Mid layer option: Kiln + Sawtooth vest or Sawtooth jacket

K_pem

WKR
Given the option between these two combos what would you think? My thought is that it’s unlikely I’ll ever wear both the kiln and the sawtooth at the same time. So by having the kiln and the vest I essentially have a sawtooth. However that would be doubling up merino on the back and losing some in the arms.... on the flip side I don’t know how much I’d wear the sawtooth vest alone without the kiln under it...

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Given the option between these two combos what would you think? My thought is that it’s unlikely I’ll ever wear both the kiln and the sawtooth at the same time. So by having the kiln and the vest I essentially have a sawtooth. However that would be doubling up merino on the back and losing some in the arms.... on the flip side I don’t know how much I’d wear the sawtooth vest alone without the kiln under it...

I think the sawtooth as a stand alone piece is pretty versatile, and I would personally like having it all in one vs pieces together. That said, if you want more flexibility to use the pieces earlier in the year, your kiln + vest idea would provide that.

The other thing I would consider about the sawtooth jacket are the nylon arm panels on the top - those are nice in a light rain, make it a tougher piece, and make it kind of like a softshell to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
I suppose that’s a good point about the sawtooth. I’m just not sure I’ll find a need for both the kiln and the sawtooth. The other question is would I rather have something like the Kenai from Kuiu if I want a warmer mid layer/outer layer

I have both and will wear both - I would definitely recommend the sawtooth jacket - its my favorite FL piece. I have the kiln 1/4 zip to go with it.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
You wear both together? Did you find that you needed to size up on your sawtooth? The M I had from last year was too small but all my other FL tops in M fit fine. Not sure if I should go L in sawtooth

mcseal2

WKR
I wear a Sawtooth a lot over a long or short sleeve Aerowool base layer. The Sawtooth is good for a 2nd layer in pretty cold conditions for me, or an outer layer in cool conditions. If I need to be wearing more than the Aerowool base layer hiking, the Sawtooth is pretty much my next step. It doesn't replace a puffy jacket or vest for me if it's very cold though. I take a FL Ucompaghre vest, Kenai hooded jacket, or Kifaru LPP with it most of the time which depending on conditions. I rifle hunt and seasons are usually later and colder.

The sawtooth works well for me under a Sitka Mountain Vest or Jacket also when I want more wind protection. When I stop for a while I add the puffy I have between the Sawtooth and Sitka layer.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
I wear a Sawtooth a lot over a long or short sleeve Aerowool base layer. The Sawtooth is good for a 2nd layer in pretty cold conditions for me, or an outer layer in cool conditions. If I need to be wearing more than the Aerowool base layer hiking, the Sawtooth is pretty much my next step. It doesn't replace a puffy jacket or vest for me if it's very cold though. I take a FL Ucompaghre vest, Kenai hooded jacket, or Kifaru LPP with it most of the time which depending on conditions. I rifle hunt and seasons are usually later and colder.

The sawtooth works well for me under a Sitka Mountain Vest or Jacket also when I want more wind protection. When I stop for a while I add the puffy I have between the Sawtooth and Sitka layer.

Thats funny because i ran my sawtooth all last year over a short sleeve aerowool base layer with a jetstream vest over it. This year i have a mountain vest for early season. Im thinking i can do a combo of either sawtooth or kiln depending on forecast, over a aerowool base layer. Plus i would pretty much always have a puffy also. Uncomp or cirrus.

I just wasnt sure ill ever wear my sawtooth over the kiln. I can see maybe late season using the kiln as my next to skin layer and the sawtooth over it.

mcseal2

WKR
I don't personally think I'd use both the Sawtooth and Kiln at the same time. I have a Chama and I don't seem to ever wear the Sawtooth over it. I only need so many hoods and only want to slide so many merino based layers over top of one another. I really don't use the Chama as much as I thought I would, if I want less than the Sawtooth I generally go with a Sitka Core LW hoody. I ordered a Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody the other day to try for Alaska this September, I think I might want something that dries quicker than the Sawtooth up there. I'm thinking Aerowool and then synthetic as I get further out on that hunt. I'm sure I'll heat up plenty and have some condensation build up wearing waders and want something that dries fast.