Questions about DIY hunt

Tm33

FNG
So I have a lot of questions about a DIY caribou hunt in AK. I always loved Alaska and I wanted to try and get a caribou at some point in my life. I have a good bit of time to plan and I was wondering how difficult it is, what do I need to prepare for physically and mentally and what is the easiest way to get a decent caribou. I will also most likely have a friend with me. This might sound dumb but I would love to do it with my 30-30, it’s just a light, great shooting rifle and fits me perfectly (and I mean perfect). If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

We just booked a hunt on the north slope, will be my first trip to Alaska. There is a ton of info on here if you just go back and read forums. From what I have read if you think you are in shape get in better shape and walking on tundra seems to be a nightmare. Got 2-1/2 years to dial it all in but cant wait to get there. We are book with arrowhead outfitters fly in DIY

VernAK

WKR
Stay in this chat room and search old threads as there's a ton of information on this site.

Be aware that caribou herds across North America are suffering huge losses and I don't see an end to the decline.

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to go…then GO! Don’t wait! Time slips by, things change, and then your opportunity is missed. When I was a young man caribou were over abundant and tags were given two at a time. Start walking, climbing hills if you have them or stadium stairs if you don’t! Add a pack with weight in it when what you’re doing seems easy. Then the very first season that your able go. Don’t let another year slip by!!!

I would recommend a different caliber simply for more range. We’ve harvested caribou at 25yds and at 670yds. Caribou are where they are when they are there. They move fast and don’t stop.

Karlburns

FNG
This caribou got shot with a 30-30 from about 50 feet away. The 30-30 was one of two rifles carried up a steep hill after crossing two valleys following this one and the bigger one I took with the other rifle. This was in 2020.IMG_2413.jpeg

Karlburns

FNG
This caribou got shot with a 6.5 Creedmoor from 450 yards. There was no more cover and a deep ravine between us that limited closing anymore ground. That would not have been a makeable or ethical shot with my 30-30. This one is from this past fall 2023.

Attachments

• IMG_8183.jpeg
    IMG_8183.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 27

Karlburns

FNG
It’s not just non residents if it makes you all feel better. The heavy snow the past few years plus the over harvesting a few years ago decimated one of the herds. Not the one up north most non residents go after though.

Last edited:

nick2021

FNG
Wait til you get to walk the tundra….that is something….NOBODY forgets! Lol