Modified G hook

TxTrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Just a little tid bit for all you DIY guys.
I used a dremel to cut the bottom bar on the G hook and then use it just like a replacement buckle.
Also seems to be very strong still.

image.jpg

WoodBow

WKR
If you cut the slot at an angle, like how the repair buckles are made, you will find it is easier to get the strap in and out.

bbrown

WKR
Did the same thing myself but cut the middle bar. Worked out slick and tons of uses but connecting the top of the cargo panel directly to the duplex frame and using these at the 4 points of the grab-it for quicker and easier on/off are my favorites so far.
View attachment 32704

trophytaka

Lil-Rokslider
you can also cut that whole center bar out and your three bar sliders will fit thru it and tee off on it as well. works slick

I had thought about doing this when SHTF was doing the posts about the Kuiu packs on the Kifaru frames, but was concerned about strength after the cut. This may work for a lot of applications, but wonder if it would be able to support something as heavy as a pack.

OP
T

TxTrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I had thought about doing this when SHTF was doing the posts about the Kuiu packs on the Kifaru frames, but was concerned about strength after the cut. This may work for a lot of applications, but wonder if it would be able to support something as heavy as a pack.

I hooked a strap to it and hung from the rafters and it did great, and I wasn't easy on it. I weigh 180.
I did my grab it also. I just cut the 3 bars off and put theses on, a lot better.
I also made up some kifaru k- clips and use them for my compression straps instead of the auto lock buckles.

OP
T

TxTrapper

Lil-Rokslider
TxTrapper, I'd like to see your homemade k clips please. Thanks, mrbill

It's like Kifaru makes with the G hook and ladderlocks connected with webbing.
I can take a pic if you want. I may have called them the wrong thing:)

BUT... If you were thinking the K clip I think you could still use the g hook and just cut the hook off, or a metal three bar slider and cut one side.
I was just thinking after I posted the initial response.....

Last edited:
Tx, yes those are K-connectors you were describing. I've made several myself in custom lengths. Super handy for sure.

I had thought about cutting the hook off a g-hook for a fake k clip but after comparing the two I'd rather have the original k-clip.

Thanks for your response. Bill