Mongolia - flight routes, airlines, firearm considerations

TMA805

FNG
Headed to Ulaanbaatar Mongolia this September. Looking for experiences, recommendations, etc. regarding flight routes and specific airlines.

Someone told me one option is going through Incheon International (Seoul) South Korea. But initial research on Korean airlines states they do not allow firearms. I looked at Delta out of ATL but looks like they codeshare with Korean Air.

I'll be starting out in Dallas. I'm flexible going out west first (LAX, SFO) or east (ATL, JFK, etc.). Thoughts? Thanks.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
maybe using a travel agent that knows a little about hauling firearms might help you. ggod luck on the preparation. what your outfitter is recommending?

MntHunter

FNG
I am going in August. Flights booked through Turkish, Dulles to Istanbul to Ulaanbaatar. You do have to declare firearms in advance.

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. Outfitter did make one travel agent recommendation of which I'll contact. Just trying to get some info on options available prior to engaging the travel agent.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
If the outfitters just gonna pick you up in Ulaanbaatar, fly Turkish airlines, and go through Istanbul. Give yourself enough time for layovers or delayed flights. Spend the extra money and get tickets that you can change in case something unexpected happens. Sounds like an awesome adventure! if you choose to go with Turkish airlines book directly with them, it’s easier to deal with them that way, purchase the sporting equipment checked baggage it’s an additional fee that will cover you for your rifle

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Turkish is great. If you go Turkish, I wouldn't pay the sporting equipment fee ahead of time. They sometimes won't charge you state side. They will usually charge you on the return. They'll just do it at check in if they're going to do it. You do need to register your gun ahead of time with the airline.

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
@Truaxdw, @chizelhead,
Thanks.
Yes, outfitter picking me up in UB and will have all rifle permits done, ready to go.
I've flown on Turkish once last year through Instanbul to Adana with rifle and had no issues. I did also book directly for the exact reason of having flexibility to for on the fly flight changes & not having to go through 3rd party. Sounds like a logical choice again.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I flew Korean Air when I hunted Mongolia. No issues with our rifles. Depending on where you are flying out of, Korean via Seoul is a shorter route than flying the other way around the world through Istanbul, but as of last year Korean Air was quite a bit more expensive than on Turkish.

Incheon airport (Seoul) is a HUGE airport. If you go this route, there are complimentary airport excursions depending on the length of your layover. My layover wasn't long enough to visit the DMZ, but we were able to go to the Yellow Sea coast not very far from North Korea.

+1 for Turkish if going out of DFW.

Look at the flight schedule though and make sure they are operating a 787 instead of the 777s that have older cabins. I also had fellow passengers who were hunters on my last flight from DFW who were carrying rifles.

The best part of flying Turkish is that they have sleep rooms in the Istanbul airport lounge that are complimentary if flying biz class. Definitely really nice to have if you have a long layover since the first leg is 11-12 hours overnight.

I've used them to fly from Texas to Middle East for work and they are much better than United or Lufthansa options for getting to that part of the world.

Suera

FNG
One more vote for Turkish airlines. I flight many times with them with weapons and never had an issue. Also they usually have the flights at time.
Good luck in Mongolia!!