and we all pretty much know what that story is. A meat plant in the middle of WG season will have a distinct smell to it. WG kinda stinks and when there is many of them hanging together it just makes it so much more pungent. My wife wouldn’t come near me when I got home until I would take a shower and get clean clothes on. 🤣

Interesting. Did you field dress it yourself? Or did you use an outfitter? Myself and my partners have taken boatloads of elk there for the past 12 years. It doesn’t smell any different than any other processor. As far as hair….. part of that responsibility weighs on the hunter. If you debone meat and bring it chunked there are literally thousands of little places for a hair to hide.

I’m picky about my meat. One or two hairs and I won’t use that processor again. BUT… I do my part. I don’t debone my meat. I don’t even remove the hide before packing it out of the hills. Instead, I bust my ass to take whole unskinned quarters back to base camp. Once I’m there I hang them from a tree and skin them where no grass, dirt, or anything can touch the meat. Inevitably a little bit of hair will find its way to the meat. So after that, I set it on a contractor bag on the tailgate of my truck for as long as it takes, and I pick every single solitary hair off of every quarter and every backstrap. Then I bag it. When my meat gets to the processor , it is 100% hair and dirt free still on the bone to be hung the way a processor prefers it. Not a bunch of loose meat that can’t be hung and properly cared for. If I get a hair, it came from someone else. That would piss me off. But it’s never happened. I would highly recommend Matt’s Meats to anyone. My friends who live around Jackson and Alpine use them as well.

I’ve seen some elk and deer come there in the back of outfitter trucks that I would have been embarrassed to bring to a processor.

My bison went there freshly field dressed whole in the back of my truck. They skinned it and proceeded to ruin the meat. It’s a bummer because I was planning to give most to family and friends but it was so disgusting I would never do that. Tried to get ahold of “Matt” and someone whom I presume is his wife said he was never available the multiple times i called. I have some pictures of a particularly hair infested pack of ground I got back from them that I will try to find and post for the benefit of anyone considering dropping their animal here.

Not sure what happened there. Read the above posts from myself and others. Lots of locals go there too. You seem to be the only one who had a bad experience. Sorry for your loss. That definitely sucks.

I used Scott's Meats in Daniel Junction a couple years ago (about 75 miles south of Jackson). Seemed to do a good job. Not sure if they're still open or not

Ive taken 3 elk to Matts Meats and have zero complaints. This past year he stored my meat in his freezer (about 3 months) till a buddy was able to drive it from Jackson to Alabama for me. He also coordinated the euro mount and hung it in this store front till my meat was picked up.

DonV

FNG
Does anyone live near Jackson?

I am going to be in Jackson in 2 weeks muzzleloader hunting elk. I had a guy who held powder, caps and a sled for me but I cannot get a hold of him. I am hoping to find someone I can ship stuff to and get when we arrive. We are flying and we cannot fly with powder or caps. Please PM me if you can help!

Also Stone Drug used to carry powder does anyone know if they still do? I keep calling and no answer.