MN gun deer

JakeZ WI

FNG
Planning on traveling to northern MN for later half of gun deer season this year. Looking to cut costs I would like to camp in my vehicle. Are you able to pull off the road in these remote state forrest areas to "car camp" i guess you could call it? Appears like all the designated campsites are closed during that time. I would never be in the same place two nights in a row.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
yes, almost all MN state forests allow dispersed camping, as long as you aren't blocking the road/ aren't damaging native veg, and aren't close to an actual campsite.

Usually quite a few spots to camp, watch out for the distinctions between Federal, WMA's, etc. Most place you can't camp will be posted as such. After opening weekend things tend to clear out and just about any old log landing works well.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Lol, I originally misread OP's post and thought he was talking N. Mt. OP, yes, you can - I'm in the same setup as you, except we'll be in the Chequamegon in N. WI. From the MN DNR:

Where to disperse camp​

You must camp at least one mile outside of designated campsites or campgrounds on state forest land. Park vehicles in parking lots or safely on the full shoulder of a road. Do not block road or trail traffic with your vehicle. You cannot camp at parking lots or trailheads.

Dispersed camping rules​

All dispersed campers are responsible for obeying state forest rules and regulations in Minnesota Rules, part 6100.3000 through 6100.4300 opens in a new browser tab.

• State forests are open to dispersed camping unless otherwise posted.
  • Do not dig or trench the ground around your tent.
  • Bury human waste (if vault toilets are not available) and animal parts, such as fish guts, at least 150 feet from a water body and away from areas where it could cause a nuisance or hazard to public health.
  • Collect only dead wood lying on the ground for campfires within the state forest.
  • Do not block trails, roads, or gates with your vehicle.
  • Building permanent structures of any kind is prohibited.
  • You must remove all garbage.
  • Summer dispersed camping is limited to 14 days.
  • Dispersed camping is limited to 21 days between the second Sunday in September and first Saturday in May.

OP
J

JakeZ WI

FNG
Lol, I originally misread OP's post and thought he was talking N. Mt. OP, yes, you can - I'm in the same setup as you, except we'll be in the Chequamegon in N. WI. From the MN DNR:
Im from SE WI and considered running up there too, but I hunt with my dad down south here still and he needs help if he gets anything, plus I feel its more hit or miss if theres snow durinf our season in Chem