Missing Rifle Scope Features?

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
What do you want in a rifle scope that you either don't have now or aren't seeing on the market?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Here’s the recipe-

1). Mid power 3 or 4x in the low end, 12-16x on the high end.

2). 30mm, 42-45mm objective.

3). sub 24oz weight

4. Specifically designed and built to stay zeroed through impacts and drops.

5). Locking or zero stopped low pro elevation turret, capped windage designed and built for consistent and repeatable use

6). Front focal plane, Mil/Mil with a reticle that is specially designed for low and high power visibility. Cut to the chase and use the THLR reticle from @THLR

7. Large, forgiving eyebox, large FOV if possible.

Then take that scope and actually test them versus the “tests” that everyone does, before placing on the market

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
A Light (less than 30oz, the lighter the better) but strong scope with reliable zero retention. A reticle that provides accurate wind holds. Accurate click values with minimal to no error. A reticle that tracks true to the picture of the reticle (tracts verticals, reticle is vertical) Low profile turrets that lock/ have zero stop. The windage turret can be capped. A low power in the 3-5x range and a high power in the 15-25x range is sufficient for hunting. A large objective is nice if you can keep it light and durable. Due to the high magnification, I wouldn’t go smaller than 44mm.

BBob

WKR
Copy with one mod:

Here’s the recipe-

1). Mid power 3 or 4x in the low end, 12-16x 18-20x on the high end. :)

3). sub 24oz weight

5). Locking or zero stopped low pro elevation turret, capped windage designed and built for consistent and repeatable use

6). Front focal plane, Mil/Mil with a reticle that is specially designed for low and high power visibility. Cut to the chase and use the THLR reticle from @THLR

Then take that scope and actually test them versus the “tests” that everyone does, before placing on the market

woods89

WKR
Here’s the recipe-

3). sub 24oz weight

As long as they aren't exorbitantly expensive, I'd buy one, maybe two.

@JW@TRACT if it's not Nightforce/SWFA reliable don't even try. I've picked up one of each this past year and the lack of drama is awesome. Proper tracking and zero retention will trump any other features from here forward.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Copy with one mod:

Here’s the recipe-

1). Mid power 3 or 4x in the low end, 12-16x 18-20x on the high end. :)

Not trying to be rude- but this is where it will get messed up. Once you get to 5x and especially 6x erectors complexity, weight, and fragility all go up, and usability goes down. There’s absolutely no need for a 3-18x. That 3x does not grant any functional value over a 4x in this example, nor does the 18x over 15 or 16x.

What I wrote is NOT a dedicated LR scope? It is a crossover scope and there is not a single scope on the market that does it right.

Sandstrom

WKR
Here’s the recipe-

3). sub 24oz weight

Yes please!! Where do I send my money???
Ryan

My biggest gripe about most newer “tactical” scopes is the short mounting tube length. Makes it near impossible to put them on a long action without a pic rail and rings. Take a 3-12 LRHS/LRTS and find a way to get it close to 20 oz without sacrificing reliability. Don’t know if it could be done but I’d buy a handful of it could.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
I would like my adjustable tactical turrets to be able to be locked in place so they don’t roll/change from their setting due to carrying rifle on your back or other handling the rifle. Make it in a way that allows to still adjust when needed quickly and simply.

Here’s the recipe-

3). sub 24oz weight

This is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the recipe-

3). sub 24oz weight

This but in a SFP in MOA for me.

260madman

WKR
I agree with Form on the min and max. Too many people get wrapped up on the low end being a 2x because they might need to shoot “in the thick stuff up close”. I have a 2-7 Monarch and always us it at 4x “in the thick stuff up close”. My 6x SWFAs I use in the same overgrown dense woods with no issues. A lot of compromises with the higher ratio erectors.

I want to see THLR‘s reticle. I hope it’s bolder than most. We don’t need .2mil marks for 8mils across the center if we‘re using a tree reticle.

sfp, moa, clean and easy reticle, easy and functional zero stop, capped windage. 5-25x
sub 24 oz and glass that isn't junk.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

flywilks

FNG
Here’s the recipe-

3). sub 24oz weight

Agree, although would prefer SFP and sub 20oz

Also would like a simple, durable, reliable, low profile, ultralight ~12-14oz, 3-4x --- 10-12x scope, good mil or moa reticle for holdover for out to 300-400yds

Also copying with modification:

1). 3 -12x

2). 30-42mm obj

3). sub 20oz weight... 16-18 possible?

Add MOA subtend reticle

8. $600-$900 price tag

Then take that scope and actually test them versus the “tests” that everyone does, before placing on the market. YES