Military ECWCS Gen III

tlkaetz

WKR
Is anyone using these (Level 1 & Level 2) for base layers for hunting?

OP
tlkaetz

tlkaetz

WKR
I am mainly asking because my brother in law is getting into hunting and doesn't have a huge budget starting out. I was looking at getting him some of the surplus level 1 & 2 stuff.

I use all Sitka and First Lite, but can get this stuff for him for a fraction of the cost

*zap*

WKR
I use the serki pcu level 1 that has 3% silver fiber in the material. T shirt, 1/4 zip long sleeve top, boxers and long bottoms. They are just as good a lightweight merino for next to the skin wicking. Especially if you wear all 4 pieces. No smell after wearing for a few days.
The level 2 grid fleece stuff is OK but Kenyon makes a heavier fleece that insulates much better plus they make a zip off heavy fleece pant that has nylon reinforcing on the knees and butt that is very warm. Both serki and Kenyon is Made in the USA.

The real nice zip off Kenyon pant is called the supplex fleece military pant.

I would agree that the military fleece liner jackets are real nice.....great interior pockets and warm, especially when worn under a gortex shell.

Last edited:

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Never used the Kenyon brand but I know polartec is good stuff from multiple pieces I own and use almost regularly, also any of the thicker polypropylene is good stuff, the shirts seam to shrink on me but the pants stay true to size , dries quick and decent at blocking wind , good insulation , get most of my thermal base layers in either , aside from a few merino products that I feel I have to baby because of price tags ,

Rmauch20

WKR
@*zap* Do you think those Kenyon fleece pants Would work for extra warmth while glassing? After looking at the thinking picking up a pair instead of a pair of puffy pants.

kurtis12

FNG
I use the generation before (polypros) because you can get the tops in different weights.