Metal Sheeting Roof Anchor Options

dlee56

WKR
I just bought my first house and I want to get up on the roof and work on some penetrations that need re-sealed and tinker on the swamp cooler, but it’s a steep metal sheeting roof and I want to tie in with fall protection. I’m not sure how or where to anchor in, I’d like to put in a permanent anchor but the metal sheeting makes it interesting. Anyone have any recommendations for an approach?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use a ladder and rope it over the other side of the house. That way I can just move it over as I go. I do t tie in though, I probably should.

Toss a rope over the peak and tie it off to something on the other side. A vehicle or anything fairly heavy will work if there's nothing else convenient.

Wiping the roof with alcohol and a rag around the area you'll be working will help your shoes grip better.

Rich M

WKR
I have a metal roof and throw a rope over, tie to tree or solid 4x4 fence post. Will bring pressure washer up every year or two and clean the algae/mold/whatever off. Slippery stuff if you step on wet mold - the rope saved me at least once.

Second the alcohol comment - use it on whatever you are sealing and fastening as well.

The metal roof is good, gonna last a long time.

I've installed quite a few anchor points over the years. I think they're easier to install on metal.

But for occasional use, I have 100' of climbing rope I use to anchor to a vehicle or such on the other side, on the ground.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
I've installed quite a few anchor points over the years. I think they're easier to install on metal.

But for occasional use, I have 100' of climbing rope I use to anchor to a vehicle or such on the other side, on the ground.
What kind of anchor do you like for metal roofs? And how do you like to install it?

WBrim

WKR
I use this style for work from time to time. I would think with some roofing screws, maybe a little rubber pad to place under, it would work?
Probably better options, but these are easy.
B7565BA3-E3A5-46F0-9561-5B0C539F0833.jpeg

What kind of anchor do you like for metal roofs? And how do you like to install it?

There's a number of companies that make some variation of this. Pop the ridge cap off and screw down. Permanent anchor in each side. Ideally put one every 10-14'

I've definitely used plenty of temporary anchors, but if I'm installing an anchor on a building I own, I'll make it permenant.

ODB

WKR
I use this style for work from time to time. I would think with some roofing screws, maybe a little rubber pad to place under, it would work?
Probably better options, but these are easy.
View attachment 560228
The guardian Temper Anchor is another ones like this. Check the metal thickness requirements though. If you are talking a standing seam roof that’s a whole different beast.

Skateboard shoes like Vans with flat tread and soft rubber sole will help grip better on metal roof. You can always rent a Genie TZ 50 for a half day to lift up and set anchors and line.

Skateboard shoes like Vans with flat tread and soft rubber sole will help grip better on metal roof. You can always rent a Genie TZ 50 for a half day to lift up and set anchors and line.

My chimney installer used a cheap yoga mat on the area he was working for a non-slip surface.

If it's a standing seam roof you can get one of the clamp on systems like what wnelson above mentioned. I believe they work like the clamps used to install solar panels but Ive never used them. I usually do what was mentioned above and just toss a long roofing rope over and tie to something on the other side of the house

Lots of good options mentioned above that I’ve used on job-site roofs. As a safety professional I’m just really glad that you’re looking into a proper tie off point prior to getting on the roof. The number of people permanently disabled or killed at their own homes doing this type of thing is surprisingly high. Sounds like you may have to get creative with your approach, especially if you want to install a permanent anchor. You can always call your local safety supply depot and talk to one of the customer reps. They can recommend some options or refer you to the product rep who can ensure you use the proper application procedures and ensure you don’t cause leaks or install it incorrectly.

use an under cap style like displacedtexan posted, with metal roofing you want to minimize holes and anything that can scratch the paint. soft rubber soles like mentioned make a big difference also. I'm gonna throw a tip at you that will sound crazy, hose down the roof before you go on it. you will stick to a wet roof better than a dry one most of the time. use good judgement, early morning dew can be slippery, a dry roof with dust may as well be ice. also, I've had to snatch up a few guys with their yoga mats going for a sleigh ride so be careful if you do that.