Military retirement (self)gift caribou hunt

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Just passed 20 years in the Navy, but have to do 23 because of a 10 year OBLISERV from when I commissioned. So for my 2026 retirement gift to myself, my wife and I want to go to Alaska together for a caribou hunt, which is why I’m starting to plan now. She might hunt, but not a guarantee at this point. I’m perfectly fine with DIY, but not opposed to semi-guided/guided if it’s within budget.

We just want the best success rate possible while being able to live the full “Alaskan tundra experience”. My only real frame of reference is the GoHunt film “Nothing But Daylight”, and that’s exactly what we’re looking for! Plan to bow hunt, but also plan to bring a rifle, just like in that film.

Don’t at all mind doing the research and planning on my own, but would love to discuss with some seasoned vets that can share some awesome stories and advice! Thanks in advance! Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Couple good threads I recall on Caribou from Slugz and Mcseal2. Probably more good ones too. I’d search for each and read them.

Thanks Tmac! I’ll be honest, I haven’t done any research into it and I’m sure there’s a bunch of threads, but she just brought it up out of the blue and I was super excited!

Love the community we have here!

Tmac

WKR
I’d read these and what ever other threads you find and then ask specific questions. A couple guys may agree to a visit if you ask, but probably not necessary. I took a diy AK trip for caribou about 15 years ago, just booked a transporter and went. So much more info at fingertips today, and better gear. Prepare for cold, very wet, miserable weather and hope it’s nice. All my gear I hunted deer/elk with worked just fine. Meat care in the damp conditions was our biggest challenge. Good luck.

AKBorn

WKR
I’d read these and what ever other threads you find and then ask specific questions. A couple guys may agree to a visit if you ask, but probably not necessary. I took a diy AK trip for caribou about 15 years ago, just booked a transporter and went. So much more info at fingertips today, and better gear. Prepare for cold, very wet, miserable weather and hope it’s nice. All my gear I hunted deer/elk with worked just fine. Meat care in the damp conditions was our biggest challenge. Good luck.
Want to add a note to Tmac's post...his description of AK DIY caribou hunting is spot on for how things were 15 years ago...the herds are drastically different today, and most caribou herds are showing lower numbers and some hunts are currently closed to non-residents as a result. It's very difficult these days to just book a transporter and go, as the reduced herd numbers and unit closures to non-residents have most of the non-resident hunters going to a few areas of the state. As a result, many transporters are booked up a couple of years out.

If I were planning a hunt in 2026, my first steps would be to read the threads on here that discuss current caribou herd numbers, and thoroughly read the current year Alaska Hunting Regulations to get a feel for the units that are currently open. Read the post-hunt threads that will be posted here about this year's hunts, and start to get a feel for the "new normal" in AK non-res caribou hunting.

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm in any way, just want you to be aware that the AK caribou landscape is drastically different today than it used to be. Good luck and happy planning!

Michael (AKBorn)

VernAK

WKR
Want to add a note to Tmac's post...his description of AK DIY caribou hunting is spot on for how things were 15 years ago...the herds are drastically different today, and most caribou herds are showing lower numbers and some hunts are currently closed to non-residents as a result. It's very difficult these days to just book a transporter and go, as the reduced herd numbers and unit closures to non-residents have most of the non-resident hunters going to a few areas of the state. As a result, many transporters are booked up a couple of years out.

If I were planning a hunt in 2026, my first steps would be to read the threads on here that discuss current caribou herd numbers, and thoroughly read the current year Alaska Hunting Regulations to get a feel for the units that are currently open. Read the post-hunt threads that will be posted here about this year's hunts, and start to get a feel for the "new normal" in AK non-res caribou hunting.

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm in any way, just want you to be aware that the AK caribou landscape is drastically different today than it used to be. Good luck and happy planning!

Michael (AKBorn)
AKBorn is on target with his comment. Herd dynamics are changing rapidly all across North America. I would hesitate to commit a lot of funds for a hunt in future years.

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Some great points guys. I wasn’t aware of the current caribou state, so thinking this is something I’ll have to do a little (lot) more contemplating about where we go and what we chase after. Thanks for all the info!

