Missouri public land

Jsdavis6

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys not wanting any secrets, just a direction on some public land in Missouri. Also can you use e-bike now in Missouri?
Thanks for any info.

There are state conservation areas, Mark Twain National Forest, and Corp of Engineer land around several lakes. Virtually all of it holds deer and vast majority is hunt-able without any special permits. The main notable exception for hunting on public land is “Missouri State Parks”, which most don’t allow hunting even though some are pretty huge. If you’re hunting a conservation area, check that area’s website for specifics on weapons allowed and season/harvest restrictions.

North of the Missouri River is considered generally better area for big deer, but there are big deer all over the state in almost all counties except the far Southeast.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Tried to hunt Mark Twain once when my dad lived on Table Rock Lake. Found deer but also found a lot of strange people in the woods and stumbled into 2 grow plots as well as what I assume were 3 guys cooking meth. i contacted the Barry county sheriff about all 3 instances his response was yeah it's pretty endemic and we can't keep ahead of it. They have deer depending a lot on the acorn crop. To me it wasn't worth the risk the Ozarks are a different world the deer are little and they are whitetails. Be careful and good luck.

OP
Jsdavis6

Jsdavis6

Lil-Rokslider
There are state conservation areas, Mark Twain National Forest, and Corp of Engineer land around several lakes. Virtually all of it holds deer and vast majority is hunt-able without any special permits. The main notable exception for hunting on public land is “Missouri State Parks”, which most don’t allow hunting even though some are pretty huge. If you’re hunting a conservation area, check that area’s website for specifics on weapons allowed and season/harvest restrictions.

North of the Missouri River is considered generally better area for big deer, but there are big deer all over the state in almost all counties except the far

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome thanks. Was looking at big muddy at Arrow rock. Just not sure about the woods or if there is CRP . Maybe even Eagles Bluff. What you think about them?
Probably need to take those type of questions to a private message

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're in the middle of the state. Lots of good Conservation Areas ranging from 20 acres to ~7,500 acres all within an hour of Columbia. The MDC website is pretty good, and the people that work there are really helpful if you want to give them a call.

Lots of options as @GunsAreFun mentioned. I live away from any big cities and rarely see other people outside of November, I'm sure closer to cities there will be more pressure.
As for the e bikes I believe they are not allowed for the most part. I think I heard that some marked trails may be opened to their use but it would only be on specific trails when they do enact that.
Mdc website has good info and if you live close to a physical office they will have maps of all the conservation areas close and people knowledgeable about those areas or be able to hook you up to them.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Just an FYI, the corp land around Mark Twain is very inaccessible and quite crowded around the access points. Would the NE part of the state be appealing?

Npike4040

FNG
Everyone wants to hunt the end of October through November and of course north Missouri. My advice is come early season and look towards western Missouri that borders Kansas. That area gets overlooked as well as early season when there are very few other hunters around. I would take a cold front in early October over a rut hunt anyday.

Rich M

WKR
I know a guy who picked up one of those week long leases and out of 4 guys, they got 4 nice bucks to 181-inches. Land owner doubled or tripled his rate after these guys left. Top notch WT hunters, most guys wouldn't have gotten those deer.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve hunted most Missouri deer regions on a mix of public and private. As already mentioned it the deer size and quality tends to be quite a bit better north of the Missouri River/I-70 but the majority of the public is in mark Twain national forest which is all south of I-70 and mostly south of I-44.

Northern Missouri hunts like Illinois/Iowa/Kansas and southern Missouri is more like Arkansas Ozarks or Eastern Tennessee.

MDC areas tend to have very well managed habitat for public areas of their respective acreage. Mark Twain national forest and a lot of the Big Muddy NWR tend to be virtually unmanaged habitat.

OP
Jsdavis6

Jsdavis6

Lil-Rokslider
Thank everyone for all the info. Haven’t nailed down a spot yet , but looks like a lot of spots to choose from.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have only hunted turkey there, but pretty sure there are some archery and muzzle loader only places, I would start there!

I have only hunted turkey there, but pretty sure there are some archery and muzzle loader only places, I would start there!
This could be good advice. But be aware that guys put time in on bow areas ALL SEASON LONG. If you have the ability to find good, pressured deer on MDC public, I raise my cup to you.
I live close to a property like that, and have seen great bucks. Finding out that national forest is a ghost town until firearms season.