Mesa Precision Altitude Tikka Stock Group Buy

My Mesa stock did have the lug inlet set a touch back in relation to the pillars. No big thing to reset it when you bed. I’m happy with it as well as the two Wildcats I have (had to bed those as well).

I went out recently to shoot my set up (T3x on Altitude stock). It shoots well, however I have noticed some significant elevation stringing that I believe is due to the barrel heating up. Impacts keep sinking after about 5 rounds within 10 minutes and if I let it cool impacts return up to normal. Has anyone experienced similar?

Full disclosure: this T3x has been rebored from 7mm rem mag to 338 win mag so the barrel thickness is definitely not what it used to be.

It's also possible that I've completely misread the installation procedure. It has been my impression that it is a simple unscrew-replace-rescrew procedure without any need for bedding. If that is correct, could the issue still be resolved by glass bedding it?

This is not a huge problem as this is primarily a hunting rifle and the important shots will be with a cold bore. Still, load workup at the range is being a PITA because of this.

Jakeweb09

WKR
I went out recently to shoot my set up (T3x on Altitude stock). It shoots well, however I have noticed some significant elevation stringing that I believe is due to the barrel heating up. Impacts keep sinking after about 5 rounds within 10 minutes and if I let it cool impacts return up to normal. Has anyone experienced similar?

Full disclosure: this T3x has been rebored from 7mm rem mag to 338 win mag so the barrel thickness is definitely not what it used to be.

It's also possible that I've completely misread the installation procedure. It has been my impression that it is a simple unscrew-replace-rescrew procedure without any need for bedding. If that is correct, could the issue still be resolved by glass bedding it?

This is not a huge problem as this is primarily a hunting rifle and the important shots will be with a cold bore. Still, load workup at the range is being a PITA because of this.

Sounds like a barrel issue more then the stock. But that being said, bedding is never a bad idea. I have a rem 700 model that is mounted on a custom built Stiller action and bedded it

Ram94

WKR
This is what I'm not understanding. Mesa advertises 1.5lbs (24oz).

I got 31.7oz including recoil lug on my factory sporter Tikka inlet. 2oz heavier than the factory stock. I’m not sure what a recoil lug weighs.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have one and should just order another. My other AG has the action sitting .150 high in the front. Gives plenty of barrel float. Thinking it works but is ugly......

madcalfe-sell me yours ....

My AG sat around 1/4“ high, inlet was too shallow. Cause rounds to feed too nose up causing jams.

khuber84

WKR
have you weighed one ?
My rem 700 long action with carbon non folding stock is 28oz, my Tikka with folding carbon butt is 32oz. My only dislike about these chassis: they lack the rigidity of a heavier aluminum chassis, or a carbon composite stock. I took my 6.5 max out of the element 3.0 magnesium and installed it into one my Mesa stocks and feel I build a more stable shooting posture. I do love the folding ergos of the chassis, and ordered a full length aluminum arca rail to attempt to stiffen the forend and eliminate flex. The problem with this solution costs me 9oz if it fixes the problem.

Last edited:
I have a Altitude and just got back from hunting on Montana with it. Does still need a stock pack which I was disappointed about but it performed wonderfully from -6 to 60 degrees. Even stretched out to 790 yards for some target shooting and it proved stable yet light of my pack.

I loved mine in Montana this fall. Light, solid and shootable. The only thing I would say it needs is a adjustable cheek piece. They have one for their custom rifles, but said it would be available for the tikkas when I asked.

khuber84

WKR
What was the verdict on these? GTG? Or some QC issues here and there?
I have 2 of em. They're good, not great. But is there a perfect stock? Idk. Manners eh1 is about as close as it gets........but 9mo wait? I'll take a jcs composites in a 4 week lead time. Same weight and price. Here's a couple of the jcs stocks. Ones a Tikka, other rem 700. I installed the manners adj. carbon cheek piece in them.

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_123255.jpg
    IMG_20201130_123255.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 100

Jakeweb09

WKR
Are they still making stocks? Appears their page is down and their Instagram hasn’t posted since February

wyosam

WKR
Better be, I just bought one a couple weeks ago. Spoke to a guy on the phone since my order couldn’t be done with the available drop boxes. I think they told me 4-6 weeks, which really surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
Are they still making stocks? Appears their page is down and their Instagram hasn’t posted since February
Yes they are. You actually order the stock through the manufacturer, not jcs. Jcs never made them I found out. You can contact Brent @ Western Precision Rifles in Arizona.

5RWill

FNG
What ring height is everyone running? Trying to figure out if i need lows or mediums on the tikka build with the LHT 4.5-22x50