Meopta optika 5

gclubb02

FNG
Anyone have experience with the meopta optika 5 lineup? Specifically looking at the 2-10x42 for a 7 mag mainly for deer hunting in the timber of pa. Western hunts are definitely in the future but attracted to the 2-10 as the field of view of the 2x would be awesome for quick shots in close around dawn and dusk. And my max range on game will likely never exceed 500yds so 10x would be plenty adequate for that. Mainly interested to see if anyone has any zero retention issues or concerns with this scope. And if the light gathering/fov is as good as it looks on paper. Thanks!

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
As someone doing freelance work with Meopta, I can assure you that holding zero will not be an issue. I have put Optika5 and six on my .375 H&H to use for hog hunting and zero issues. An expensive way to test 2 scopes, but big fun having the .375 H&H back in the field with me. Make sure you choose the SF parallax adjustment option for your .7 MM. There is one 2-10x42 that has a fixed 100-yard parallax. I'd also consider the Z-Plus reticle so that I can dial in my drops using Strelok Pro unless you want to figure out a max point-blank range for the deer you are hunting.

I'm close to pulling the trigger one an optika5 myself. Found a good price on a 2-10x42 but it has the zplus reticle. The only thing holding me back is that I'm concerned the center dot is too fat.

Per your other thread about the GPO, as your main application is whitetail hunting, I would find something else. I have a Optika 5 3-15x44 with the Zplus reticle on my Ruger American Ranch 5.56. The center dot is fine, but the rest of the reticle is very thin and faint. Like when your printer is running out of ink. No way I would be able to see it in the big timber during those last 15 minutes of light when most of the action tends to occur. It is fine for punching paper or for hunting open fields with a light background, IMO.
Thanks for your insight. I was concerned about that as well.

I Just ordered an Optika 5 3-15 with the plex reticle. Will be an upgrade from the vortex crossfire II that’s currently on my XPR 30-06.

I’ll try to report back here or make a new thread after I spend some time with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 2-10X PA version and I love it. FoV, clarity, sharpness and light transmission are great. It’s a bit on the heavy side but it’s compact and feels very well-built, with nice positive clicks.

Incredibly good glass for the money.
84eab550-596f-4da6-b74c-9721d853b679-jpeg.484962

Attachments

• 84EAB550-596F-4DA6-B74C-9721D853B679.jpeg
    84EAB550-596F-4DA6-B74C-9721D853B679.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 368
I have the 2-10X PA version and I love it. FoV, clarity, sharpness and light transmission are great. It’s a bit on the heavy side but it’s compact and feels very well-built, with nice positive clicks.

Incredibly good glass for the money.
84eab550-596f-4da6-b74c-9721d853b679-jpeg.484962
Do you have any other scopes to compare it to? How is the depth of field on it? What reticle did you pick?

Do you have any other scopes to compare it to? How is the depth of field on it? What reticle did you pick?
A Leupold VX-Freedom (3-9X33 AO) and a couple of Zeisses (3-12X56 Victory HT ASV+, 3-12X44 V4) are the others I’ve directly compared it to under the same conditions. It’s not at the low-light performance level of my HT — no other scope really is — but it’s not quite as far away as I expected, either.

The optical performance seems roughly even with the V4, and it's fair to say that it blows away the Leupold. The adjustment feel is good and there's a zero-reset feature; I leave the caps off at the range and use it as a dialler.

1670450206484.png

Hard to say exactly how the DoF compares. It's not as shallow as some and is still very usable if you're not set to the target distance, but you can definitely tell the difference when it's at the correct range, especially close in.

I got the Z-Plex reticle, which suits a SFP hunting scope nicely in my opinion.

Last edited:
A Leupold VX-Freedom (3-9X33 AO) and a couple of Zeisses (3-12X56 Victory HT ASV+, 3-12X44 V4) are the others I’ve directly compared it to under the same conditions. It’s not at the low-light performance level of my HT — no other scope really is — but it’s not quite as far away as I expected, either.

The optical performance seems roughly even with the V4, and it's fair to say that it blows away the Leupold. The adjustment feel is good and there's a zero-reset feature; I leave the caps off at the range and use it as a dialler.

View attachment 485012

I got the Z-Plex reticle, which suits a SFP hunting scope nicely in my opinion.
This has been very helpful. Thank you very much. This scope has almost everything that I am looking for. Would you say the adjustable PA model would be good for hunting? I have a long range oriented scope that I use on my bergara currently and one of my main nitpicks other than the weight is how I have to constantly adjust parallax due to its shallow depth of field.

Glad you found it useful!