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a few conversations on here where people said it’s very doable for ~$4k, but that was more of a fishing/road trip and not specifically a hunting trip.

Mojave

WKR
You could hunt caribou/reindeer in Greenland for $5000-8000 per person. It won't be much price difference between Greenland and Alaska. If you did it in July you could also hunt muskox. Not sure if you can bowhunt Greenland or not.

Key is not to book with an American agent. There is a $3000-6000 American tax that the American booking agents are adding.

Just passed 20 years in the Navy, but have to do 23 because of a 10 year OBLISERV from when I commissioned. So for my 2026 retirement gift to myself, my wife and I want to go to Alaska together for a caribou hunt, which is why I’m starting to plan now. She might hunt, but not a guarantee at this point. I’m perfectly fine with DIY, but not opposed to semi-guided/guided if it’s within budget.

We just want the best success rate possible while being able to live the full “Alaskan tundra experience”. My only real frame of reference is the GoHunt film “Nothing But Daylight”, and that’s exactly what we’re looking for! Plan to bow hunt, but also plan to bring a rifle, just like in that film.

Don’t at all mind doing the research and planning on my own, but would love to discuss with some seasoned vets that can share some awesome stories and advice! Thanks in advance! Tim

Just FYI - I work with a navy buddy that thot he too had to do the 10 years OBLISERV but he checked with someone and that wasn’t true (or depends on who processes retirement) but he’s retiring now with 20 total and not the 10 as officer from when he commissioned.

So if you don’t want to hang around - keep checking and asking because my navy buddy here got out of that

Isn't Alaska about $10K for a caribou hunt? That's what I came up with when I did the numbers and said, nope, not gonna do it.

Alaska is an expensive place.
Agreed. I'm going in 2025, Drop camp style. When I add everything up: airfare, outfitter, tags and licenses, tipping, new gear that I'll need for AK, hotel in Fairbanks before/after the hunt, and costs for shipping meat/horns back, I'll be right around $10k.

Not including the new gear, I'd be right around $7,500. But, I really didn't have anything I needed for this type of hunt, so getting the gear isn't cheap, especially when you're needing to get the more expensive, "lightweight" stuff so that I can stay within the 60# weight limit (rifle included) for the plane. I'll also note that I'm trying to buy a lot of gently used gear, but quality, so that I can save some $$$ and have it for future trips. And, I'm only buying NEW gear when it's on sale. All that said, It's still looking around $2,500.

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Just FYI - I work with a navy buddy that thot he too had to do the 10 years OBLISERV but he checked with someone and that wasn’t true (or depends on who processes retirement) but he’s retiring now with 20 total and not the 10 as officer from when he commissioned.

So if you don’t want to hang around - keep checking and asking because my navy buddy here got out of that

It depends on your commissioning program. There’s others that don’t have the full 10.

Ok gotcha. Yea buddy was depressed he thot he had to stick it out a few more years - then we triple checked and found out not the case (at least, as you mentioned, in his case).

Good luck. More years = more retirement pay

Rich M

WKR
Agreed. I'm going in 2025, Drop camp style. When I add everything up: airfare, outfitter, tags and licenses, tipping, new gear that I'll need for AK, hotel in Fairbanks before/after the hunt, and costs for shipping meat/horns back, I'll be right around $10k.

Not including the new gear, I'd be right around $7,500. But, I really didn't have anything I needed for this type of hunt, so getting the gear isn't cheap, especially when you're needing to get the more expensive, "lightweight" stuff so that I can stay within the 60# weight limit (rifle included) for the plane. I'll also note that I'm trying to buy a lot of gently used gear, but quality, so that I can save some $$$ and have it for future trips. And, I'm only buying NEW gear when it's on sale. All that said, It's still looking around $2,500.
I did similar to get "out west" stuff in 2017. Set a $10K budget for gear and 4 trips - have gear, gonna get 3 trips and go over budget due to going guided this year, did DIY the last 2 trips.

Hope you can make it all work the way you hope. Keep your eyes open and buy when the stuff is available. AK caribou is a dream hunt, enjoy every minute of it.