Mississippi pot roast = damn!

This recipe came up in another thread but I want to give it some love. delicious. Easy to make. Super simple.

- 3# of meat
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 pack ranch dressing mix
- 1 pack au jus or French onion soup mix
- 8 pepeproncini

8 hours in the crock pot on low. Shred, serve and enjoy.

I didn’t brown my roast. I went with about 5# of deer and plused up the recipe accordingly. It is super easy. 5 ingredients and takes almost no effort. I ate it over rice but any starch would do. it would make great open face sandwiches Or poboy filling. Super easy way to make flavorful roast beef type meal without fussing with a bunch of vegetables.

Michael54

WKR
I tried the one on the hidden valley website. It was good but not phenominal. I think it had too many ingredients tbh

OP
Desk Jockey
I tried the one on the hidden valley website. It was good but not phenominal. I think it had too many ingredients tbh
Blasphemy!

just kidding. I have other roast recipes that I like but none that are as easy. My favorite roast beef recipe is two dozen ingredients and involves purée ing veggies and a bunch of other stuff. In terms of effort for taste, this stuff is pretty good.

Stalker69

WKR
Pleas
Blasphemy!

just kidding. I have other roast recipes that I like but none that are as easy. My favorite roast beef recipe is two dozen ingredients and involves purée ing veggies and a bunch of other stuff. In terms of effort for taste, this stuff is pretty good.
Please share the 2 doz. ingredients, recipe.

LostArra

WKR
This recipe came up in another thread but I want to give it some love. delicious. Easy to make. Super simple.

- 3# of meat
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 pack ranch dressing mix
- 1 pack au jus or French onion soup mix
- 8 pepeproncini

8 hours in the crock pot on low. Shred, serve and enjoy.

I didn’t brown my roast. I went with about 5# of deer and plused up the recipe accordingly. It is super easy. 5 ingredients and takes almost no effort. I ate it over rice but any starch would do. it would make great open face sandwiches Or poboy filling. Super easy way to make flavorful roast beef type meal without fussing with a bunch of vegetables.

Thanks for posting this. I made this using another recipe that called for including some broth and some of the liquid from the peppers. The meat flavor was good but the texture was not. I'm going to try it one more time using your linked recipe. I'm not usually a big crockpot/instantpot fan except for chili and ham/bean soups but I can't argue the convenience. I prefer a Dutch oven for braising or low and slow cooking.

OP
Desk Jockey
OP
Desk Jockey
I had some left overs on toasted French bread as a roast beef poboy tonight. It was awesome.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
The Mississippi Roast is an excellent deer camp crock pot. My recipe ....

4-5 lbs chuck roast well marbled
sliced onions on the bottom of the pot
Au Jus packet - sprinkle 3/4 of it on the bottom
Pepperoncino's (sliced) - take 2/3 of them from the jar and spread over bottom of the pot
Ranch dressing mix - mix the packet with 2/3 cup of mayonnaise & 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider
vinegar, spread about 2/3 of this on bottom of the pot.
Brown roast and put in pot
Cover top of roast with rest of ranch dressing, more pepperoncino's, last 1/4 of Au Jus and add 1 stick of butter
Pour some of the pepperoncino juice around side of roast.

The vinegar and pepperoncino juice add a nice bite (not hot) to the meat like hot Italian beef.

Cook on in crock pot for 7 hours. Take meat out and shred and add back in juice and any onions & pepperoncino's left from the pot. Save the rest of the juice for dipping sandwiches in. You can store in a zip lock and freeze's very well.

This is great on steak rolls with provolone or sautéed onions & pepper, and makes great meat for street tacos.

Last edited:
OP
Desk Jockey
Making a second batch today. Trying onion soup mix instead of aus jus. The vinegar was a good add and I tossed in some dry chili’s for heat. I really like the flavor. Doing it with a beef roast Instead of game meat. Less need for butter. I would have also trimmed out some of the fat too. I just shredded the meat for last couple of hours of cooking and the big chunks of fat are visible.

b_young

FNG
Anyone ever tried this on a pellet smoker before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
Batch #2 was great. Way too rich. I had to cool it down and skim out a bunch of fat. Butter is definitely a good add for lean game meat but I will hold off next time I use beef with its own fat. Onion soup is definitely a good add. I will try adding onions to the next batch.

looking forward to those roast beef sandwiches. Get some French bread or a baguette. Split French bread in half crosswise then open up lengthwise. Place bun bottoms on baking sheet. Spread with half of mayonnaise. Divide beef and gravy evenly between bun bottoms. Place tops on sandwiches and toast in oven at 375 until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven, open tops, and place pickles, tomato, and lettuce on top of beef.

Batch #2 was great. Way too rich. I had to cool it down and skim out a bunch of fat. Butter is definitely a good add for lean game meat but I will hold off next time I use beef with its own fat. Onion soup is definitely a good add. I will try adding onions to the next batch.

looking forward to those roast beef sandwiches. Get some French bread or a baguette. Split French bread in half crosswise then open up lengthwise. Place bun bottoms on baking sheet. Spread with half of mayonnaise. Divide beef and gravy evenly between bun bottoms. Place tops on sandwiches and toast in oven at 375 until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven, open tops, and place pickles, tomato, and lettuce on top of beef.
Gonna do the same thing tonight. Thinking of some swiss or smoked gouda to finish.

Made a batch last night also! Was excellent and barely had any leftovers. Hopefully enough left for a sandwich when I get home tonight.
Used the instantpot and it was very easy. I did brown it before adding all the other ingredients and really liked it that way.

OP
Desk Jockey
Batch #3 was 4# of chicken thighs. Used onion soup mix and some Sazon seasoning along with ranch packs. No butter. Delicious and so easy. Just dropped it all in on high for 2 hours. Stirred. 2 more hours on low. Shredded the chicken and gave it another hour to simmer.

elkyinzer

WKR
Anyone ever tried this on a pellet smoker before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do kinda with chuck roast and deer shoulder. Smoke at ~200 and with the smoke tube for an hour or two for the smoke flavor, then braise it until it breaks down. Same technique but I think ranch is disgusting so I haven't tried this spin on it.