Mesa Altitude for Tikka

morgaj1

WKR
I received an Altitude stock from Mesa for my Tikka T3x, with the factory 300WM stainless barrel. I mounted it and the stock contacts the barrel. I love the stock, but it is frustrating that I waited months for it and will likely have to send it back. If it was fiberglass, I would sand it. But, as I understand it, carbon fiber needs to be sealed after sanding. Anybody else have this problem? I will contact Mesa tomorrow and see how they want to handle it.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I own the same stock.

My bolt contacted the comb at full open. My gunsmith spoke to the manufacturer (AG composites?) who said you can sand it a bit as long as you seal it with paint, like you said.

Depending on the amount of contact, I’d probably send it back to have the barrel channel redone. I’ve dealt with Mesa twice now, and unfortunately both times have been at least double the estimated wait time and their customer service is severely lacking.

since it’s a factory barrel channel, maybe you can talk them into just swapping you for a new one?

OP
morgaj1

morgaj1

WKR
I own the same stock.

My bolt contacted the comb at full open. My gunsmith spoke to the manufacturer (AG composites?) who said you can sand it a bit as long as you seal it with paint, like you said.

Depending on the amount of contact, I’d probably send it back to have the barrel channel redone. I’ve dealt with Mesa twice now, and unfortunately both times have been at least double the estimated wait time and their customer service is severely lacking.

since it’s a factory barrel channel, maybe you can talk them into just swapping you for a new one?
Good info, thank you. I am hoping that they get this turned around quickly. I would like to get it set up and practice over the next couple of months to be ready for Fall hunting.

I received a stock from them with a chip in the comb right out of the box. The recoil lug had come loose in shipping and beat the stock up a bit. The wait was long enough that I just dealt with it. It’ll probably get more imperfections on its first hunt anyway but I won’t be buying another. All these small time gun parts makers have been disappointing a lot of people. Mesa, axial, carbon6… probably just gonna stick with the big players from now on.