Model 70 to 7PRC?

Dylan_907

FNG
Thinking about picking up a used model 70 in 264 win mag to build into a 7prc for a go to mountain rifle.

Is the model 70 a good action to build off of? Stock options with more modern ergos?

Thanks for any help and advice

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a few guns built of M70 classic actions. You’ll need to find a smith who knows his way around a M70, not just anyone. McMillian used to make stocks for the M70 but I’m not sure now with their new ownership. B&C, HS Precision, Bansner, Brown Precision.

Btw, it doesn’t need to be a .264wm. 7RM, .300 wm, and .338 wm all use the same action.

grfox92

WKR
Thinking about picking up a used model 70 in 264 win mag to build into a 7prc for a go to mountain rifle.

Is the model 70 a good action to build off of? Stock options with more modern ergos?

Thanks for any help and advice
I haven't done all my research yet but this is my plan for my M70. 7 PRC and soon Stockys will be releasing the VG and the sporter in carbon fiber for the M70.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
I have a few guns built of M70 classic actions. You’ll need to find a smith who knows his way around a M70, not just anyone. McMillian used to make stocks for the M70 but I’m not sure now with their new ownership. B&C, HS Precision, Bansner, Brown Precision.

Btw, it doesn’t need to be a .264wm. 7RM, .300 wm, and .338 wm all use the same action.

Is there anything specific to look for on a used m70? Possibly going to trade a savage axis with some cash for one. The one I'm looking at is an xtr

SDHNTR

WKR
Is there anything specific to look for on a used m70? Possibly going to trade a savage axis with some cash for one. The one I'm looking at is an xtr
My preference with a M70 is a CRF action. The push feed’s like the XTR lack everything that makes a M70 a M70 in my opinion. When I look for a M70 to build on, I look for a New Haven vintage Classic action.

When I had my 280AI built I found a Model 70 Classic Sporter (controlled round feed) in 270. Had the barrel swapped out with a Shilen match grade 1-9 twist 280AI barrel. Trigger adjusted to a crisp 2.5 pounds, action trued, and barrel coated with Moly Resin, and the stock pillar and glass bedded. It sure turned out nice. I think you would be well served with a Winchester Model 70 controlled round feed action.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
What's the difference between the CRF feeding and push feed? Still figuring out all the differences

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Thank you for that. Makes a lot of sense. Control fed would be optimal. If the money is right would a push fed M70 still be worth it?

Like I said I'm possibly gonna trade for it. I don't really care for the axis and the only thing to fill a void in the safe is a magnum round. Currently applying for elk in a few states

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you for that. Makes a lot of sense. Control fed would be optimal. If the money is right would a push fed M70 still be worth it?

Like I said I'm possibly gonna trade for it. I don't really care for the axis and the only thing to fill a void in the safe is a magnum round. Currently applying for elk in a few states

Push feed M70’s are one of the best PF’s that have been made. Probably the most underrated, yet solid actions that have been offered.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I'm building a rifle off a PF M70 right now and second what Form says. In fact mine is even branded as a Sears Ted Williams model 53 so even cheaper donor. The downside is everything cost more then a 700 based action. I'm doing an 8 twist .270 xcaliber barrel, Bansner stock, trued action and extended the magazine myself to shoot long monos (state regulation)

TaperPin

WKR
I really like the Winchester, even more than Remington, and it was only a quirk that I ended up a Remington guy. A number of times when I was interested in a caliber I bought a new Winchester and new Remington, shot then both for a month or more and sold the one that was in second place. Had Winchester factory barrels been slightly more accurate, all my rifles would be built on the model 70.

Because the outer round dimensions are so close, most stocks that fit a Remington can be ordered inletted for a Winchester.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Sounds like a trade for the XTR maybe the play and finding a gunsmith to rebarrel to another more available magnum will be the next challenge

grfox92

WKR
My 308 Push feed is incredibly smooth and always feeds.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My 308 Push feed is incredibly smooth and always feeds.

It’s interesting that Winchester since the 30’s has had actions that don’t bind up, yet almost none but the Europeans and Scandinavians can do so now.

SDHNTR

WKR
What's the difference between the CRF feeding and push feed? Still figuring out all the differences
Not to be snarky but one is controlled round feeding and one is not. That means it positively picks a round up out of the mag where the rim of the cartridge slips under the claw extractor. Nearly impossible to double stroke and jam the action. That’s why they are praised for dangerous game use. And it’s what made the M70 the most famous bolt action rifle of all time. A push feed M70 is a black eye to its heritage. From a time when the bean counters took over and cost cutting took precedence over quality manufacturing.

That said, I would still take a push feed model 70 any day of the week over any REM 700 or factory clone. You still have a better extractor much better trigger, better bolt release, better everything.

Pusher 70’s are not bad rifles at all. You’ll need to read through my obvious bias. They are better than most factory offerings. I have a 30-06 pusher that is slick as greased lightning and is probably the best factory rifle I’ve ever owned. I just geek it on the nostalgia of M70’s and just LOVE watching tha big ass claw work. For the right price, $600to $650, you could do pretty well with an xtr action.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Sounds like a trade for the XTR maybe the play and finding a gunsmith to rebarrel to another more available magnum will be the next challenge
Another plus is finding a smith who can handle a push feed M70 should be much easier than a CRF as they don’t require an extractor cut.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Not snarky at all after thinking about it, I realized what yall were getting at about the push feed M70 being better than the common push feed rifles that are common today. I deleted that post in after thought probably as you were replying. I appreciate yall taking the time to reply

grfox92

WKR
It’s interesting that Winchester since the 30’s has had actions that don’t bind up, yet almost none but the Europeans and Scandinavians can do so now.
It's also the interesting the lack of aftermarket support for M70s considering how long they have been produced. I'm pumped that Stockys is coming out with a VG.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It's also the interesting the lack of aftermarket support for M70s considering how long they have been produced. I'm pumped that Stockys is coming out with a VG.

Mostly I believe it’s a consequence of Remington courting or outright catering to the “shooting”market and Winchester focusing on the hunting market. Both did both of course, however in general Rem pushed “shooting” more than Winchester.