I wish all my scopes had adjustable parallax after getting used to this one. I preset it to 50 m in the woods and 100 m in more-open terrain, and I don't feel there's any disadvantage compared to fixed-parallax other than a negligible amount of extra weight. Set up like that, anything blurry at very close range is also out of focus in the fixed-parallax scopes.

The focus isn't super-snappy like some target-specific ones can be. The 42-mm objective size and lower magnification range inherently give a more-forgiving depth of field than a high-magnification scope with a larger lens diameter.

Last edited:
Glad you found it useful!

I wish all my scopes had adjustable parallax after getting used to this one. I preset it to 50 m in the woods and 100 m in more-open terrain, and I don't feel there's any disadvantage compared to fixed-parallax other than a negligible amount of extra weight. Set up like that, anything blurry at very close range is also out of focus in the fixed-parallax scopes.

The focus isn't super-snappy like some target-specific ones can be. The 42-mm objective size and lower magnification range inherently give a more-forgiving depth of field than a high-magnification scope with a larger lens diameter.
I think you have convinced me. I may end up ordering a 2-10 PA z plex model tonight!

@Fallenspirit123
About the only thing I wish it had is an illuminated reticle, but the duplex is visible enough that it’s not a must-have. It seems like the money went toward the glass quality instead of cramming every feature in, too.

The Optika6 models do get you an illuminated ret, but at a higher price and a fatter main tube. The 2.5-15x44 has more bulk and weight, while the 1-6x24 is a bit short on magnification and sacrifices a lot of light-gathering with the small objective lens.

I like the compact length and sweet-spot magnification range of the 2-10x42 for the woods. I don’t think you can beat it for the money.

@Fallenspirit123
About the only thing I wish it had is an illuminated reticle, but the duplex is visible enough that it’s not a must-have. It seems like the money went toward the glass quality instead of cramming every feature in, too.

The Optika6 models do get you an illuminated ret, but at a higher price and a fatter main tube. The 2.5-15x44 has more bulk and weight, while the 1-6x24 is a bit short on magnification and sacrifices a lot of light-gathering with the small objective lens.

I like the compact length and sweet-spot magnification range of the 2-10x42 for the woods. I don’t think you can beat it for the money.
I went and ordered the PA z-plex model along with a set of talley lightweight mounts. I wanted to minimize weight and maximize low light performance. An illuminated reticle would be nice but I can live without it. I've never owned a scope with a plain duplex so I keep second guessing myself on whether or not I should have picked that over the z-plus but I think I will be very happy once I get it. After all, it does seem to have nice turrets anyway.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering how these compare to older meopro models.
I have an optika 6 3-18x50 and a meopro 4-12x50. I like the optika 6 glass better. It just seems brighter to me. The meopro has a coating that makes it not appear as bright to me. At low light they seem about even. The meopro is fixed parallax. I love and use both.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I went and ordered the PA z-plex model along with a set of talley lightweight mounts. I wanted to minimize weight and maximize low light performance. An illuminated reticle would be nice but I can live without it. I've never owned a scope with a plain duplex so I keep second guessing myself on whether or not I should have picked that over the z-plus but I think I will be very happy once I get it. After all, it does seem to have nice turrets anyway.
Optika6 with 4k illuminated reticle is nice and clean. Simple is better( in my opinion ) for low light. All the extra stuff on the reticle can’t help low light.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Do any of you with the Z-Plus reticle have any input at how it does in low light situations? I just ordered one, and it's incredibly thin compared to the rest of my scopes. I'm thinking I'll probably return it.

Do any of you with the Z-Plus reticle have any input at how it does in low light situations? I just ordered one, and it's incredibly thin compared to the rest of my scopes. I'm thinking I'll probably return it.
I tried the z-plus first and I had the same concern as you. I swapped it for a zplex version and the plex one has much thicker lines while still having a very fine point. Overall, I think the zplex is better for thicker brush

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 Optika5 scopes, and I have had zero issues being able to see the reticle in low-light conditions while hunting. From open fields in KS to the timber in NE OK, zero complaints. I like the Z-Plus reticle so that I can use the drops. My favorite magnification configuration is the 3-15. At least 3 of my friends have this same scope. I did find the reticle on the MeoSport R to be a little difficult to see with a dark background, but it has illumination and problem solved.

MWK3800

FNG
I'm strongly considering the Optika 5 2-10 and am wondering how you guys like the tractor tire like power adjustment ring. I picked up a cheap Marlin XS7 which has a 90deg bolt lift. Does the scope interfere with the bolt handle for any of you?